Gibson Brands Forums

Metallica will be remembered more than the Beatles

swleary

The Beatles are just a flash in the pan Fad band and will be completely forgotten as soon as the next flash in the pan Fad Band comes along....

I agree. You cannot build your career doing dated sixties style covers of Aerosmith (Come Together) and Mötley Crüe (Helter Skelter). Who do they think they are? Tiffany?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[confused]

Not sure about that

I dig the Beatles but not everything they did was great.... As a matter of speaking, 40% of their stuff was crap IMO.

If Love Me Do or Please Please Me was released today, it would be the laughing stock of YouTube..... Those two songs would had never made it to the radio today.

Well, at least it was only 40% (if you really believe that), and not 90%, like today's "Pop!" [flapper]

But...We all have our "tastes." Personally, I think a lot more than 60% of The Beatles

stuff was Good/Great...but, that's just me. The Beatles, were of, and for their time, but what they

wrote, is "timeless," all the same...thank God, I was around, to experience it, first hand!

Personally, I think their music WILL last, well into the future!

I think Please, Please Me, and/or Love Me Do might well have made the radio, today. Probably in

a much more (over) produced form, with more instrumentation. They're no worse, than 90% of "Pop"

music/lyrics, played on the radio, ad nauseam, these days! But, again...that's just IMHO.

CB

To address the OP... I'm a fan of both, though I can't imagine Metallica having a greater following post-band than the Beatles do (heck I can't imagine anyone having such a massive following). Of course it's tinged with personal taste, as I'm more a Beatles man than a Metallica guy.

On another note, and I think we know what I'm addressing...

You're entitled to your opinion bud. Regardless of that fact, people in general (in real life, the internet, whatever) should never be expected to let that sort of language (or behavior in general) go. It is one thing to have a strong opinion, it is an entirely different (and self discrediting) one to spew that kind of language in this situation. Frankly I'm appalled. It isn't a matter of being somebody else on the internet, not even close. What it is a matter of is noting that a vast majority (and I only refrain from saying "nobody" because I'm always cautious with that word) of people, will never respect an opinion delivered in such a way. Heck, I might even call it self respect, if you're not doing your own opinions justice, if you spew forth profanity in a way that distracts from your post's point... well you're getting nowhere in that situation. I don't know you, not at all (I haven't been paying too much attention), so don't think I'm condemning you. I just think you need to think before you speak if you ever want to be taken seriously.

Also Duane, if this post is just adding crap to the storm feel free to delete it. I mean no harm, but I am a bit irked.

To address the OP... I'm a fan of both, though I can't imagine Metallica having a greater following post-band than the Beatles do (heck I can't imagine anyone having such a massive following). Of course it's tinged with personal taste, as I'm more a Beatles man than a Metallica guy.

On another note, and I think we know what I'm addressing...

You're entitled to your opinion bud. Regardless of that fact, people in general (in real life, the internet, whatever) should never be expected to let that sort of language (or behavior in general) go. It is one thing to have a strong opinion, it is an entirely different (and self discrediting) one to spew that kind of language in this situation. Frankly I'm appalled. It isn't a matter of being somebody else on the internet, not even close. What it is a matter of is noting that a vast majority (and I only refrain from saying "nobody" because I'm always cautious with that word) of people, will never respect an opinion delivered in such a way. Heck, I might even call it self respect, if you're not doing your own opinions justice, if you spew forth profanity in a way that distracts from your post's point... well you're getting nowhere in that situation. I don't know you, not at all (I haven't been paying too much attention), so don't think I'm condemning you. I just think you need to think before you speak if you ever want to be taken seriously.

Also Duane, if this post is just adding crap to the storm feel free to delete it. I mean no harm, but I am a bit irked.

I agree completely,theres just so many different bands/artists for someone to choose from to like.Instead of bashin what ya dont like,why not take the 'high road' and leave whoever likes 'that' band to thier own.<example Johnny Cash thread> I have nothing against him,my parents liked him.IMO someone condeming someone else likes/interests just shows a blatant disrespect.This very same subject was in another thread and 90% of the forum agreed musically,to each his own.Why try to debate over someones opinion? Instead,maybe realize

that its the different opinions that make it interesting to talk about.Conversing with people who share a common interest is great as long as all parties realize its just an opinion your sharing,not the holy grail of rock theory.

