Gibson Brands Forums

59 Les Paul for sale

daveinspain

250 k for a refin and a broken headstock! Yikes, I mean it's the holy grail and all, but with all that crap done to it, and the bigsby holes, forget it at that price. I would bet half that. Plus it's J. Geils, I mean big deal, it's not like it's Duane Allman or Peter Green.

Plus it's J. Geils, I mean big deal, it's not like it's Duane Allman or Peter Green.

Duane Allman and Peter Green suck. There, I sunk your subjective point. Now the rich Geils fan can buy this without hesitation from his peers.

I have to go see it! This shop is close to where I live!

I've only seen 59s from a distance.

you know if it is coming out of that shop it is the real deal, Tommy and the boy's over at Mr.Music Know whats up.

Obviously it would only fetch that price from either a serious fan of the band or someone very keen on it's provenance/historical aspect.

Considered, for a moment, purely as a '59 'burst; there's an awful lot of non-original parts on that guitar. In addition it has had a pretty serious headstock repair and has also been refinished.

As the current going rate for a moderately flamed '58-'60 in good condition from Gruhn's is in the $135k - $150k range I doubt it will appeal to anyone for reasons other than it's historical status.

I'm pretty confident it'll sound good, though...

P.

Obviously it would only fetch that price from either a serious fan of the band or someone very keen on it's provenance/historical aspect.

Considered, for a moment, purely as a '59 'burst; there's an awful lot of non-original parts on that guitar. In addition it has had a pretty serious headstock repair and has also been refinished.

As the current going rate for a moderately flamed '58-'60 in good condition from Gruhn's is in the $135k - $150k range I doubt it will appeal to anyone for reasons other than it's historical status.

P.

It will be interesting to see if it does sell and for how much. After all you can buy just about any Les Paul and it will sound good...

P.

It plays good..........I would know....I'm familiar with it from years ago....

I don't know about the price, but that guitar has 2 BIG things going for it:

Original Zebra PAF's

Beautiful curl on the top.

I wouldn't pretend to guess the value of the guitar because of the owner, but it DOES give it some VERY solid provenance. We know where it has been, what was done to it, and even have records that were recorded with it. (Pretty GOOD records).

I think this guitar is the REAL DEAL. It represents every reason why they are valueable and "collected". It is also a real part of history in that is was PLAYED for all the reasons they were desired and made famous.

I think when all the remaining ones are collected and compared, this one is near the top. I am guessing poeple will care more about it's history and provenance than the refin and broken headstock.

AND the TOP and the PUPS.

It plays good..........I would know....I'm familiar with it from years ago....

You have gotten around over the years haven't you Damian?

It would be cool to sit around over a few beers and whatnot and hear some stories.

The world seems smaller with the internet but the reality is that it is not.

Dave

I think this guitar is the REAL DEAL. It represents every reason why they are valueable and "collected". It is also a real part of history in that is was PLAYED for all the reasons they were desired and made famous.

I think when all the remaining ones are collected and compared, this one is near the top. I am guessing poeple will care more about it's history and provenance than the refin and broken headstock.

Oh, I agree completely with this, Stein.

By far the most attractive aspect about the guitar in my view is in the very real history it's been a party to - not the wood, metal and plastic bits. And $250k seems a pretty fair price.

[thumbup]

P.

$250,000 is way out of the ball park for a Les Paul of that era.A mint '57-'60 can be had for half that,as a matter of fact there's a near mint '57 Goldtop at Gary's Classic Guitars in Cincinnati,Ohio for only $119,000 and she has PAFs,there's a '59 Les Paul Custom at Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan for only $70,000.Vintage Les Pauls have come down drastically in price in the past couple of years but I guess someone failed to tell these guys.They may be trying to play the "celebrity" card but although J. Geils is well known and a fine guitarist he hasn't nearly attained the musical stature for one of his guitars to be worth a quarter million bucks.

Let me tell ya... we all know the Asian market eats that kinda stuff up.

So I would not be surprised at all if it actually took in that much on auction.

If it is not worth that much too you, so be it.

It will be to someone somewhere.

I can't afford it, so I don't even think about it in that capacity.

On the other hand it is a super cool piece of Boston Rock history.

Very cool looking guitar, I don't think I'd ever pay that much for it unless I was a serious collector though. Great group too, Peter Wolf has been in my dad's studio a few times in recent years, possibly with other members but I'm not sure at the moment.

Archived