Gibson Brands Forums

Video games

I know ALOT about games, I spent 15 years as a Tester, Designer and Producer in the games industry.

Worked on GTA1, GTA London and GTA2, Spec Ops, Hidden & Dangerous, Exhumed and many many others (those were just the first ones I wored on) :P :)

Dont play so much any more though as you get a bit sick of it after a while.. In reality games havent changed much in the last 10 years or so when it comes to genres and gameplay, but obviously todays graphics are far greater than they used to be (they are amazing these days).. so I think anyone who plays games for long enough will get bored as most of them are the same..

They need to invent new ways of playing (like the Wii and the Kenetic etc) but the industry also needs to wake up.. If GTA had never existed and someone tried to make it today it would never have gotten made as it was so different to anything else at the time. And today everything has to be proved that it will make its money back or they cann it, which is why you get so many licensed games and sequels cos thats all they trust (most of the time).

Its a shame really.

But most recently I got a Nintendo 3Ds as a xmas pressie to myself and have been re-playing Zelda (ocarena of time) and its still such a great game even though its like 15 years old now.. The N64 was probably my fav console it had the best games, simple as that Starfox, Mariocart, Mario World 3D, Goldeneye, Zelda and just for those alone was worth it.. Awesome..

As for old PC games, I used to play Quake, Unreal, Command and Conqure (man that was amazing), F1 Racing and cos I worked with a bunch of testers at that time we would play these networked during lunch time and stuff... those were the good days :)

A lot of the more popular games like that, that are PC versions have codes and stuff and it might make it hard to use if you buy it used.

I'm not looking to spend over 20 bucks on a game like I said, I found some older ones for like 5 bucks a CD used.

Just car racing and stuff. Ive always liked that stuff.

I'm just hoping they work lol

I actually found one game that I used to have and it was in mint condition 10 years old and it was 90 something dollars. I passed on that =)

Also you know that you can download alot of these games legaly for free.. I know GTA 1 is available to download on the official web site and im sure doom would be too

Also just came to mind Duke Nuke Em on PC that was a great FPS :)

I assume GTA means Grand Theft Auto right?

My brother has them on his consoles.

Yup thats right...

I bet he has GTA 3 though (the first 3d one).. all the old ones I worked on were a top down view and 2d graphics.

Same gameplay though..

I got another question. Aren't all PC games made where they can be used like when a new computer comes out?

I found out a long time ago that some PC games require use of a lot of computer memory.

Isn't it best to get older versions for this reason?

PC games are made to the best of what ever is available at the time and will have a minimum PC spec that you need to run it. Sp yes your right that new games will require huge amounts of memory to run.. BUT you may get stuck depending on what operating system you are using on your PC (Windows XP or 7).

Games have to also support the types of graphics and sound cards you may have aswell which is where it satrts to get complicated.

Alos if you do try and run an old game, if you have windows 7 you can right click on the .exe file that runs the game and run it in a compatibility mode (go to properties and then the compatibility tab).

What computer do you have and what operating system and memory and speed does it have?

I know ALOT about games, I spent 15 years as a Tester, Designer and Producer in the games industry........Worked on.......Exhumed......those were the good days :)

I've never bought anything except the original PS-1 (the old shape) but a taster for "Exhumed" was on the demo disc and I really enjoyed working out the 3D topography of the thing.

"Good Game, Good Game! " as old Brucie would no doubt say!

I liked the problem-solving part of the early Tomb Raider series but didn't like it when the emphasis went much more towards killing things rather than using intelligence to solve 'problems'.

P.

I got another question. Aren't all PC games made where they can be used like when a new computer comes out?

I found out a long time ago that some PC games require use of a lot of computer memory.

Also thinking about it (its been a while since I played a PC game).. most of them give you options to turn the resolution and detail of the graphics down.. but even then if your computers REALLY old it will still struggle..

Yes ludz,

I'd stick to the older games, cause modern games will eat up your pc. If you go on IGN's website, you can rank all the pc games via rating and age. Pick a few you fancy and do a google search, you'll be surprised whats out there :)

@Rab, that was such a true statement about the lack of creativity in the gaming industry. I guess it also could be applied to music, films, etc.

And Orcainia of time is an absolute classic, I have resisted replaying, cause sometimes they are just best left in the past.

I've never bought anything except the original PS-1 (the old shape) but a taster for "Exhumed" was on the demo disc and I really enjoyed working out the 3D topography of the thing.

"Good Game, Good Game! " as old Brucie would no doubt say!

I liked the problem-solving part of the early Tomb Raider series but didn't like it when the emphasis went much more towards killing things rather than using intelligence to solve 'problems'.

