Gibson Brands Forums

Black stain on my new white les paul.

gene

Hello,

A month ago i bought a gibson les paul studio(alpine white gold hardware), but on one day i saw a black stain on the edge of the guitar (see picture's).

i read it was because the Nitrocellulose Lacquer absorbes the paint from my black t-shirts, but my question is: is there a way to not let the stain get bigger, and how can i let it disapear or atleast get it away a little.

Greetings Gene Troost.

Hello,

A month ago i bought a gibson les paul studio(alpine white gold hardware), but on one day i saw a black stain on the edge of the guitar (see picture's).

i read it was because the Nitrocellulose Lacquer absorbes the paint from my black t-shirts, but my question is: is there a way to not let the stain get bigger, and how can i let it disapear or atleast get it away a little.

Greetings Gene Troost.

I've had a white guitar for over 25 years, and it's still white, and I've never heard of lacquer reacting with black t-shirts must admit. Very strange idea.

Hello Gene! That's a typical part for stains on a LP. This area gets rubbed against your shirt the most while playing. My 50s Tribute GT also got darkened there, because of continous abrasion. The stains are more visible on a white guitar than on any other. I do not know the cure (I am not a luthier), but I know how to prevent: keep the guitar "sealed" with polish and watch what clothes You wear while playing. Cheers... Bence

Hello Gene! That's a typical part for stains on a LP. This area gets rubbed against your shirt the most while playing. My 50s Tribute GT also got darkened there, because of continous abrasion. The stains are more visible on a white guitar than on any other. I do not know the cure (I am not a luthier), but I know how to prevent: keep the guitar "sealed" with polish and watch what clothes You wear while playing. Cheers... Bence

Hello,

Thanks for the fast responding,i will keep it sealed now then but wich polish do you prefer?

I've had a white guitar for over 25 years, and it's still white, and I've never heard of lacquer reacting with black t-shirts must admit. Very strange idea.

You must live a sheltered life - away from nitrocellulose lacquer. This is a well know property of nitro - keep it away from solvents, dyes (even dry dyed cloth), certain cleaners, soft pliable plastic, foam, rubber, among other substances. Watch out with waxes - don't let the wax sit on the nitro, wipe it off and buff asap.

Welcome Gene -

Sorry to read about your situation.

As for wax products - Gibson pump polish for quick cleanups. Virtuoso Cleaner for deep cleaning. Virtuoso Polish of a great seal.

Hello,

Greetings Gene Troost.

You could probably try some Virtuoso guitar cleaner, and polish. The cleaner gets rid of the hazy white 'bloom' that can sometimes appear when the nitro reacts with the acid in sweat. Works a treat for that, so maybe it will do so for your black marks. Nothing else I tried did any good.

You must live a sheltered life - away from nitrocellulose lacquer. This is a well know property of nitro - keep it away from solvents, dyes (even dry dyed cloth), certain cleaners, soft pliable plastic, foam, rubber, among other substances. Watch out with waxes - don't let the wax sit on the nitro, wipe it off and buff asap.

Welcome Gene -

Sorry to read about your situation.

As for wax products - Gibson pump polish for quick cleanups. Virtuoso Cleaner for deep cleaning. Virtuoso Polish of a great seal.

No No I've gigged with it a long time, but as you say the lacquer is probably not nitrocellulose. Never heard of it before.

Hello Gene! I use the Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish and I am very satisfied with it. Of course Gibson's own compound should be great too, since it was made with their own instruments in mind. Cheers... Bence

Hello Gene! I use the Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish and I am very satisfied with it. Of course Gibson's own compound should be great too, since it was made with their own instruments in mind. Cheers... Bence

Thank you guys for helpin me out,

i read alot of good stuff about the Virtuoso cleaner and polish.

Just one last question i live in The Netherlands,

but i cant find any shop where they sell the Virtuoso cleaner and polish so do you guys know where i should order it?

Thanks again and greetings Gene.

What colour is the lining of your guitar case? I have known of cases where the dye from the lining of cases has leaked into the finish of guitars (not just white ones either). In fact I think there was a run of pink lined Gibson cases years ago where this was a particular problem.

Be careful using guitar stands and hangers too with that white guitar as the black from the stand/hanger will leach into the guitar including the neck. If you leave it on a stand or on a hangar put some white cotton material (eg pieces of an old pure white T shirt) over the stand or hanger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gene! I had the same problem. Living in Hungary, the nearest dealer I could find is in Manchester, UK. I've ordered it from here: http://theguitarrepairworkshop.com/virtuoso-polish/. Contact them with confidence, very nice people, with great attitude towards customers. Within 3 days You will receive it. Cheers... Bence

Hello,

I finaly got the stuff, but how to use it just with a cotton cloth?

And do i have to get my humbuckers/Bigsby/knobs of the guitar, to rub it in everywere or could i just rub over the humbuckers/Bigsby/knobs?

Thx and Greetings Gene Troost.

Hello Gene! You don't have to remove anything from the guitar except for the pickguard. Use it as described in the instructions: rub a few drops of Cleaner with circular motions all over body. Do not use it on the fingerboard (that needs lemon oil once a year). When You are done, use the Polish the same way. It will not harm plastics or metal as long as You wipe it off entirely! Don't let them dry on the surface of the guitar, they will cause green rust-like spots!!! Use new pure cotton cloth everytime. Cheers... Bence

I gotta go with KL,s post about the inside color of your case.I had a 1996 white LP studio a few years ago and the case was brown tweed on the outside(that dosent matter but it was a beautiful case) and that fuzzy pinkish fur with the same color shroud.After a while my guitar started getting pinkish thin stripes on it.After a bunch of using my brain power I realized it was comming from my case,from what I,ve heard it happens more on very hot days when your guitar it in it,s case.So is the inside of your case black?

I gotta go with KL,s post about the inside color of your case.I had a 1996 white LP studio a few years ago and the case was brown tweed on the outside(that dosent matter but it was a beautiful case) and that fuzzy pinkish fur with the same color shroud.After a while my guitar started getting pinkish thin stripes on it.After a bunch of using my brain power I realized it was comming from my case,from what I,ve heard it happens more on very hot days when your guitar it in it,s case.So is the inside of your case black?

My case is white, but my clothing black, and iam warm.^^

Hello Gene! You don't have to remove anything from the guitar except for the pickguard. Use it as described in the instructions: rub a few drops of Cleaner with circular motions all over body. Do not use it on the fingerboard (that needs lemon oil once a year). When You are done, use the Polish the same way. It will not harm plastics or metal as long as You wipe it off entirely! Don't let them dry on the surface of the guitar, they will cause green rust-like spots!!! Use new pure cotton cloth everytime. Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the reply i was gone for a while so didnt have the time to do it, but i will remove the pickguard tomorrow and start rubbin.

Greetings Gene.

Hello Gene! Good to hear from You again! Work carefully, don't rush! Mainly, let the compound work: You don't have to apply big force. Remove any residue when done, because it can damage the finish otherwise. Watch out for hard to reach places: below pot knobs, bridge and tailpiece (better remove this two as well, if You are able to set intonation on Your own later). Good luck! Cheers... Bence

One more thing: I did try Virtuoso on my poly-finished Tele. It works great on that finish too! Even on plastics. The black bakelite scratch-plate became hazy from anchoring my pinky on it, and it made it shiny and clean again. Great stuff for sure! Cheers... Bence

Archived