Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TinyBabyBrandon

King Crimson

Guest farnsbarns

I banged my head on a door frame today, it really hurt and I didn't like it. This baffled me so I stayed there and banged it at least 30 more times. I still didn't like even after all that. Has anyone got any advice that might make me like banging my head. I mean, I really like bananas, but banging my head just hurts. I mean I just don't get why bananas are so cool yet banging my head is so rubbish. Anyway, if you're not a fan of banging your head don't even bother to reply.

Put it this way, if you want 4/4 time and verse/chorus songs, you will not like King Crimson (whether you are a hipster or not).

Since someone already posted Court of the Crimson King era stuff, I'll dive in a little later in their catalog...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WV5Iu0-ZBQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWT2dKw4fk&feature=related

They're a shitty, hipster, trend band, and like all other shitty, hipster, trend bands, they suck horribly. They'll be forgotten in a couple years when the next big trend sweeps the nation.

My vote for least thought out and lamest post of the week. And it's had a lot of competition this week [glare]

And to the Original Poster - which era of King Crimson are you interested in, they have been around since 69 and have had more changes of players then any band that I can think of ? originally it was mostly all english players now it Americans. It's a tough group to discuss or compare because of all the changes over the years but they have done some very interesting stuff. There's 17 albums or something of their work over the last 40+ years so if your interested listen to the different era's and you'll at least get a baseline for when you liked the group the best if your serious about discovering there large and diverse discography

My vote for least thought out and lamest post of the week. And it's had a lot of competition this week [glare]

You got that right.

The week ain't over yet.

...please convince me that they're even decent...

Why?

...or did some really cool stuff...

Why?

...this is a band I'd love to like...

Why?

...but for years of trying to get into them, it's just been a snore fest...

Why waste any more of your time then?

If you don't 'get' King Crimson don't listen to them.

If you don't like them don't come here whining about them. No offence, but It just makes you come across as being a bit of a Moaning Minnie.

What is the real reason you are so keen to like the band? Do you think it will somehow make you 'Cool'? Or 'Intellectual'? What is it about them that makes you so desperate to like them?

After they had recorded 'Close to the Edge' Bill Bruford didn't feel Yes could take their music much further / improve / explore other directions so it was time for him to move on.

Perhaps you should stop wasting your time in trying so very hard to like a band whose music you dislike so much and do the same?

There's lots of good music out there that you WILL like. I'd advise you to find that.

P.

I don't care for King Crimson, but will fight to the death anyone's desire to like them...or Taylor Swift...or Buckethead...or...

Weeeeellll, maybe no to the death, but I'd carry a very nice sign. :rolleyes:

tumblr_lcknnx498F1qf76m1o1_400.jpg

Weeeeellll, maybe no to the death, but I'd carry a very nice sign. :rolleyes:

tumblr_lcknnx498F1qf76m1o1_400.jpg

In all seriousness, that would be a great sign to have posted inside my classroom.

Do you still have an art department? [thumbup]

Yeah, but I teach 6th grade language arts. The one (and only) thing that the kids think is cool about me is that I play guitar. A surprising number of kids still listen and love good rock.

I banged my head on a door frame today, it really hurt and I didn't like it. This baffled me so I stayed there and banged it at least 30 more times. I still didn't like even after all that. Has anyone got any advice that might make me like banging my head. I mean, I really like bananas, but banging my head just hurts. I mean I just don't get why bananas are so cool yet banging my head is so rubbish. Anyway, if you're not a fan of banging your head don't even bother to reply.

[1] it's probably because you're using a transistorized door frame. If you got an all tube one the pains would feel a lot better, and you'd get head banging immediately

[2] however to get the real experience, you must have a door frame made before 1969, the newer ones just don't have the mojo. If you can't afford that, order a custom made 1959 spec doorframe. Although it looks identical and costs $4,999 instead of $59.99 the difference in quality is immeasurable.

[3] if you like bananas, you totally suck man. Bananas are the worst fruit ever invented. I challenge anyone to show me anything good that a banana has ever done. Not that I've pre-decided the issue . . .

