Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson custom Les Paul

Gazinya

Does anybody have a new Custom Paul?? I want to buy a custom but am having difficulty with the richlite. I do not want to buy a used one.. Just because.. Id rather beat it up myself.. I cannot just go play one for my local shop and other surrounding shops do not have any..

I need a decision breaker. Who has played one? Who owns one? How do you like the new fretboard? Comparable to ebony? Better? Worse? Same?

I've always wanted a custom Les Paul silverburst. I have the cash right now and am ready to pull the trigger...

Thanks...

Yes sir.. I hear ya. I put the order in on the custom. It should be mine in August or so. I do not want the maple board ones at all. I have enough strats and teles with maple. The rosewoods seem decent but I have a couple of standards with rosewood. I am going to try the rich lite. It has to be good.. I am very hopefull.

I will let everybody know my thoughts.

Thank you for responding.

Sweetwater has the classic Custom for $1899.00 but if you bargain a little they will sell you one for $1550.00. I bought the wine red one and they come with a life time warranty.

Good luck

I hear ya. I've toyed with the thought of a custom classic. However, I will always want for the silverburst custom les Paul. So I figure instead of blowing more money on something I do not really want... I had better get what I've always wanted.. But those classic customs are appealing. Just sayin...

• 3 months later...

I purchased a Midtown custom in January which has the Richlite fretboard. I absolutely love the guitar and the Richlite fretboard. Between me and my two sons (18 and 21 years old), we have several guitars in the house (Gibson's, Fenders, ESP's, Ibanez, Jacksons and Washburns) with all possible fretboard materials. The Midtown Custom is the favorite of all three of us. Previously, we all would have prefered an ebony board but the richlite is just as smooth and seems just as resonant as ebony. My advice is don't let the richlite stop you - it's awesome!

p.s. I was planning on buying a LP classic custom and my son stumbled on the Midtown Custom while I was picking one out. Both are really nice and I believe a real bargain when you can use a 15% off discount, which runs often at MF and GC...

• 1 month later...

Yep: from March 2012 onwards, the Les Paul Customs started to ship with Richlite.

Kind regards,

Stijn

So, most all the mid 2000 (05, 06, 07, 08) Custom Shop models should be ebony, correct? When people try to sell their LPs on ebay/Craigslist, they sometimes do a copy/paste from Gibson's specs for the current models which reflect Richlite. This can be a disadvantage to the seller.

Hey Folks, I'm about ready to buy a LPC and really need to figure out how to tell what fingerboard the 2007 Custom Shop models have.

Here is a posting

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-White-with-hardshell-case-U52913-/360485204888?pt=Guitar&hash=item53ee97b398

On this guitar the seller first says it has a Rosewood fingerboard, then a few lines down in the specs says Richlite. I'm buying a 2007 very similar to this exhibit (same year, same color, LPC). Am I confused, or is the seller? Is there a difference between a fingerboard and a fretboard?

-thanks

• 4 months later...

I've been following the richlite pro's and con's and still haven't made an opinion yet but if the LP Classic Customs are retailing for $2500 in Australia and the LP Customs with Richlite boards are still retailing for $4500+ how can a richlite board justify a $2000 variance for a fretboard??? Anyone shed any light on this?

Archived