Gibson Brands Forums

Metallica will be remembered more than the Beatles

swleary

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to the Muzak version of Fade to Black. It'll change the elevator experience for me. [thumbup]

Well, there is the Rockabye Baby album... We actually have this and a bunch of others:

Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, The Cure, AC/DC... good stuff

for rocking out in the nursery with the baby! [biggrin]

Well, there is the Rockabye Baby album... We actually have this and a bunch of others:

Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, The Cure, AC/DC... good stuff

for rocking out in the nursery with the baby! [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beMA3bIoo9I&feature=related

That's pretty cool, Surf. Way different than the James Taylor and Don Mclean kinda stuff we used. Good luck with that. [cool]

Actually, to me, anyway...The Beatles started, as a Rock & Roll band, in Hamburg,

doing covers of their favorite R&R idols, as well as writing their own material. Then...

they became a "Pop" band, albeit one of, if not THE best ever, and then, after they quit

touring, they redefined "Rock" music, and even the format (singles, vs "concept"Album)

though they said that "Sgt. Pepper" (often listed as a "concept album"), as a "concept,

didn't really go anywhere." But, I think, starting with Rubber Soul, the Album songs

became more important, as a whole, than what was most common, back then, being just a

collection, of "singles," and/or record company dictated "filler." But, even in the early

days, they were aware, of the power of "grouping" songs, in a particular order, which is

why they were upset, when Capitol released the USA versions, of the LP's, with the songs

in a different order. They started, so many things, that are now quite common, in R&R...

even the mixing, of different genre's, within an album, and even within a song.

As good as Metallica may be, or is...they're NOT The Beatles! And, I dare say, they'd never

make the comparison.

CB

I'm sorry SW but your opinion is deeply flawed,although you probably want to see Metallica remembered longer than the Beatles the sad truth is that they won't be.The Beatles were hailed by famed conductor/composer Leonard Bernstein as "modern day Mozarts" and their songs have been recorded by some of the most famous and respected people and acts in the entertainment business.They even have had their music transposed to be performed and recorded by some of the most gifted and famous musicians on all manner of instruments and has even been recorded by famed symphony orchestras such Arthur Feidler's Boston Pops Orchestra and the esteemed Royal Philharmonic Pops Orchestra.The Beatles also crossed the lines of many genres of music whereas Metallica limits themselves just to the vehicle of heavy metal music to get their message across.All the Beatles have had hugely successful solo recordings and most have gone not only gold but platinum.

The Beatles in the few short years they were together managed to garner accolades from most of the top musical giants worldwide and write a treasure trove of music that has endured for the 4 decades since they parted ways.There music still manages to top the sales figures of the record charts and they show no signs of waning after all these years.People are still doing covers of their songs and all their songs still remain as some of the main staples of the "oldies" radio stations.Every "new" release of their material goes platinum in pre-sale reservations before it's even officially put on sale for the general public.Any rumors of a pending release of their material still manages to make it to the front pages of newspapers.

As for Metallica,graanted they are all good musicians and have quite a large following but their muusic just appeals to a limited segment of the population whereas The Beatles crossed all age,race and social barriers as their music or at least some of it had something that pleased just about everyone.Metallica hasn't had their material recorded by hundreds of the world's top musicians nor have they been lauded to be in the same standing as someone who many experts regard as the greatest musician/composer who ever lived.I don't know if any of Metallica have recorded solo albums and the fact that I don't know means that if in fact they did they weren't met with the same enthusiasm and acclaim as Beatle's solo efforts.If one of the Beatles released a solo album it was a major news story through the media.

Now,after having said all that,I doubt very much that Metallica will ever be remembered on the same scale as the Beatles are because they didn't have the impact on the musical world that the Beatles did by starting a musical Renaissance that changed the course of rock and popular music for the better and Metallica really put their stamp on a single genre of music and only created a stir to the metal oriented sector of music fans.The Beatles have assured their longevity by the continuing popularity of their music and the ever increasing popularity of it with whole new generations of kids who are as amazed by it as the Baby Boomers of the 60s were when they first heard it.There is no way that Metallica will ever outlast that of The Beatles because if they were to they would already have universal adulation and as I stated several times they have only acheived a folowing-albeit huge- of the metal oriented segment of music lovers.

we need more people like swleary on here, people that ain't afraid to speak the truth...too many butt kissers on here, if you don't like something or someone then say so! don't just "follow the crowd"...respect to you swleary [thumbup]

Yes that is my opinion but I went on at length to explain and defend my opinion with facts that were not based on whether or not I like one more than the other or dislike one more than the other.I didn't invent these facts as they are all common knowledge and that is what I based my opinion on... there's no disputing facts no matter what your stance is on a subject or what side of the fence that you sit on.

I respect your opinion but I don't believe so....

what year and with whom did Metallica first appear on TV?.........and the Beatles?

I think Metallica will rank up there with Sabbath and Zeppelin but not the Beatles.

