Gibson Brands Forums

Gibby Melody Maker SG

RS1976

Ok... so the Melody Makers that came out last spring didn't go over so well or what?!?!?! I mean, when the Gibby Melody Maker came out about one year ago they were sellin for about 539 before taxes. Now... back in September/October that Music123 was offering a "rebate" on them somethin like $140 off etc... I bought one locally here at a music store for $423 (including tax)

I have always loved Melody Makers. When I had the single coil version from 2007 I modded it with a JB junior and it could stand with the best of them. I sold it, and then played a Jonas Bros for a time before I flipped it... then next I used a BC Rich 10 string because I use a lot of open tunings... and then THIS guitar presented itself...

ok... For a satin finish, its actually pretty damn shiny. I bought the White SG with Black pick guard. Its a pretty cool axe. even the Gibson Delux Tuners (which I usually throw away the mninute I get home) are solid!

sos what happened? people wanted "more" they've been experimenting with the cheaper models for a bit... who knows.

I play in open tunings, and use violin bows, ebows, delay and I encourage you guys to give the MM a try. and for all its worth, $423 for a new Gibby isn't a bad price... pics to follow later....

I actually posted this at MLP, but I'll post it here too because I dont want to type it out again.

I was intent on buying one of the SG Melody Makers. I tried out four of them at Guitar Center. I just couldnt hang with them. Structurally, they are solid and sound. Great neck joint, real mahogany (as opposed to Luan), deluxe Kluson tuners and the neato PLEK system. But beyond that, oi, no thanks. The MM's seemed great online, but in person I was very dissapointed.

Three of them had severely warped pickguards and the one that didnt had a very crooked truss rod cover. It wasnt even close to straight. The bodies had terribly deep sanding marks in them and the finishes were not satin like advertised. They were flat finishes. The black ones looked like auto primer. The weight of these guitars was all over the board. Some were very light, while others were of a typical wieght. Top it all off with a baked maple fingerboard and a ceramic pickup and these just werent the guitar for me. I didnt like the feel of that baked maple at all.

I understand that the MM's are extreme budget guitars for Gibson, but it didnt seem like quality control was up to snuff. I can see how someone might want this for a workhorse/beater guitar, but thats just not my bag, I guess. Not for $400+ on sale...originally $539 or something like that.

I ended up walking out with an Epiphone 1961 SG Special and no regrets.

Anyway, I really wanted to like them and I wanted to get back into a Gibson as well. But not enough to spend $400 on one of the MM's. Had they paid just a little bit more attention to detail, I might have pulled the trigger. They just looked sloppy to me. I couldnt get past the baked maple either. That stuff is just wrong.

Totally different beast, dem00n. I'm sure that the 2-pickup MM's are miles above the SG, LP, V and Explorer MM's they came out with last year.

Maybe so, ive played the new MM and for the price i do think they are worth it. Might change the pup for something better though. I saw a few on sale for a really cheap a wild back, tons were sold that day.

muchas gracias for an honest reply... so far so good...i can see how a player used to dual humbuckers needs more control over the tone, but my MM seems ok.

i've just always dug simple punk rock guitars. [tongue]

Maybe so, ive played the new MM and for the price i do think they are worth it. Might change the pup for something better though. I saw a few on sale for a really cheap a wild back, tons were sold that day.

Honestly, if it werent for the warped pickguards, crooked truss covers and baked maple, I might have went for it. I know that the baked maple is purely a matter of preference and not quality.....and I might have been able to adjust to it in time. I also know that I cant expect too much from this type of Gibson budget line, but I already have a single-humbucker guitar that I like much more than the MM's I played, so it wasnt worth it for me. I'm also not a guitarist in a band in need of a workhorse, which is what these seem to be aimed at.

I dunno, maybe my GC got in a "monday" batch or something. The LP MM in white looked much better at a glance than the SG's though. Too bad I'm not in to Les Pauls.

muchas gracias for an honest reply... so far so good...i can see how a player used to dual humbuckers needs more control over the tone, but my MM seems ok.

i've just always dug simple punk rock guitars. [tongue]

I like simple guitars. I have an Epiphone S-500 that I modded to a 1-pup/1-volume control guitar, and my daughter has an Epi SG Junior that I like to play. I probably have enough 1-pup guitars anyway. What I really need is a bigger budget. [biggrin]

I can try.

DSCN0849-1.jpg

Most Gibson models are being made in limited runs these days. It helps keep the demand up on even the cheaper models. I'm dying for a Jonas Brothers MM. I think you will more MMs in the feature.

Ok... so the Melody Makers that came out last spring didn't go over so well or what?!?!?! I mean, when the Gibby Melody Maker came out about one year ago they were sellin for about 539 before taxes. Now... back in September/October that Music123 was offering a "rebate" on them somethin like $140 off etc... I bought one locally here at a music store for $423 (including tax)

I have always loved Melody Makers. When I had the single coil version from 2007 I modded it with a JB junior and it could stand with the best of them. I sold it, and then played a Jonas Bros for a time before I flipped it... then next I used a BC Rich 10 string because I use a lot of open tunings... and then THIS guitar presented itself...

ok... For a satin finish, its actually pretty damn shiny. I bought the White SG with Black pick guard. Its a pretty cool axe. even the Gibson Delux Tuners (which I usually throw away the mninute I get home) are solid!

sos what happened? people wanted "more" they've been experimenting with the cheaper models for a bit... who knows.

I play in open tunings, and use violin bows, ebows, delay and I encourage you guys to give the MM a try. and for all its worth, $423 for a new Gibby isn't a bad price... pics to follow later....

I agree with you, I purchased one with a $100 off from MF when they first came out in Satin Blue. It is a very good guitar. I have no problems with mine. I love the baked maple fret board. Now I do have other SG that cost more and play better, but not by much. For the blow out prices they where go'n for it was a best buy.

I can try.

DSCN0849-1.jpg

Most Gibson models are being made in limited runs these days. It helps keep the demand up on even the cheaper models. I'm dying for a Jonas Brothers MM. I think you will more MMs in the feature.

Much better condition, but you just can't beat the neck pickup in mine. It kills any Strat I've ever played in that department.

Archived