Gibson Brands Forums

New (vintage) Pedal Day!

Dub-T-123

I guess this qualifies as "vintage". Who cares anyways..

photo-1232.jpg

The new pedal is the Small Stone on the far left. It's one of the "Issue J" models from the '70s which were the second version of the Small Stone.

It sounds pretty amazing. I'm diggin it!

photo-365.jpg

Here's a closer up pic. I'm a little bummed that the seller scratched the **** out of it when he tried to clean some rust off the bottom because otherwise this would have been super clean. But whatever, I'm not a collector and this thing really sounds awesome.

Congrats, brother. Looks like a winner. I think if my phase90 ever kicked it i'd get one of these.

Thanks dude. The cool thing is you can still find these for pretty cheap. I paid $70 including shipping for this which I think is even cheaper than the new Nano Stone.

The newer versions are really good too though. The two I have here sound almost identical. It's a subtle difference, so if you get one just grab whatever you can find a good deal on.

Which one do you like more? Oh and grats!!

That's hard to say. They sound very similar to each other, but the older one sounds a bit smoother in sone way. It's hard to describe, but I think I like the older one just slightly better.

Really though, they're both excellent. You can't go wrong with either.

Congrats on getting such a classic pedal for such a good price,you can't beat the sound of the old Electro-Harmonix pedals.My Bad Stone is from the first year that they were made and it's still going strong after over 40 years,they always made their pedals bullet proof.

BTW: If you have a key board try running it through your Small Stone,I guarantee that you'll be impressed with the sound.

Congrats on getting such a classic pedal for such a good price,you can't beat the sound of the old Electro-Harmonix pedals.My Bad Stone is from the first year that they were made and it's still going strong after over 40 years,they always made their pedals bullet proof.

BTW: If you have a key board try running it through your Small Stone,I guarantee that you'll be impressed with the sound.

Thanks dude. I agree old EHX pedals are pretty much as cool as it gets. This is really an amazing sounding phaser and it works perfectly. It's not noisy or anything like that. It's sweet.

I read that the Bad Stone has a switch that allows you to disable the LFO, then one of the knobs lets you tune in the knotched phase sound. That is sooo cool I wish I could do that. There's a certain spot in the low end of the sweep in the color mode (5 stage) that really emphasizes my fuzz in a cool way that I wish I could just lock the LFO at.

I wonder if I could mod my v4 Stone to do that..

Searcy what versions of the Small Stone do you have? I know you have a Sovtek right?

Is it just me or do EHX pedals look way cooler and sexier than MXR, Boss, and the more expensive boutique boxes out there? I dig the metal casing on those old boxes (The Deluxe Memory Man looks as beautiful and lofi and orgasmic as is sounds. YAH!). It always seemed to me that the Small Stone was similar to a Maestro Phase Shifter only with less of a vocal-type sweep for a lack of a better term and better rate control. I mean, the Small Stone at 40 percent speed with the color switch off sounds like 2112. Anyways, the Ver. 2 Small Stone is Gilmour up the rear.

Thanks guys!

Yeah Kaleb, the old big box EHX pedals are super cool looking. I haven't tried a Maestro but Giantrobot420 used to have one. That bastard.. Check out my settings man I usually use it set pretty much just how you described. You're right I can get some very Gilmourish sounds with this and a fuzz.

I've gotta say though, this v2 is really doing it for me. It sounds incredible. I opened it up and the quality is actually quite nice. Nicer than my newer one. So I think I'm gonna sell my v4 (even though it's amazing) and stick with the v2.

Archived