Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice, which EMG's for my new traditional pro

rhoadspro

I just bought a Gibson Traditional Pro Goldtop. Its freakin gorgeous and I had to have it. Plays amazing too.

I like the Gibson pickups, but Duncans and Emgs are better and I prefer them. I already have duncans on my Epi so I want to buy my first set of Emgs for my new Gibson. I know the EMG 81 is a greta lead pickup, but I don't know which one for the neck. for the neck position I want the good cleans. Which EMG is bets for cleans?

Thanks

I just bought a Gibson Traditional Pro Goldtop. Its freakin gorgeous and I had to have it. Plays amazing too.

I like the Gibson pickups, but Duncans and Emgs are better and I prefer them. I already have duncans on my Epi so I want to buy my first set of Emgs for my new Gibson. I know the EMG 81 is a greta lead pickup, but I don't know which one for the neck. for the neck position I want the good cleans. Which EMG is bets for cleans?

Thanks

Another thing to think about when ordering your EMGs is to make sure you get them with long shaft pots for a LP.

If you order the Zakk Wylde EMG set, it already comes with long shaft pots.

You also get an EMG 81 for the bridge and an EMG 85 for the neck. http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/3/148/1

Curious:

What is it you like about Duncans or EMG's that makes them better?

It might be helpful to know where you are coming from if you are asking what you should get.

Also, I am curious for myself...as in learning something.

Curious:

What is it you like about Duncans or EMG's that makes them better?

It might be helpful to know where you are coming from if you are asking what you should get.

Also, I am curious for myself...as in learning something.

They are way higher output, and not just that, they just sound better to me. I have the JB/JAzz duncans in my epi and thye sound amazing. Gibson pickups are meh to me.

They are way higher output, and not just that, they just sound better to me. I have the JB/JAzz duncans in my epi and thye sound amazing. Gibson pickups are meh to me.

Not much of a description.

As for "better", replacing the pups in an Epi to high quality ones like Duncans SHOULD sound "better". But replacing a high quality pup with another high quality pup might not sound "better" , but different.

Higher output pups WILL sound and react different than lower output ones. Some people like the way they drive an amp, and some like the way they lack a lot of the harminics and character that might interfere with high gain settings.

I guess I would say go for the comparable EMG to the JB/JAZZ set. But I don't think anyone can tell you which YOU will prefer if you don't say what it is that is DIFFERENT that you want to go to.

You haven't said either what pups you have you are not liking.

Learn the way my young grasshopper and you will be allowed heavenly high gain tones...from Sabbath to Morbid.

Obey thou pickup. https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers

(Look at the CONTEMPORARY pickups)

I would stay away from EMG's maybe Duncan's JB but to tell you the truth your EMG's are going to make your sound too sterile. Try the nail bomb if you want tI throw down with a natural sound. Also give thought to Lollar pups. They are awesome. Don't just jump into mainstream pups. Check out some boutique ones. Well worth the money and the tone is awesome. I've modded a ton of guitars and found that EMG's Duncan's and dimarzios (mainstream pups) just don't do it. A high dollar guitar deserves high dollar pups. Check out the frailins also. Good pups..

But in my opinion... Lollar is the way to go. Very round and balanced tone. The emgs are just one trick pups. The lollars or the frailins will blow your mind. Check em out on you tube or on lollars site. Search Lollar on google you'll find em..

I think it's foolish to lump all Gibson pups together and say they're all meh. A lot of successfull musicians would be surprised to learn that. The Trad Pro has the '57 Classic Plus and Burstbucker 3. Really not a bad combo, I think.

But to clarify.... The Gibson pups are very good pups. Setup is key. Modding a Gibson.. Is a tough call. I've done it a few times and regretted it. Always went back to the original pups.. (Gibson)

Strats are another story.. Mod the crap out of those. :)

Archived