P.

Yes.. haha.. my first ever week as a tester I was asked to work on the weekend (we did that alot)... And we were testing exhumed on the PC networked.. It was pretty much a finished game so all we had to do was try different amounts of players and just go at it.. They bought us pizza for lunch and I got paid to have fun playing a first person shooter.. It was that day I knew I was staying in the games industry lol.(even though im sort of out of it now) [crying]

And yes I too remember the first Tomb Raider,. GREAT game with all the puzzle stuff

Yes ludz,

I'd stick to the older games, cause modern games will eat up your pc. If you go on IGN's website, you can rank all the pc games via rating and age. Pick a few you fancy and do a google search, you'll be surprised whats out there :)

@Rab, that was such a true statement about the lack of creativity in the gaming industry. I guess it also could be applied to music, films, etc.

And Orcainia of time is an absolute classic, I have resisted replaying, cause sometimes they are just best left in the past.

Yeah its a crying shame (and dont get me started lol).. But yes, it took the games industry only ten years before they started getting shareholders and investors involved (as soon as people realised there was money to be made). As soon as that happened like as you say with music, films and even sport where its all just about the money we were doomed.. We had to justify our whacky ideas to a board and a bunch of marketing idiots who wouldnt know a good game idea if it smacked them round the face (and im holding my tongue there :P)

and trying to get an original game made became almost impossible..

its still like that today. Dont get me wrong there are some good developers out there trying to push the boundaries but they are so few and far between(and usually independent).. Hopefully they will wake up one day because I know from experience that its only by innovation and creativity that we get new, interesting and even inspiring product. To do that you have to take risks sometimes and they just arnt willing to do that today.

The other obvious issue with games is they concentrate too much on making them pretty and the gameplay suffers. The reason old games are so good is thats all that had, gameplay, cos the graphics sucked lol..

(sorry to go on, but as you can see this is a very personal subject matter to me) :)

Its a windows 7 but the games I bought I know for a fact are 10 years old

Could you make your new computer "downgrade" sorta speak, since then a windows XP was the newest thing and the Windows 7 wasn't invented yet?

That's was what I was trying to say.

I have an HP pavilion windows 7. I'm not even sure about how much memory it has really.

I only use it for doing stuff online 3/4 of the time

That sounds like a reasonable machine.. And actually Windows 7 is far more efficient than any of the older versions and is actually a better OS than XP for slower computers.

As I say, what you need to do is right click on the Icon of the game once its installed (the games .exe file)

go to Properties and then in the tabs go to Compatibility

tick the little box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

then you will see the drop down list where it has all of the different versions of windows

Find out what the games minimium spec is and what system it was designed for and choose that windows version.. It may work.. :)

edit: also to find out the spec of your machine.. click on the windows icon at the bottom left. Right click on Computer (on the right) and click properties.. that will tell you how much RAM you have and what speed the processor is

Long time World of Warcraft player and currently playing Star Wars: The Old Republic.

My last console system was an original Xbox. I only PC Game now. I still have most of my old games and consoles tho.

SEGA Genesis with the original CD add-on and the 32X module. I also have the SEGA Nomad color portable.

SEGA Dreamcast

Original Sony Playstation and the first Xbox.

I used to still have my Panasonic 3DO system with "Way of the Warrior" & "Wing Commander 3" but traded it last year. I miss it.

My brother got me into Dark Age of Camelot years back,was fun back in the day,you can try it free for 14 days.Can be lots of fun if you make friends and get into groups,especially as a stealther. darkageofcamelot.com Fair warning though,it can be very time consuming,it was nothing to play for 8-10 hours at a pop,very addicting..........dont say i didnt warn ya lol.

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

Get Dosbox download, get ms-dos versions of X-COM (not windows version they play too fast)

Install Dosbox, install games (usually helps to make a FAT16 partition on a harddrive) - 1gB will do (1024mB)

Play games until you win. Only other game to have to me is Civilization IV (or the new one Civilization V) but those are newer

and play in regular Windows.

Well, that's about it for me for computer games if I even play anymore since I have gotten older now.

X-COM Apocalypse - don't let the brainsuckers get you.

Only the first three X-COMS are any good - UFO Defense, Terror from the Deep (really hard), and Apocalypse

New one suppose to be coming out sometime - a whatever it is - shooter sorta perhaps who knows, but does

not satisfy the old customers who say "Blah about it. Can be looked up at Gamespot website.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this..

Theres a new service called Onlive.. Which allows you to play games on your PC but without them actually running on your PC, instead its a sort of live streaming service (or like a remote desktop) so their servers are doing all the hard work and you can play it on any PC like any web service.. Pretty cool..

