Gibson Brands Forums

Harmonics lessons

Rabs

Harmonics are something i dont hear much about on the forum. Ive always dabbeled with them and love the sound they produce. So I thought id see if anyone else uses them and post these vids for people who havent tried it yet as I think its a good thing to know :)

heres a really basic lesson..

Heres one on an electric

Good post R....

Yes harmonics are very interesting

And their pinched variety, particularly with hi gain, can be very expressive...

V

:-({|=

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Yeah it gets harder when you add gain as you really have to control the rest of the strings or you get harmonics bouncing all over the place and it will sound very messy.. but is such a good technique to know and understand. It really helps you understand the relationships of the notes on the fretboard :)

and here is a squealy video ;)

I love pinch harmonics, the squeal sounds so cool. However, I'm having an issue with pinch harmonic on my Strat.

I recently change the gauge of strings from 9s to 12s looking for a more beefy tone. Playing a pinch harmonic is now null. I check the intonation and it was a bit off and I adjusted the saddles accordingly, still a no go. Out side of my talent, what else could I be overlooking?

I love pinch harmonics, the squeal sounds so cool. However, I'm having an issue with pinch harmonic on my Strat.

I recently change the gauge of strings from 9s to 12s looking for a more beefy tone. Playing a pinch harmonic is now null. I check the intonation and it was a bit off and I adjusted the saddles accordingly, still a no go. Out side of my talent, what else could I be overlooking?

Hmm, the only thing that comes to mind is you may have to raise the action a bit so you have more clearence between the fretboard an the strings.. but then you will have to re-intonatte too.. and im not 100% sure thats the issue.. Maybe just try another brand of strings first? I use 9s so have no experience on heavier strings.. anyone else know?

Hmm, the only thing that comes to mind is you may have to raise the action a bit so you have more clearence between the fretboard an the strings.. but then you will have to re-intonatte too.. and im not 100% sure thats the issue.. Maybe just try another brand of strings first? I use 9s so have no experience on heavier strings.. anyone else know?

Thanks Rabs, I raised the action too, still [thumbdn]

I've experienced this too. I use 0.11 on top and never heavier than 0.17 plain on the G. Pinch harmonics are harder and don't ring out the same as on a set of 9s or 10s. Perhaps the heavier you go, the more of the fundamental you get, could that be it?

First harmonic riff i learned was intro to Red Brachetta by Rush.As far as the heavier strings makin it harder,just an idea,drop the pick and try it using your finger/fingernail as your pick ?? IMO you have way more control when the pick is out of the equation.Just my .02 c

However, I'm having an issue with pinch harmonic on my Strat... I recently change the gauge of strings from 9s to 12s...

Hmmmm, I can get plenty o' squealies with 11's but I haven't changed gauge in a lot of years so I don't remember if there was a difference when I first changed. Maybe you just need a bit more thumb? You have to hit everything harder with higher gauge strings.

Well I can give a really advanced lesson on nonlinear string vibration theory if you want it (sorry, the geek in me just likes to come out).

I actually use my pinky for pinch harmonics. I think I'm the only one on the planet that does it that way? I'll need to post a video.

Well I can give a really advanced lesson on nonlinear string vibration theory if you want it (sorry, the geek in me just likes to come out).

I actually use my pinky for pinch harmonics. I think I'm the only one on the planet that does it that way? I'll need to post a video.

I think I know what you mean, and I use my middle finger for pinch harmonics. I kind of brush the top of my Nail against the string as I pick it. It's a different type of pinch, and it doesn't require choking up on the pick and seems to be more consistent for me. I could never get the thumb method to work consistently without Really focusing on it.

-Ryan

It can be difficult to get a good pinched harmonic on heavier gauge strings

IMO just a tautness and thickness issue...

Here's a wheeze for 'pinch people' to try...

Alternate pinch picking....use the thumb on the way down...and the index finger on the way back up

And then progress to pinch sweep picking :blink:

Sounds amazing because that is exactly what it is... <_<

V

:-({|=

First harmonic riff i learned was intro to Red Brachetta by Rush.

That was ONE of the first riffs for me, but I think "Round About" intro was my first.

Even though I didn't understand how he was doing it at the time, I loved the way EVH could combine left hand fretting with right hand tap harmonics...

I've experienced this too. I use 0.11 on top and never heavier than 0.17 plain on the G. Pinch harmonics are harder and don't ring out the same as on a set of 9s or 10s. Perhaps the heavier you go, the more of the fundamental you get, could that be it?

First harmonic riff i learned was intro to Red Brachetta by Rush.As far as the heavier strings makin it harder,just an idea,drop the pick and try it using your finger/fingernail as your pick ?? IMO you have way more control when the pick is out of the equation.Just my .02 c

Hmmmm, I can get plenty o' squealies with 11's but I haven't changed gauge in a lot of years so I don't remember if there was a difference when I first changed. Maybe you just need a bit more thumb? You have to hit everything harder with higher gauge strings.

Thanks gents for the advice. I've played with lighter strings for years. Playing the heavier gauge was so new to me that I got a blister on my ring finger. Looks like I need to work on pinch harmonics as you advise.

Archived