Gibson Brands Forums

Good news, bad news....NEW EVIDENCE

Buc McMaster

I do agree that there is more than one side to a story. I did send the luthier in question an email which he has not responded to and I spoke with him on the phone today. He still does not admit any fault in this....that's his side. He claims to have only rubbed the top with lemon oil to clean off the pickguard residue. I could be wrong in this but I do not believe that lemon oil would buff what was a matte finish to a high gloss that it is now. My previous photos and posts on the subject stand without modification. I stand by my claim that my guitar was not scratched, did not have a gloss finish on the top and did not have a blistered finish on the back...that's my side. Even if the luthier had admitted fault and offered to repair it I will never again trust this man with a guitar, even for a string change. I will return the instrument to Bozeman for repairs and whatever expense they deem necessary. Lesson learned......the hard way.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah - lessons learned the hard way... Me too.

That's why every time I see my luthier I tell him several times that I love him (I write these words in e-mails too and I really meen it!) and only one time I make him to promise me only one thing: that he will not die before I die!

Because If I die before him he will loose just a customer.

But if HE dies before I die I WILL LOOSE MY LUTHIER and this will cause my sudden death!

This makes me curious the relationship between Gibson and authorized service centers. What, if any responsibility to they have to support one another.

Obviously, if a service center is authorized, the guitar should still be under warranty if they work on it. Does that also include guaranteeing the work of the repair facility?

What about the requirements to act as a repair facility? Does Gibson require they guarantee their work?

It might be interesting to see what GIBSON has to say on the matter.

This makes me curious the relationship between Gibson and authorized service centers. What, if any responsibility to they have to support one another.

Obviously, if a service center is authorized, the guitar should still be under warranty if they work on it. Does that also include guaranteeing the work of the repair facility?

What about the requirements to act as a repair facility? Does Gibson require they guarantee their work?

It might be interesting to see what GIBSON has to say on the matter.

Well said - these are crucial questions.

He disavowed any knowledge of the source/cause of any of the damage. There were three other customers in his shop at the time and I decided not to make a major scene at that time in front of some of his other clients.

This is exactly when I would have made a big scene!!!

Sorry to hear about this, Buc!

Holy crap that sucks!!!

I have had AMAZING results from the guys in Bozeman and I'm sure if you can get your guitar to them they will take care of it.

I'm shocked all that could get ****** up from a Gibson authorized repair person you have known and trusted for years. Good luck!

Further inspection yeilds another clue.........

In this photo you can see thr grain of the red spruce near the edge of the fretboard as it should be. In the area that is gouged and scratched the grain has been flattened and is very smooth and glossy.......from heavy rubbing/polishing/buffing. Nowhere else on the top is the grain of the wood missing, just this one spot. It is so obvious that an attempt was made to remove the gouging.

topgouge.jpg

Anyway, that's the last I'll say on the subject as I'm sure y'all are tired of all this by now. Paperwork is in process to return the guitar to Bozeman for repair. I'll pay whatever the cost to have the work done.....I just want my instrument like it was. Big thanks to Jeremy for accepting the job!

Further inspection yeilds another clue.........

In this photo you can see thr grain of the red spruce near the edge of the fretboard as it should be. In the area that is gouged and scratched the grain has been flattened and is very smooth and glossy.......from heavy rubbing/polishing/buffing. Nowhere else on the top is the grain of the wood missing, just this one spot. It is so obvious that an attempt was made to remove the gouging.

topgouge.jpg

Anyway, that's the last I'll say on the subject as I'm sure y'all are tired of all this by now. Paperwork is in process to return the guitar to Bozeman for repair. I'll pay whatever the cost to have the work done.....I just want my instrument like it was. Big thanks to Jeremy for accepting the job!

So Buc, as you had no joy getting a solution with the Luthier who did this damage how aout at least warning others by giving up his name?

[confused]

Archived