Gibson Brands Forums

How can I tell if my 2007 SJ200 is True Vintage?

Joseph P

.....it has an orange label.....

Everything had an orange label in 2007. I think it was sometime in 2010 that standards started showing up with the white label, the orange one remaining on TV and other "custom" models. An inquiry to Gibson should settle this one.......

1333586056[/url]' post='1170441']

Yeah, I knew that some came with a black case, the LTD Edition HB TV had a black case too.

The SJ-200 sure looks to me to be a TV .....it has an orange label , which I guess distinguishes it from the MC which afaik has a beige label......

Yep, but I saw many gibson custom shop without a gold decal logo on the back of the headstock...I've also seen an orange label on a j200 custom while mine has a regular yellow label (the j200 custom it's a regular line, not a custom shop)...Gibson creates a bit of confusion in these things...And now gibson has replaced the 'modern classic' with the 'standard'...

Everything had an orange label in 2007. I think it was sometime in 2010 that standards started showing up with the white label, the orange one remaining on TV and other "custom" models. An inquiry to Gibson should settle this one.......

How do I get a hold of Gibson. Can't find any contact phone number on their web site. Maybe I'm missing it.

That's a bit odd. The J-200 MC (Standard) in 2007 and 2008 have beige labels according to pictures I've seen and the 2008 MC I own, check the pic -

Contact Gibson - service@gibson.com or 1-800-444-2766

08GibsonSJ200f-md.jpg

Meanwhile, this 2007 TV has an orange label -

Also note: the MC (Standard) had a 2 ribbon bridge and the TV had a 4 ribbon bridge - If Joseph has a 2007 with a 4 ribbon bridge, it's a TV. If the top is throwing you, in 2007 the TV had a Sitka top and went to Adi some time in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFD5C74L_-M

Hi, I bought a really nice 2007 SJ200 second hand a while ago and was told it was True Vintage. I really didn't care at the time because it was so awesome sounding. I am thinking of selling it because I am trying to raise enough to get the Jackson Browne model (Smeck) custom. So it has the orange label but it just says SJ200 inside and the year is 2007. I pretty sure it's a Sitka Spruce top. Any help would be great. Oh yea, do you think $2700 is a good/fair price?

This is definitely a TV. Not saying "TV" on the label is right, and Sitka top is right. (The first Adi-topped J-200 TVs were the VOS run in 2008.) However, I have an even earlier 2007 SJ-200 TV (late January), and it came with the heavy-duty Cali girl-like case, so they were available at the time yours was built. It's not impossible yours shipped with a black case -- they do things like that in Bozeman when they run out of the "right" case -- but you're quite possibly a victim of a case swap by the former owner or the dealer.

As for the price, seems reasonable to me, but I guess you'll find out when you try to sell it.

-- Bob R

Archived