Gibson Brands Forums

R.I.P. Earl Scruggs

tazzboy

I knew little of Earl Scruggs the person, but I always found it interesting that he could come up with functionally a new approach to banjo playing and not only made fans for himself and the instrument, he also didn't catch much static for his creative approach to the instrument. That latter in itself says something rather important.

m

I've worked in the bluegrass world for many years. I didn't know Earl very well, but I've got some close friends that knew him very, very well. Earl was an innovator in every sense of the world. The 1946 version of Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys featuring Earl, Lester Flatt, and fiddler 'Chubby' Wise is still the blueprint that bluegrass bands follow today. Comepare these two versions. The original, and a new one by one of the top current bluegrass bands, The Del McCoury Band.

Steve Martin who, apparently, took a lesson or two from Earl, wrote this about Mr. Scruggs before his passing:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/01/steve-martin-earl-scruggs.html

In the olden days, the banjo was used by the comedian of a show, dating back to the minstrelsies a couple centuryies ago. Earl brought respectability to the instrument. I love the Uncle Dave Macon (a comedic banjo player) quote, "That boy can play banjo, but ain't a damn bit funny."

We're richer for having met you Earl. We're poorer now that you're gone, but still richer. Catch you in the next life!

Rest in Piece Earl the Pearl,

I can think of no others that made that banjo smile the same. Love listening to his and the bluegrass music he played. That old Martha White Flour Hour music show with Earl & Lester was sure great music.

Hope he had all his old friends playing for him as he came home.

Aster

Archived