They have all the latest games.. and some for free

http://www.onlive.com/?region=US

The Need for Speed series are excellent driving/racing games. Some of the older versions, like Porsche Unleashed, run well in a modern environment.

Shooters? Get the Battlefield series... 1942, Vietnam, BF2, 2142.... all good games and should play well on your box if you have any kind of decent video card. Might also try the new version of Tribes... Google Tribes Ascend and getcha a beta key... play for free and see if you like it [thumbup]

Don't know if you're into it or not, but RollerCoaster Tycoon should run great on your system..... cool older game [biggrin]

I know ALOT about games, I spent 15 years as a Tester, Designer and Producer in the games industry.

Worked on GTA1, GTA London and GTA2, Spec Ops, Hidden & Dangerous, Exhumed and many many others (those were just the first ones I wored on) :P :)

Dont play so much any more though as you get a bit sick of it after a while.. In reality games havent changed much in the last 10 years or so when it comes to genres and gameplay, but obviously todays graphics are far greater than they used to be (they are amazing these days).. so I think anyone who plays games for long enough will get bored as most of them are the same..

They need to invent new ways of playing (like the Wii and the Kenetic etc) but the industry also needs to wake up.. If GTA had never existed and someone tried to make it today it would never have gotten made as it was so different to anything else at the time. And today everything has to be proved that it will make its money back or they cann it, which is why you get so many licensed games and sequels cos thats all they trust (most of the time).

Its a shame really.

But most recently I got a Nintendo 3Ds as a xmas pressie to myself and have been re-playing Zelda (ocarena of time) and its still such a great game even though its like 15 years old now.. The N64 was probably my fav console it had the best games, simple as that Starfox, Mariocart, Mario World 3D, Goldeneye, Zelda and just for those alone was worth it.. Awesome..

As for old PC games, I used to play Quake, Unreal, Command and Conqure (man that was amazing), F1 Racing and cos I worked with a bunch of testers at that time we would play these networked during lunch time and stuff... those were the good days :)

Doom, Quake, C&C... Yeah, I remember them, Half Life is another good one from the 90's. A Bridge To Far was a cool little overhead 2D game where you had troops, tank's etc to command on a turn basis.

Newer ones are Medieval Total War http://www.totalwar.com/medieval, Mount and Blade http://www.taleworlds.com/, Cesar and a few other's. I been playing MMO's lately, my fav being Pirates of the Burning Sea, its a free game that's caricature based and very fun as I've gotten into a active SOC (group) of player's that work together to get thing's done http://www.burningsea.com/page/home.

I've gotten in on some Beta testing but never as a job.

Doom, Quake, C&C... Yeah, I remember them, Half Life is another good one from the 90's. A Bridge To Far was a cool little overhead 2D game where you had troops, tank's etc to command on a turn basis.

Newer ones are Medieval Total War http://www.totalwar.com/medieval, Mount and Blade http://www.taleworlds.com/, Cesar and a few other's. I been playing MMO's lately, my fav being Pirates of the Burning Sea, its a free game that's caricature based and very fun as I've gotten into a active SOC (group) of player's that work together to get thing's done http://www.burningsea.com/page/home.

I've gotten in on some Beta testing but never as a job.

Yeah id almost forgotten about Half life, that was amazing.. Was one of the first proper story driven FPS's that wasnt just about shoot anything that moves on the screen... BUT Half Life 2 has to go down as one of the best games ever made. They truely nailed that one. It dragged you into the story from the first few minutes you start playing (I may have to re-play that one day :))

Ahh they were great times.. its all become somewhat sterile these days..

Ohh and C&C 2 Red Alert.. now that was a game that must have sucked months from my life.. but worth every second.. we used to play that networked at lunch, man ive had some battles I can tell you :P :)

Yeah id almost forgotten about Half life, that was amazing.. Was one of the first proper story driven FPS's that wasnt just about shoot anything that moves on the screen... BUT Half Life 2 has to go down as one of the best games ever made. They truely nailed that one. It dragged you into the story from the first few minutes you start playing (I may have to re-play that one day :))

Ahh they were great times.. its all become somewhat sterile these days..

Ohh and C&C 2 Red Alert.. now that was a game that must have sucked months from my life.. but worth every second.. we used to play that networked at lunch, man ive had some battles I can tell you :P :)

The first two War Craft game's where good to, I think Red Alert and War Craft 2 were the first 2 games I bought for myself when they came out in mid 1990's. The others I played later on or borrowed from my son as he was a kid in the 90's.

Archived