Gibson Brands Forums

Getting a new old school pc

FenderGuy1

i hoard old mactops. i have the first PowerBook...

5598623413_8a72436708.jpg

...which is only good for a glowing green night light or something like that.

...and the first iBook, which is wi-fi (first wireless laptop?) and going on 12 years vintage...

7055587529_1afbce9523.jpg

...it still works well and does facebook!

The only difference between sneakerpimp and Fenderguy1 is that sneakerpimp paid retail. [crying]

Tell me Fender Guy, have you ever thought of taking apart all of these old and useless devices you have and making something better or something completely different out of it?

"Useless" implies they don't work.... his works. Demoon, you're beginning to sound like an Apple marketing guru. I ain't buyin' it. [sneaky]

You think kids these days do anything else?

I'm only 24 myself, so I was his age 10 years or so ago. When I was his age, I was part of the air training corps (air cadets) was messing about with drums (very badly) and aside from hanging out with my friends, who did not drink or do drugs or cause trouble for anyone else, I concentrated on my school work.

My point still stands, there are far many hobbies fenderguy could do than picking up old computers and tvs. I don't mind as long as he knows what he's doing, but I fear that he doesn't. Like I said, a guy I went to school with lost his arm in a severe electrical accident. A terrible accident for anyone to have, let alone a budding guitarist.

I'm only 24 myself, so I was his age 10 years or so ago. When I was his age, I was part of the air training corps (air cadets) was messing about with drums (very badly) and aside from hanging out with my friends, who did not drink or do drugs or cause trouble for anyone else, I concentrated on my school work.

My point still stands, there are far many hobbies fenderguy could do than picking up old computers and tvs. I don't mind as long as he knows what he's doing, but I fear that he doesn't. Like I said, a guy I went to school with lost his arm in a severe electrical accident. A terrible accident for anyone to have, let alone a budding guitarist.

You know this... because...?

You know this... because...?

I said "I fear". I didn't say "he doesn't know what he's doing". There's a difference.

Fear: An unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.

He's 13, I knew a kid who lost his arm when he was 14. Hence my concern.

a 1990s? something Dell or some other brand PC, with my CRT monitor being used, and i will hook it to internetz :)

You should definitely put some form of *nix on it. I have a couple old, and by old I mean old, IBM 486 notebooks I use for music storage that are running linux.

Getting the hardware to work with linux wouldn't be near as difficult to do, than dealing with Win98/95's lack of willingness to use fairly modern drivers/hardware.

I said "I fear". I didn't say "he doesn't know what he's doing". There's a difference.

Fear: An unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.

He's 13, I knew a kid who lost his arm when he was 14. Hence my concern.

ah.

[blush]

Archived