Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson 5 Star Dealer L-1 reissue

double0blues

A beautiful guitar! This about a guitar made in the 1920s, though, is funny: "An uncommon reissue of a very popular 1930′s guitar made famous by Robert Johnson, pictured below."

I've an original, a year older than RJ's, which is fantastic:

2222775210033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

A beautiful guitar! This about a guitar made in the 1920s, though, is funny: "An uncommon reissue of a very popular 1930′s guitar made famous by Robert Johnson, pictured below."

I've an original, a year older than RJ's, which is fantastic:

2222775210033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice L1... [love]

as for the New ones... Ive owned quite a few.. from the Not for resales to the RJ L1.. . Not my thing.. 5 star or no star.. its just another L1.

Nice to see Robert bought one of the Road Worn pre-scratched Gibson models in the 30's!

He didn't have to worry about the 'first scratch' then!

BluesKing777.

And then there is a question: Did RJ actually play an L-1? That would have been an expensive instrument at the time. The evidence is the above picture. Some say that could have been a photo studio prop. The only other known picture (the one with the cigarette in his mouth) shows a 14 fret. Those who knew him say he played the cheaper Harmony or Kalamazoo.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeegeKRquX4&feature=colike

And then there is a question: Did RJ actually play an L-1? That would have been an expensive instrument at the time. The evidence is the above picture. Some say that could have been a photo studio prop. The only other known picture (the one with the cigarette in his mouth) shows a 14 fret. Those who knew him say he played the cheaper Harmony or Kalamazoo.

His Travelling buddy Robert Shines ( I think) claimed he played a Kalamazoo archtop and NOT the L-1....but I think RJ could make ANY guitar sound good...

http://www.vintagevibesf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Kalamazoo.jpg

...the one thing I like better with the L-1's archtops vrs. the L-1 flat tops is you get more "shimmer" out of the trebles on the archtops.....more of a resonator sound, especially if you 'vibrato' the strings. Also has a plunky percussive type sound that I just love.

Yes, I believe that RJ actually did play the guitar in the photo, which is a 1920s L-1 (not 1930s as the reissue is stated as being). I am sure he could afford a $50.00 guitar and highly unlikely that a photo studio would have such a guitar laying around as a prop. The guitar in the photo booth picture was probably a Kalamazoo KG-14, which dates from the 1930s. Which guitar did he play in his famous recordings. That's anyone's guess, since they were recorded in 1936 or 37.

Yes, I believe that RJ actually did play the guitar in the photo, which is a 1920s L-1 (not 1930s as the reissue is stated as being). I am sure he could afford a $50.00 guitar and highly unlikely that a photo studio would have such a guitar laying around as a prop. The guitar in the photo booth picture was probably a Kalamazoo KG-14, which dates from the 1930s. Which guitar did he play in his famous recordings. That's anyone's guess, since they were recorded in 1936 or 37.

I'm with Paul! For different reasons...

I have read a lot of the guff over the years, but still my question would be: 'Why would they give him an old busted Gibson that appears to have been lying in a barn or even outside the barn?" The photo to me looks like he has possession physically and mentally of that Gibson! It would be really interesting to hear from people who were there, like Johhny Shines, but I can't believe that guitar would have been looked at as anything but an Old Guitar.... It looks like HIS GUITAR. The valuable vintage guitar thing did not start until the late 60's, early 70's. Somebody would have thrown it out in the trash. If they wanted a photo shoot guitar, they would have given him the shiniest one they could find, even if it was a lousy guitar. No, I think someone with his musical abilities and ears would have come across that OLD Guitar that nobody wanted because it was not shiny anymore, and instantly would have recognised the musical potential. There were some stories that Robert was very good with setting guitars up.....

BluesKing777.

Archived