These are the worst type of threads. They solve nothing. We've seen em a hundred times.

You can't be serious if you think Metallica has anywhere near the influence in music that the Beatles have had.

It's not even about taste or opinion.

Metallica's not even top 10.

Lars sucks.

msp_flapper.gif

I rest my case

just shows ya how limited we were in terms of rock back then

What case?

They had to dumb down to get into the U.S. markets place.

Simpler times with simpler tunes.

If your gonna piss on the early stuff then your pissin' on their influences like Orbison, Smokey Robinson and Chuck Berry.

What case?

If your gonna piss on the early stuff then your pissin' on their influences like Orbison, Smokey Robinson and Chuck Berry.

15megd0.gif

I think the Beatles are genius level POP musicians and songwriters, every one of them. Huge talents.

But, I don't think they are anything like ROCK musicians, but rather, they can play it moderately well, or a version of it. They were the right PACKAGE at the right time. The early stuff, particularly the 'rock' covers of the Chuck Berry stuff, I find it really weak compared to the original versions. They went on and learned to write song great music with a lotta folk type melodies and such, but I would not think if we had to depend on the Beatles, that Rock would exist today as it does.

The STONES, THAT is a band that knows how to ROCK. There is the Rock and Roll we all know and love today.

I don't think Metallica plays anything as mean as what the 'old man' does when he comes out with a LP Junior with one P-90 and cranks out the shuffle of "Midnight Rambler".

The Beatles appeal to a much broader crowd then Metallica. You'll find far more Beatles fans that might like a little Metalica then Metallica fans that like the Beatles. I'm in a different category, a Beatle fan that can't stand Metalica.

Metallica isn't even remembered NOW as much as the Beatles are. I'm not taking anything away from Metallica but the statement was silly on its face.

While people are entitled to their opinions and should not be afraid to state them, just because you state them doesn't make them the truth. Still just an opinion. In this case it ain't one I agree with.

Was this an early April Fools joke?

What case?

I'm sorry but their early stuff was a complete bore. The Beatles didn't get good until Rubber Soul

Everything that I have stated is one hundred percent true and a matter of common public knowledge if someone as esteemed and who has the knowledge of music that Leonard Bernstein has says that the Beatles are "modern day Mozarts"then who am I or anyone else to argue,unless we have a master's degree or Phd in musical composition and theory? Both Bernstein and many of his learned colleagues each possess a knowledge of music that most likely exceeds the combined knowledge of composition and theory of all forum members.To make a blanket statement that The Beatles music is garbage or boring or whatever negative connotations that you care to put on it isn't worth a tinker's damn unless you can come up with concrete evidence and facts to back it up.Just to put down a band because you don't happen to like them or even hate them is baseless and has absolutely nothing to do with their talent or composition abilities unless you have conclusive evidence to back up your assertions.Bernstein,Fidler et al are among the most revered and respected musical geniuses in the world and when either one of them says that a musician/songwriter is gifted or a "modern Day Mozart" you can pretty well take it to the bank rather than take the word of someone who is still in the learning process or struggling through barre chords.

Yadah yadah yadah... They can say whatever they want. It's like saying only Gordon Ramsay can say what food tastes good. It's all about what you like, not what someone else says (and believe me, I studied music too, I teach for a livig and am really open to every style, even play some styles most people here wouldn't touch with a stick).

Madona will be remembered way more than Metallica.

And that is a shame, because I'll take Metallica over Madonna and shakeera (or whatever her name is) any day of the week.

Whether who or what is remembered more, Metallica will never be forgotten..... Any group that can sell 52 million albums will be remembered.

Also keep in mind Metallica broke into the rock mainstream, with non-mainstream metal. Imagine if the Beatles would had tried to break into the mainstream with Helter Skelter [scared] (great song BTW)..... I dont think that would had went over so well in 1963 [biggrin]

Archived