I respect his opinion as well, but in my opinion, The Beatles were kinda... Horrible... They didn't do as much for rock and roll as Jimi Hendrix imo, and I made a diagram of it for a friend with a similar opinion as Bonzy. I can't find it though, so I'll describe it. It started with a forest, and Elvis Presley, with an axe. Then the forest was gone, and The Beatles were there with shovels and concrete, as to make the foundation. Then Jimi Hendrix came along, with a bulldozer, fresh concrete, and building materials, dug up the foundation, and built the damn house, burnt it down many times, and rebuilt it again. In comparison with JH, The Beatles are flavorless, colorless, trash. But, that's just my opinion.

I respect his opinion as well, but in my opinion, The Beatles were kinda... Horrible... They didn't do as much for rock and roll as Jimi Hendrix imo, and I made a diagram of it for a friend with a similar opinion as Bonzy.

I agree, the Beatles is ******* pretentious hipster music. They'll be forgotten in a couple years.

Buxom I usually agree with much of what you say but you have way overstepped the boundries of what is onsidered to be proper language on a public forum,I am far from a prude myself because when suitably provoked I can spew out a barrage of multi-syllables pprofanities that would make a statue blush,but this is not the place for such base and vile language.It is an insult and displays contempt and total lack of regard for people who are sensitive to that kind of language.I suggest that you apologize to those you have offended that would at least allow you to save some face.After all this is a public forum not a pubic forum.

Awfully strong words,if you feel the need to use these words regarding music/bands,maybe you should take up needlepoint and sell your guitars,And obviously join an adult forum somewhere.Completely uncalled for.

I guess you're right. But I guess I'm right as well. We're all entitled to an opinion. It may not agree with your rules or values, but I'm certainly not removing it. I posted it, and I'm willing to take the shitstorm of hate, simply for disliking a band and a group of people.

And I'm sorry if my brash language hurt your feelings, but I speak the same way in person. I'll try to be somebody else on the internet.

I guess you're right. But I guess I'm right as well. We're all entitled to an opinion. It may not agree with your rules or values, but I'm certainly not removing it. I posted it, and I'm willing to take the shitstorm of hate, simply for disliking a band and a group of people.

And I'm sorry if my brash language hurt your feelings, but I speak the same way in person. I'll try to be somebody else on the internet.

Lol you could not hurt my feelings,i cuss way worst than you,i just have enough class not to use it in presence of kids,kinda like yourself.I dont want you to change or edit your words,just a shame people cant share opinions about music w/out talking.....well.....like you.

Notes Norton said it all. Agree, agree and agree. [thumbup]

And not to turn this into a Fredfest but I don't care about Metallica, I find their music boring and their guitar solos cheesy and out of place. And I don't care about the Beatles either (but I see what they did right and how they are one of the greatest things to have happened in popular music).

Your opinion is one thing. Coloring with unnecessary vulgarities is another.

I'd like to see you get a trip to the woodshed - for a week.

Duane . . . . . http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/85004-metallica-will-be-remembered-more-than-the-beatles/page__view__findpost__p__1166400

Back to the threads statement "Metallica will be remembered more than the Beatles"... I don't think so, but I'll ask anyway... By whom? By you and other Metallica fans? Probably.

By the majority of the population of the world? I doubt it.

And to make it clear, it doesn't say one band is better or sold more albums or banged more chicks. If Metallica loses it and burns everyone attending one of their shows they would be remembered. Nothing to do with music or anything else.

Everything that I have stated is one hundred percent true and a matter of common public knowledge if someone as esteemed and who has the knowledge of music that Leonard Bernstein has says that the Beatles are "modern day Mozarts"then who am I or anyone else to argue,unless we have a master's degree or Phd in musical composition and theory? Both Bernstein and many of his learned colleagues each possess a knowledge of music that most likely exceeds the combined knowledge of composition and theory of all forum members.To make a blanket statement that The Beatles music is garbage or boring or whatever negative connotations that you care to put on it isn't worth a tinker's damn unless you can come up with concrete evidence and facts to back it up.Just to put down a band because you don't happen to like them or even hate them is baseless and has absolutely nothing to do with their talent or composition abilities unless you have conclusive evidence to back up your assertions.Bernstein,Fidler et al are among the most revered and respected musical geniuses in the world and when either one of them says that a musician/songwriter is gifted or a "modern Day Mozart" you can pretty well take it to the bank rather than take the word of someone who is still in the learning process or struggling through barre chords.

I think Mork will be remembered more than Mindy.

Lavern more than shirley

and probably Curley more than Shemp

Ginger more than MaryAnn Batman more than Robin A kids rude remarks way more so than thier buzzsaw recordings. [flapper]

Whether you like to or not, the Beatles are the Mozart of the future.

[confused]

Not sure about that

I dig the Beatles but not everything they did was great.... As a matter of speaking, 40% of their stuff was crap IMO.

If Love Me Do or Please Please Me was released today, it would be the laughing stock of YouTube..... Those two songs would had never made it to the radio today.

[confused]

If Love Me Do or Please Please Me was released today, it would be the laughing stock of YouTube..... Those two songs would never make it to the radio today.

At the same time those are two of the songs they wrote to get into the US market...

Archived