Gibson Brands Forums

anyone put fender saddles on a nighthawk?

hawkfanatic

Mine is still 99.9% stock, Hawk ... just haven't felt the need to make any changes to this guitar other than changing the knobs.

I don't imagine Fender saddles would have a HUGE effect on tone, but I could be wrong. I think if I were going to change saddles, I might go for Graphtech "String-Savers" instead, but as I said, I'm pretty satisfied with things the way they are.

EpiphoneNighthawkCustomKnobChange02.jpg

Jim

I never had a Nighthawk, but I can comment on Strat type saddles because I have replaced a lot of them.

I think they DO make a difference. Not enough to be able to tell if you didn't compare, but if you replace them on a guitar you are familiar with, it can make a difference. The stamped steel does have it's own sound, as does brass, forged steel, etc.

The only way to know is to try them. You might like them, or not care. I'm thinking this is one of those things that even if someone described it, it may or may not be the same thing you hear yourself.

Thanks for the replies. But anything less than a reply from someone who's tried this isn't useful to me because i've done a lifetime's worth of experimenting with saddles, bridges, you name it. The only thing that will help is someone who's done this change on a nighthawk specifically. I know exactly what the difference is between block saddles and bent vintage saddles on the strats i've tried it on, but 1-the NH saddles could be a different material than any i've had on any strat bridge i've done this swap to, and 2-the difference could be more or less pronounced on a set neck mahogany guitar than a fender, and most of my experimentation has been on fenders.

the difference is what i'd have to call subtle knowing what others would think of it, but to me it's not so subtle because it makes a considerable difference to me. The improvement i hear on strats is the same kind of improvement i feel the nighthawk can use. Not that the NH isn't great sounding as is, but i can hear what it's capable in it's sound and i know it's capable of more.

It's tough with this guitar because so few have them and have modded and reviewed the mods. One guy i know of on another forum added the seymour pickups, another change i'm considering, but i PM'd him and no answer. It's frustrating. But as good as this guitar is, i firmly believe it's capable of extreme greatness. It's already one of the the best electrics i've owned, and that coming from a dedicated strat man who has bought and sold a boatload of gibsons, epis and other gibson style guitars and never held on to any of them for more than a few months. The NH will go to the grave with me, and thats saying a lot coming from me. (then again, i'm not a long ways from the grave [biggrin] )

Sounds to me like you've got your answer there, Hawk! If you hear the difference than that's really all that matters! I'd personally love to hear some before and after soundclips if you decide to go ahead with the mod!

Jim

It looks to me that if anyone is going to be able to comment, it gonna be YOU!

I get that a lot, myself. Don't feel out of place.

The position of "expert on Epi Nighthawk saddles" appears to be WIDE open.

Sounds to me like you've got your answer there, Hawk! If you hear the difference than that's really all that matters! I'd personally love to hear some before and after soundclips if you decide to go ahead with the mod!

Jim

there are some changes you can hear in a clip. But there are many more that you wouldn't be able to hear if you had a dogs hearing. Yet if YOU are the one playing the guitar you can hear the subtle yet important difference. This is one of them. I can hear the difference between saddle on my strat easily, some being very very obvious. But if i handed the guitar to someone else and had them play it with both sets of saddles in a A/B test, as a listener i couldn't hear that if mt life depended on it. Add to that a resording of it with makes it even less obvious and a clip will do nothing. how many times have you seen people on forums post a clip of a song or even of thier own playing and ask people to guess what the guitar it is only to have people guess it's a strat when it's actually a LP or visa versa? Do you think those same people would have guessed wrong if they were the ones playing the guitars blindfolded? They would of course know by the feel, but if there was a way to disguise the feel of each guitar, do you think they couldn't tell a strat sound from LP if they were playing it? yet many people couldn't tell on a recording. So it's imaginable that someone could hear a difference like saddles on a recording. EJ likely wouldn't be able to. (tho he'd probably think he did via placebo effect [biggrin] )

Archived