Gibson Brands Forums

Yo Nick.......

Buc McMaster

Buc, still working on it. I want to change strings on several guitars before getting serious on the comparisons, but I'm going away on business for a couple of weeks, so it will have to wait until I get back in mid-April.

I'm using the Red Bears when I flat-pick now, but am concentrating on finger-picking with the new L-OO right now.

Maybe it's just to justify having spent almost $50 for a couple of picks that the Red Bears are growing on me........

Guys i am sorry. I have not yet tried the Blue Chip or the Red bear picks yet. Funds have been a little tight so I have not made the move to purchase any yet. I will let you know when I do.

JM

TAKE NOTE!:

Gibson employee can't afford picks.

Think about that next time you complain about prices.

And the Blue Chip picks run $30 a piece!! I usually buy 3 picks for $1 and the herco thumb Picks are a bit more than that. At some point I will try them out but I need to be flush with funds when I do.

JM

Blue Chip and Red Bear are both about $25-$30 bucks a pop. I went into a panic the first night I had them, after I dropped one that fell into the back of my Fender Champ, and stuck there. I couldn't find it until the next day. I've rarely thought I'd lost $25 so quickly!

And the Blue Chip picks run $30 a piece!! I usually buy 3 picks for $1 and the herco thumb Picks are a bit more than that. At some point I will try them out but I need to be flush with funds when I do.

JM

I hear. I bevel my picks at home and therefore pay only $14, Red Bear's 'seconds' category price. You have to email them from the site, ask if they have these leftovers and Monica will send you a list of available styles. There weren't any at the time so I just asked for a light 'Classic' unbeveled and got the low price. I like 'em thinner than they'll make, but do like the tone that comes off for flatpicking country blues. Not got my strumming stride with them yet, and the Blue Chip, a thick, rather clunky pick is even harder to handle for that, but the BC produces a unique, almost amplified single note tone that, while devoid of any treble, is rich and bell-like off a very light touch with the edge of the pick.

I hear. I bevel my picks at home and therefore pay only $14, Red Bear's 'seconds' category price. You have to email them from the site, ask if they have these leftovers and Monica will send you a list of available styles. There weren't any at the time so I just asked for a light 'Classic' unbeveled and got the low price. I like 'em thinner than they'll make, but do like the tone that comes off for flatpicking country blues. Not got my strumming stride with them yet, and the Blue Chip, a thick, rather clunky pick is even harder to handle for that, but the BC produces a rich, almost amplified single note tone that, while devoid of any treble, is rich and bell-like off a very light touch with the edge of the pick.

He works for Gibson...he ain't allowed to do 'finish' work on pre-made picks.

Then, they would come and take ALL the picks.

For all the yawning fingerpickers, I noticed that Red Bear now make a thumbpick, and Blue Chip makes Thumb and Finger picks. (And Reso picks!).

I have not tried them, but living here at the end of the guitar universe means I shall have to mail order to try!

$40 for the Blue Chip thumbpick - must be made out of wood fired and dried ex-bankers testicles.....

BluesKing777.

For all the yawning fingerpickers, I noticed that Red Bear now make a thumbpick, and Blue Chip makes Thumb and Finger picks. (And Reso picks!).

I have not tried them, but living here at the end of the guitar universe means I shall have to mail order to try!

$40 for the Blue Chip thumbpick - must be made out of wood fired and dried ex-bankers testicles.....

If that's true I'll be sending mine back to Buc.

BluesKing777.

BluesKing777.

[laugh][laugh][lol]

Archived