Gibson Brands Forums

What model is this?

duluthdan

What model is this? Love the simple finish, and the simple tones - probably part of the allure is playing for a girl in a park somewhere in FrancE. Oh well, a guy can dream. I have 6 dreadnaughts - maybe its time to add a bit of variety to the line up. I was thinking about, ok obsessing about, looking for an SJ, but I like this little number. Any clues as to model? Finish looks simply fine to me too.

Next to Jay Nash is his cohort - Joey Ryan - but I keep looking at the interested listener in the background in the white shirt. I think this is a pretty nice little humble guitar - not a J-45 - but pretty good little number for playing parks in France. [cool]

Cool little guitar to have while travelling I s'pose.

I was in Paris a few months ago, that looks like the grassy area in front of the Eiffel Tower.

Sure it would be nice to have one of these while travelling, and it may be humble by Gibson standards, but I think it is still a bit on the expensive side for a simple backpacker-come-camping guitar. JT apparently travels with his banner LG, though. I wonder if he breaks it out for campfire singalongs.

If it really is the Champ de Mars, then it is indeed in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower. The Parc des Buttes-Chaumont would have been somewhat cooler. Though perhaps you see more Gibsons on the lawn adjoining the Tour Eiffel.

From the second video, it looks like they refinished the guitar using Coca-Cola.

I have to commend him for pulling that much sound out of the humble LG0. My first was a '66...beat to crap with good good ladder braced tone. My second was a '64 and not as good, had the plastic bridge. Then I bought a gorgeous 1st year built '58, opened the original case, dark unitone mahogany like the one in the vid like it just came out of a music store. It had a long life under a bed in a nice cozy house. I knew it was a guitar I would have forever. I restrung it, tuned it, pulled it to my lap and spent the next two hours trying to get any acceptable sound from it. Then the next two weeks. Slammed it up on Ebay and shipped to Japan making 50 bucks. What an emotional rollercoaster.

I have to commend him for pulling that much sound out of the humble LG0. My first was a '66...beat to crap with good good ladder braced tone. My second was a '64 and not as good, had the plastic bridge. Then I bought a gorgeous 1st year built '58, opened the original case, dark unitone mahogany like the one in the vid like it just came out of a music store. It had a long life under a bed in a nice cozy house. I knew it was a guitar I would have forever. I restrung it, tuned it, pulled it to my lap and spent the next two hours trying to get any acceptable sound from it. Then the next two weeks. Slammed it up on Ebay and shipped to Japan making 50 bucks. What an emotional rollercoaster.

I have the dark colour early 1958 LG-0. I use it for permanent G tuning (Fingerpicking and slide).

Sounds great to me, but I had it set up by a great luthier! It has the chunky 50's neck, rosewood bridge, bone nut etc - none of the plastic 60s stuff...

I would be proud to play this guitar anywhere.

I posted this track a few months ago of me playing EC's track Running on Faith on said LG-0:

http://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/faith1a

BluesKing777.

Next to Jay Nash is his cohort - Joey Ryan - but I keep looking at the interested listener in the background in the white shirt. I think this is a pretty nice little humble guitar - not a J-45 - but pretty good little number for playing parks in France. [cool]

Im glad you cleared this up Dan, I was a little concerned [scared] .....LOL

I have the dark colour early 1958 LG-0. I use it for permanent G tuning (Fingerpicking and slide).

Sounds great to me, but I had it set up by a great luthier! It has the chunky 50's neck, rosewood bridge, bone nut etc - none of the plastic 60s stuff...

I would be proud to play this guitar anywhere.

I posted this track a few months ago of me playing EC's track Running on Faith on said LG-0:

[url=http://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/faith1a]http://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/faith1a[/

BluesKing777.

Goes to show each little git box has it's own voice and range, model/year notwithstanding.

JT apparently travels with his banner LG, though. I wonder if he breaks it out for campfire singalongs.

Alas, these days I only take it to campfire celebrations withing the US. The guitar has a fingerboard and bridge made of Brazilian rosewood and my work on CITES has convinced me not to take the guitar across international borders.

Alas, these days I only take it to campfire celebrations withing the US. The guitar has a fingerboard and bridge made of Brazilian rosewood and my work on CITES has convinced me not to take the guitar across international borders.

So it's carbon fibre in the backpack, then! I think we can draw sad conclusions from your legal wisdom, John. I'm sure CITES is aiming at something noble, but when a fine old instrument can't travel, one has to wonder. Your travelling instrument should stand up to campfires all right, but when I checked the model out, I noticed that it's even more expensive than my Gibson. So I'll be looking for a cheaper travel guitar, I think.

Archived