Gibson Brands Forums

Telling if you have a real les paul

spank

If you put the number that is on les Paul neck in Gibson website and it says when and where it was made does that prove it is real ?

No, many fakes have the correct Gibson serial numbers on them for the model they're copying.

No, many fakes have the correct Gibson serial numbers on them for the model they're copying.

Good point. Butt is it possible to that someone could put a les Paul neck on epiphone body. If for some reason body was cracked or damaged ?

Good point. Butt is it possible to that someone could put a les Paul neck on epiphone body. If for some reason body was cracked or damaged ?

It is possible, but the amount of work involved to do it and do a clean professional factory looking job would probably run your costs (material and labor) into real Gibson Les Paul territory so I seriously doubt it.

If you're real stressed get the serial number, and put it on hold.

Email service@gibson.com with the serial and description and if it's not too old, they should be able to confirm the model, finish and hardware - response time is usually a day or less.

And/or you can post pics here - the members can tell you if it's genuine or not.

Good luck with your hunt.

While even some dealers have been hoodwinked on guitars they have taken in on trade or consignment, buying used through a dealer is a good way to go if you are still unsure. Recourse through a dealer for a fake is easier than a private seller if it turns out you got a well made copy.

Sorry to cut into your thread spank, but I did have a real quandary concerning a Les Paul Standard for sale on bay. It is shown as you can see in a honey burst, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Hand-Gibson-Les-Paul-Guitar-/220992724092?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3374315c7c and upon checking the serial number with Gibson Europe and in their words the following:

The serial number should be for a guitar LP Standard in Wine Red finish, gold hardware, made in 1998 in Nashville US.

It turns out the seller describes the guitar as a certain serial number but one of the digits looks very much like another, so upon checking, it came out a completely different guitar, how about that ....

post-32365-082955200 1333618796_thumb.jpg

Sorry to cut into your thread spank, but I did have a real quandary concerning a Les Paul Standard for sale on bay. It is shown as you can see in a honey burst, http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3374315c7c and upon checking the serial number with Gibson Europe and in their words the following:

The serial number should be for a guitar LP Standard in Wine Red finish, gold hardware, made in 1998 in Nashville US.

It turns out the seller describes the guitar as a certain serial number but one of the digits looks very much like another, so upon checking, it came out a completely different guitar, how about that ....

Did Gibson Europe get it wrong, then? Or did the seller?

I can't see the description of the guitar in the attached thumb-nail.

P.

Yes, what the seller thinks is an 8 in the middle is a 9 - 91629509 - making it a 1999

From what I can see in the pics, it looks like a beautiful genuine Gibson LP with a very nicely grained plain top and a subtle honey burst.

Honey of a LP. . B)

Are you going to buy it?

Yes, what the seller thinks is an 8 in the middle is a 9 - 91629509 - making it a 1999

From what I can see in the pics, it looks like a beautiful genuine Gibson LP with a very nicely grained plain top and a subtle honey burst.

Honey of a LP. . B)

Are you going to buy it?

possibly, does look nice doesn't it. what do u think about the condition?

possibly, does look nice doesn't it. what do u think about the condition?

The condition looks good, although it concerns me that there are no photos of the back and sides. If I was you, I'd ask to see some of those first. If the back's as good as the front, then I'd say go for it if you want it.

The condition looks good, although it concerns me that there are no photos of the back and sides. If I was you, I'd ask to see some of those first. If the back's as good as the front, then I'd say go for it if you want it.

+1

It looks well taken care of, but SPB makes a good point.

Archived