Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Markini

Gibson CSM made in Bozeman not Canada

I picked up a Gibson Concert Song Maker, I like the guitar. Got it very cheap with Gibson hard case. My question.

The inside label shows "Made in Canada". But when I run the serial number on the Gibson site, it states my

guitar was manufactured in Bozeman, Montana Aug 30th, 2008 lot number 290. Anybody else run into this situation?

Where did you run the serial?

There was a similar question that came up on the semi/hollow sub-forum recently.

Unless it's been switched or faked, the label should have the correct info on it.

That's curious. .Yeah, the Guitar Dater site is just a decoder, it doesn't use Gibson data base which they keep private.

AFAIK Gibson bought the Garrison Guitar company in Newfoundland in 2007 and used the facilities to manufacture the Songmaker with the Gibson "Made in Canada" label. Eventually Gibson sold the "Garrison" factory to another Canadian company.

I'm interested to see what you find out.

I picked up a Gibson Concert Song Maker, I like the guitar. Got it very cheap with Gibson hard case. My question.

The inside label shows "Made in Canada". But when I run the serial number on the Gibson site, it states my

guitar was manufactured in Bozeman, Montana Aug 30th, 2008 lot number 290. Anybody else run into this situation?

Can you show us some pictures ???

Gruhn's have a Gibson CSR for sale, and their listing states that it was made in Canada. For only $1000 I'm trying to decide if I need it or not. It states that it's Rosewood back and sides, so it may be something interesting. To me anyway.

Serial # 024280290

That's not a Bozeman serial number -- one too many digits. (The website's serial number parser appears to be slightly broken.) Plus, there's never been a day when there was a 290th guitar stamped. Are you sure that the initial `0' isn't a `C'? Unfortunately, the low E-string obscures the crucial part of the label in the photo you posted. Anyway, it's definitely not a Bozeman-built guitar.

-- Bob R

Serial # 024280290, Its my understanding the Canadian Gibsons have a serial number starting with "C". Anyway I am still researching.

Got he info from the site below

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

that website is useless and has been discussed. it really should be taken down. it just decodes numbers, then tries to tell you what it "should" be. too many people check numbers on fakes there and get burned too. it doesn't compare to any records. just garbage. i wish it didn't exist. it causes more problems than it solves!

I am a tone guy. And this particular guitar has excellent tone, low action and easy playability. IMO its a like a Taylor guitar with a Gibson tone. (looks like a Taylor too, check out the PG)

My Birds of course are "better" guitars, but this CSM really compliments the Birds when played together, it has a bit more treble. The Birds

are deep voiced.

It is a very light guitar and is more of a picker than a strummer, but when strummed she sounds pretty good, no jangely sound or harsh tones.

I also considered this: Gibson sold off Garrison (essentially made by them under Gibson ownership). The model has been discontinued. There

are no more Gibsons being made in Canada, which I think is the only country ever to use the Gibson name, besides USA. It might or might not have

collectability down the road.

Right now she sits in the living room and is a pass around guitar. Not a great guitar but a good guitar, I would jam with this guitar or perform without

a second thought.

Yup...Made in Canada. Well.... Gibson/ Montana made most of the parts and shipped them to Canada for assembly. The tops were all made and braced in Montana as well as the necks. Montana had the equipment and the trained staff. Remember the Garrison factory made the leggo snap together guitars and they were not very adept at making the transition. The Gibson/Montana GM was also in charge of the Canadian operation and he saw it easier to just make the parts in Montana than retrain and retool a whole new plant.

The Canadian Gibsons are fine guitars. It's a pity that they couldn't get things together up there. They had a terrible time with staffing the plant and it was one of Henry's real mistakes. There were some real cultural and political issues that didn't come to the surface until the sale was made. Oops.

Enjoy your Canadians. They are just fine. As to the website? Total mess. It's better to have no info that bad info.

Yup...Made in Canada. Well.... Gibson/ Montana made most of the parts and shipped them to Canada for assembly. The tops were all made and braced in Montana as well as the necks. Montana had the equipment and the trained staff. Remember the Garrison factory made the leggo snap together guitars and they were not very adept at making the transition. The Gibson/Montana GM was also in charge of the Canadian operation and he saw it easier to just make the parts in Montana than retrain and retool a whole new plant.

The Canadian Gibsons are fine guitars. It's a pity that they couldn't get things together up there. They had a terrible time with staffing the plant and it was one of Henry's real mistakes. There were some real cultural and political issues that didn't come to the surface until the sale was made. Oops.

Enjoy your Canadians. They are just fine. As to the website? Total mess. It's better to have no info that bad info.

Those Garrison Guitars are Garbage. Plastic Braces,, uckkk,,. as for why they couldnt get it together.. its because they werent built out west.. [flapper]

Those Garrison Guitars are Garbage. Plastic Braces,, uckkk,,. as for why they couldnt get it together.. its because they werent built out west.. [flapper]

Well I didn't buy a Garrison. I bought a Gibson, sitka top, mahogany back, sides, neck. Mother of pearl fret marker dots, not plastic.Real "Ebony" fretboard.. Ebony bridge,

All wood bracing, this guitar really vibrates agianst your chest when you strum her. I own two fine hummingbirds, this guitar is not in the same class but sounds very sweet accompanying either Bird. She has excellent intonation. Sounds fine by herself too. You can hear that Gibson sweet growl, a little subdued compared to a Bird, never the less a very giggable guitar.

Looks like Taylor, built similiar a Taylor, but sounds like a Gibson..

It was GAS for one of these that initially got me into wanting a Gibson acoustic and eventually led me to my SJ. They were sadly unavailable in the UK and Europe by the time I cottoned onto their existence. When available they were retailing for 499 pounds including a hard case. Whatever the make, for an all solid wood guitar made in Canada that was a bargain. Cheaper than all-solid Seagulls even. But there were next to no sound clips of them, and none to try out in person, so it would have been a price-driven purchase more than a tone-driven one for me. I'm glad yours sounds good. I'm also glad that the GAS for a CSM led me on to more research and the discovery of the Gibson slopeshoulder tone. Still if I could get one for 499 quid in pristine condition, I'd still be sorely tempted, as that way I really could contemplate playing a Gibson in a park in Paris.

I've never played a Garrison, but they advertised that the integral bracing system was made of some type of glass.

I played a few Garrisons, they had a HUGE sound. (Likely something to do with the fibreglass bracing inside). However I never really played one that had been properly set up - used ones, with high action and dead strings. They're going next to nothing on the used market now. Worth checking out.

Gruhn's have a Gibson CSR for sale, and their listing states that it was made in Canada. For only $1000 I'm trying to decide if I need it or not. It states that it's Rosewood back and sides, so it may be something interesting. To me anyway.

If I recall these guitars sold for just under $1400 when new. I have no idea though of whether they were built or assembled in the Garrison Guitar factory.