Gibson Brands Forums

Metallica will be remembered more than the Beatles

swleary

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farnsbarns

I think Westlife, Boy Zone, One Direction and the like are more comparable to the Beatles. I wonder if any of them will be remembered in the same way?

Not to take away anything from the talent of Metallica --- but --- The Beatles were an icon of a generation, like Elvis was before that, Sinatra before that, Crosby before that and Jolson before that. Everybody in the generation listened to these people. And the entire generation of youngsters knew ALL their pop hits by heart.

Every pop radio station played them. But there were very few pop stations. You had no choice. You either listened to Classical, EZ, "race", Country or Top40/Pop. The kids all listened to Top40/pop.

But the music industry fragmented after the Beatles. Along with the Beatles were other superstar groups like Zep and Pink Floyd. But after that, radio became fragmented. Now we have urban stations, alternative stations, soft rock stations, dance music stations, rap stations, and at least a dozen other formats competing for the same age group.

Metallica is not an icon of a generation - every child of the generation does not know any of their songs by heart.

Unless the music industry reverses itself, I don't think there will ever be anything like The Beatles or Elvis or Sinatra again.

This is like comparing apples to oranges. And no, Metallica will 'not' be remembered more than The Beatles! The audacity of that statement. I'll give you ball* for saying it though.

The Beatles are just a flash in the pan Fad band and will be completely forgotten as soon as the next flash in the pan Fad Band comes along....

... or whenever AXE® poops another kitten, whichever comes first.

/chuckle Metallica over the Beatles. Too funny..... I might go with "Metallica will overshadow all other bands of it's particular era in Rock history" [thumbup]

Im thinking Michael Jacksons legacy will be more on line w/ the beatles,he was an icon and will continue to be one years after his passing,much like the beatles.Metallica's just a band that plays heavy music.2 pennies.

Not to take away anything from the talent of Metallica --- but --- The Beatles were an icon of a generation, like Elvis was before that, Sinatra before that, Crosby before that and Jolson before that. Everybody in the generation listened to these people. And the entire generation of youngsters knew ALL their pop hits by heart.

Every pop radio station played them. But there were very few pop stations. You had no choice. You either listened to Classical, EZ, "race", Country or Top40/Pop. The kids all listened to Top40/pop.

But the music industry fragmented after the Beatles. Along with the Beatles were other superstar groups like Zep and Pink Floyd. But after that, radio became fragmented. Now we have urban stations, alternative stations, soft rock stations, dance music stations, rap stations, and at least a dozen other formats competing for the same age group.

Metallica is not an icon of a generation - every child of the generation does not know any of their songs by heart.

Unless the music industry reverses itself, I don't think there will ever be anything like The Beatles or Elvis or Sinatra again.

The Beatles also knew when to quit. Metallica, not so much.

I also love Metallica, seen them five times.. BUT theres a huge difference between the two bands..

The Beatles started off as a pop band and then turned into a rock band (continued to be creative and write some of the most classic songs ever written)

Metallica started as a rock band and have turned into a pop band :P (with really stupid music videos which they were quoted they would NEVER make when they started)(and have just become less creative)

As much as I love Metallica and they are still a great live band, since the Black album they have just gone so downhill (some would say since Justice)... im sorry but their studio releases have become almost characterisations of their previous albums.. And well, its understandable really since they were teenagers when they started and had all that angst and now they are middle aged men with kids.

Also I used to for many years, not get the Beatles and I never understood the facination with them until I heard Abbey Road, Revolver, The White Album and Let it Be.. I also find that people that generally havent heard the inbetween stuff (after the pop and before full hippy phases) cant really say they have listened to enough of the Beatles music to properly comment.

Seriously if youve never heard those albums check them out, you may be suprised. ;) (I mean the white album has while my guitar gently weeps.. common people :P)

You can't even compare the bigger bands of the Beatles era as having the staying power they did. They'll stiull be playing Beatles songs 50 years from now. I don't Mtallica would have the kahones to compare themselves to the Beatles.

Archived