[4] Banging you head against a door frame while straight and sober might seem painful, but it's meant to be experienced after ingesting an exotic Peruvian hallucinogenic made form cactus and bat guano, while standing with one foot in a bucket of Badger feces. If you try that something really magical happens after about 30 minutes of solid blows to the brain

They're a shitty, hipster, trend band, and like all other shitty, hipster, trend bands, they suck horribly. They'll be forgotten in a couple years when the next big trend sweeps the nation.

I agree, they've been around for 40 years [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

[1] it's probably because you're using a transistorized door frame. If you got an all tube one the pains would feel a lot better, and you'd get head banging immediately

[2] however to get the real experience, you must have a door frame made before 1969, the newer ones just don't have the mojo. If you can't afford that, order a custom made 1959 spec doorframe. Although it looks identical and costs $4,999 instead of $59.99 the difference in quality is immeasurable.

[3] if you like bananas, you totally suck man. Bananas are the worst fruit ever invented. I challenge anyone to show me anything good that a banana has ever done. Not that I've pre-decided the issue . . .

[4] Banging you head against a door frame while straight and sober might seem painful, but it's meant to be experienced after ingesting an exotic Peruvian hallucinogenic made form cactus and bat guano, while standing with one foot in a bucket of Badger feces. If you try that something really magical happens after about 30 minutes of solid blows to the brain

[thumbup]

funny-dog-pictures-well-then.jpg[thumbup]

King Crimson is a lot like Taylor Swift...only different. With all the other groups available it seems the intelligent thing to do is to listen to someone you enjoy. [thumbup]

130585737057.jpg

This.

It's not a requirement for you to like what people find good... I don't like Led Zep or The Who. Really. So I don't listen to them unless someone else is picking the music and he/she plays them, and I don't go all "hey change that ****" I just listen and enjoy it, I ain't buyin no LZ albums tho.

Ok, so no one can give me any good King Crimson songs/video advice to check out. I'd just like to know what the big deal is about them. I mean Bruford leaves Yes to join them, there's got to be SOMETHING to them, but I just can't find it. Man, everyone is a real negative nancy over here too. I should stick to the ES board...

As I said before, I like their songs, but they all sound the same to someone who isn't into them (like any other band... my wife swears I keep listening to the same Iron Maiden / Judas Priest song over and over and over) [biggrin]

If you don't like them you probably won't like them and that's it. If you want you can try to listen to some of them and try to understand how everything works in there, then even if you don't like them you can still talk about it.

For those of you who posted videos and songs, thanks. I'm going to tackle the ones I haven't seen/heard yet. I have the face album already, but the later stuff I have not really heard. I always assumed that the earlier incarnation was probably the best but I might be wrong there. To everyone that feels the need to constantly question my motives for posting here, get a freaking life. All I'm trying to do is get a little insight into why people are passionate about a certain band that happens to coexist in a musical genre I really love. Is that enough reason for you? And for the guy that said I WILL find other bands I like, no duh, hot shot. I obviously love a huge amount of music, and I have a rather encyclopedic knowledge of most rock based genres and bands, just the King Crimson stuff as always struck me as interesting. It's always weird when all things point to a band being really interesting/cool/incredible, but I just haven't heard it. I guess the whole point of the post was to figure out if I had actually listened to a lot of what fans of the band pinpoint as the best moments of their music. It seems though, looking at a lot of the videos posted, that I have. Maybe it's just that they're not a band for me. But if trying to connect with other people and expand your musical understanding and appreciation is "trolling" or "fishing" on a message board filled with musicians (or wannabe musicians) then guilty as charged.

Maybe it's just that they're not a band for me.

Bingo! We Have A Winner!

And, JFYI (and future reference), your reception here would, probably, have been far warmer and friendlier had you not, in your original post, used these phrases;

"sub par"

"real boring"

"nothing much happens"

"a singer that's pretty bad"

"what's the big screamin' deal"

"I've never heard/seen one thing he did that impressed me"

"it's mind boggling to me that Bruford would leave Yes...to join King Crimson"

"convince me that they're even decent"

"it's just been a snore fest"

Quite an achievement in a mere four lines of text.

As for this;

" I obviously love a huge amount of music, and I have a rather encyclopedic knowledge of most rock based genres and bands"

Yup. Obviously.

Well, Bully For You! and your vast, sorry, I meant to type your 'rather encyclopedic knowledge' of most rock based genres and bands.

Pippy is one of the most easy going guys in this forum. It says a lot if your a person that rubs him the wrong way.