Gibson Brands Forums

Country Music Awards

J.R.M.30!

Anbody catch the Country Music Awards last night. I saw three-fourths of it. Can't say that I enjoyed it and they find the strangest people to appear, like LL Cool J, Kiss, Lionel Ritchie (although not so much). I appreciate that a good country song has good words and tells a story but the music itself could have been better in my opinion. What do you think?

You mean, the "Pretty People with Drawl & Twang" Awards?! Nope...didn't watch 'em, never do.

Who wants to watch a bunch of self-congratulatory, pretty people pat each other, and

themselves, on the back?! "Awards shows"...now That's a waste of time, and money! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

The guests probably don't make sense to folks who don't follow country music.

Check out Lionel Richies new album "Tuskegee".

Folks in the music and entertainment biz have awards shows because they don't have annual or bi-annual reviews. Most jobs come with some measuring stick for performance, and that is the purpose of the awards shows.

Again.... if we aren't fans of such things, it is stupid to watch them then complain about what a waste of time it was. Just like listening to music we don't like and then *****ing beause we don't like it.

Takes all kinds, I guess. :rolleyes:

I watched.

I don't do Country music at all. Reason I DID watch is because a year or two ago I watched one and I was kinda impressed with the quality of the performances. I had no idea who the performers were, but at least I could see WHY they would be popular.

Also, in contrast, (aside from last years Grammies, which I didn't see much of) when I watched the Grammys, I had no clue what was going on. I couldn't even tell what were songs or not.

Anyway, said all that to say that I also found it lacking. The performances were good, as in OK or so-so. I couldn't understand why they were having presenters from clearly different genre's involved. I got the impression they were 'trading favors'.

I have a theory: perhaps they were (are) making an attempt to 'cross over' into the mainstream? Maybe, the reason the performances sounded so..(weak?)..has to do with how the sound was mixed? Perhaps mixed to sound more generic?

I rarely watch awards shows anymore. Same stuff, over and over.......I can't stand most of what is now called "country music" and the current stars. Too many guys screaming their lungs out as they attempt to hit notes they will never hit. Too many guys wearing black and seeming to think that makes them cool. Lots of anger with the guys, and the country gals are sure pretty and sure show alot of skin, but that's not what country music is supposed to revolve around. It would surprise me, but maybe Taylor Swift will point country in a more positive direction. If she does some sweet country tunes, just her and a guitar, sitting on a porch swing, it might set a good example.

I watched part of it. I was surprised by how many of the artists sounded pitchy. I know my ex used to always say, if all the artists sound pitchy, suspect the monitors are at fault. Anyway, I always find awards shows a bit like sitting on an old couch...... sometimes you find a spot that's comfy but every now and then you get a spring jabbing your behind. The wedding ceremony was weird, IMHO, but I really like Miranda Lambert so her performances were worth the springs. Check out Oklahoma Sky by Miranda Lambert..... one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKTUZ-ig57M

I'm watching the show right now, fast forwarding through the bits I don't like and the commercials.

So far, the show is pretty good Zac Brown with Brad Paisely was amazing as was Brad on his own.

Toby Keith was fun and Jason Aldean is always great.

I love country. There is a lot of guitar in country in ways it used to be in rock.

There is so much great music out there, so much great country. I'm glad that I discovered the genre and dove in. It's good stuff...

And then there is bluegrass!

Gotta love Keith Urban. Love that new song "For You", been waiting to see a live performance. He Was a little off, his voice was cracking a little too much and he overshot some notes, and the solo was a little sloppy. Plus his tone was a Bit thin; I always prefer the songs he uses his Goldtop or LP Jr on. The Tele just sounds a little too thin for that track.

-Ryan

I watched part of it. I was surprised by how many of the artists sounded pitchy. I know my ex used to always say, if all the artists sound pitchy, suspect the monitors are at fault.

I was thinking the same thing...sort of....not so much just 'pitchy' (surprised you caught that) but that the performers seems to be 'disconnected' somehow. More like they were working to get through the tunes properly.

At the same time, I noticed that the sound coming through the TV was heavy on the vocal, and could hardly hear the band. I even wondered if they were doing real singing with backing tracks. Noticed Mr. paisley's guitar was real loud too.

Seems to be lots of sound guy issues lately...or maybe I am spending too much time on the net. Turning into one of those lemmie things (whatever that's called)

There is a lot of guitar in country in ways it used to be in rock.

There is so much great music out there, so much great country. I'm glad that I discovered the genre and dove in. It's good stuff...

And then there is bluegrass!

I been noticing the same thing lately, past few years. A lot of songs sound like if you took away the vocal, it would sound like a straight up rock tune.

I am in a lot of ways down on the whole country/Nashville deal, mostly because in the past it is more 'Hollywood' than Hollywood. In that, find a 'Star', hook them up with a backing band, a songwriter (or two or more) and "produce" your next "country phenomenon".

But, on the other hand, those Nashville players can actually PLAY.

Now, I don't ACTULLY know who is who and who is doing what, so I can't say my 'impressions' are accurate. But whatever the case is, whatever they are calling "country" these days seems to be being played by people who actually know how to play well, and there is more guitar.

New theory: maybe the "Rock" musicians couldn't get a gig, and all went to play country under anonymous names?

I been noticing the same thing lately, past few years. A lot of songs sound like if you took away the vocal, it would sound like a straight up rock tune.

I am in a lot of ways down on the whole country/Nashville deal, mostly because in the past it is more 'Hollywood' than Hollywood. In that, find a 'Star', hook them up with a backing band, a songwriter (or two or more) and "produce" your next "country phenomenon".

But, on the other hand, those Nashville players can actually PLAY.

Now, I don't ACTULLY know who is who and who is doing what, so I can't say my 'impressions' are accurate. But whatever the case is, whatever they are calling "country" these days seems to be being played by people who actually know how to play well, and there is more guitar.

New theory: maybe the "Rock" musicians couldn't get a gig, and all went to play country under anonymous names?

Funny you should say that, my girlfriend and I have this joke that all of the heavy metal guitarists are now playing country! Every band we have seen live so far, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, and Rodney Atkins, has had a guitarist ripping it up on a Kramer or LP! Luke Bryan did Enter Sandman perfectly!

What's nice is that there are so many different genres of country right now and there are these pop-singers that sound nothing like country to my ear, so I leave them to someone else to enjoy. I'm more into Aldean and Paisley; the guys who are taking the roots of country in new directions.

Check out some Brad Paisley. Even on a pop ballad, like "Remind Me" his Telecaster tone is amazing and his phrasing is top-notch. It's great to hear interesting guitar again.

Guest rogerb

Anbody catch the Country Music Awards last night. I saw three-fourths of it. Can't say that I enjoyed it and they find the strangest people to appear, like LL Cool J, Kiss, Lionel Ritchie (although not so much). I appreciate that a good country song has good words and tells a story but the music itself could have been better in my opinion. What do you think?

Kiss has always been one of my favorite country bands. [blink]

Archived