Gibson Brands Forums

The disaster gig....

ParlourMan

It's odd that all my best performances, people say they couldn't hear. HMMM. weird. anyway.....

Gotta have memories and war stories. There IS comedy here.

For example; was this a bar? WHY would a bar have a SOUND GUY?

'Check..wuntoo, wuntoo...check...check...GOOD!. Please step AWAY from the mixer!'

i've never heard of a bar providing a soundman , crap or otherwise . sounds like an ordeal sure nuff you went through.

i hope other than that, the drinks were at the correct temperature , they cut the crusts off your half time sandwiches and they separated the brown m&m's out ?

:-P

i've never heard of a bar providing a soundman , crap or otherwise . sounds like an ordeal sure nuff you went through.

i hope other than that, the drinks were at the correct temperature , they cut the crusts off your half time sandwiches and they separated the brown m&m's out ?

:-P

We never expected one, nor asked for one... we asked do you have a house PA, or do we need to bring one.... "No, we will provide the PA" followed by another email saying "Just to let you know the sound system is sorted for Saturday night. See you then." so the 'soundman' was a surprise addition. I would have been more than happy to assemble/disassemble the PA myself, get us some levels and go ahead.... the sour point was the 'soundman' was quite pushy about things and the setting up the PA behind the band. I've never seen such a thing and I did say this is going to be a problem, it's not normal to setup the PA behind the band, we'll have feedback issues. Feedback issues would have been the least of our troubles with this setup.... his response was "I've done this many times already and it works fine" - the real hairpulling moment was asking him to roll off the treble on the singers guitar and I watched him roll back the bass on that channel to zero. Clearly he was clueless about using a mixer.

As for sandwiches, I like the crusts and I would be horrified at a bag of M&M's with no brown ones in. ;)

We can laugh about it now, it was just fairly embarrassing as we brought down quite a crowd... they certainly weren't complaining about the bar take at the end of the night. We'll no doubt go back there, but I'll have no trust in any provided systems so we'll take care of that end ourselves.

as the man said 'it's alright laughing , but its no joke'

i was being flippant with ya , but i did feel your pain

i'd love a soundman, having a bit of trouble with the guy i play with , me , a girl who sings a few songs , and the guitarist , who works the little mixing desk.

i think it was BK who pointed out that its only AFTER a gig that people pount out sound issues , being polite i know , but after a few gigs with a strange sensation of something not being right , more and more people have said 'its hard to hear you two over him' (i'm sure some people are saying this is great because that lead guitar drowns him

out :D )

i am not an expert on sound, far from it and he's highly experienced . so he has the little board beside him.seems like he's abusing it and taking a bit too much spotlight . its really disappointing me because i'm fond of him and owe a lot to him for getting me 'out there'

rant over :-)

geez !! and people think we do this because we enjoy it !!!

as the man said 'it's alright laughing , but its no joke'

i was being flippant with ya , but i did feel your pain

Yeah, I know... I can see the funny side now, especially after my wife pointed out some of my choice phrases during it could actually be heard by the crowd. Apparently some of my thoughts 'lacked any subtlety' ;)

geez !! and people think we do this because we enjoy it !!!

Yeah, you're left with that feeling sometimes, eh?

Good luck taming your guy... sounds like he's being a touch greedy, eh? Try setting up a PA speaker behind him ;)

I have had something similar happen to me years ago

I used to do freelance live sound engineering

So turned up at a gig to do my job, to find a totally indequate PA which did not meet the bands specifications in their contract.

So had to make the best of what was available. Not a good night, totally under powered PA for the job, ended up using a lot more volume from the stage than I would normally do and using the PA for vocals only, but we got through.

I know you have put the thread to bed, PM, but I have to ask:

"Is this what you were wearing for the gig?" You may have made the soundman a bit nervalous....

av-30070.jpg

BluesKing777.

I wish I had done, BK! ;) ;) It IS quite 'Dexter' isn't it?

Archived