Gibson Brands Forums

Rhythm Guitarist?

J.R.M.30!

Of all the great rock bands there are most have a lead guitarist. Gun's N' Roses, Slash, Led Zepelin, Jimmy Page, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Jimi Hendrix and on and on. The Who on the other hand as just a rhythm guitarist, Pete Townhsend. I'm sure there are other bands where it's just a rhythm guitarist but I can't think of any off the top of my head right now. By the way, Pete was pretty good rhythm player and has cracked the top whatever guitarest of all time in my book. [thumbup]

There's always Keef. Or the guy in Chic.

It's the rhythm/lead thing - if there's only guitar, bass and drums then the guitarist has to cover a lot. Jimi was a monster rhythm player, too.

Some people say that 'pure' rhythm guitar is a vanishing/lost art. Not yet.

Another thought on rhythm guitar... seems to be many of the guitarists often touted as great "lead" guitarists are also great "rhythm" guitarists. Personally I think the two are inseparable. How could you ever manage a decent lead with no sense of rhythm. Jimi Hendrix masterfully blended lead and rhythm figures together as did Eddie Van Halen.

Another thought on rhythm guitar... seems to be many of the guitarists often touted as great "lead" guitarists are also great "rhythm" guitarists. Personally I think the two are inseparable. How could you ever manage a decent lead with no sense of rhythm. Jimi Hendrix masterfully blended lead and rhythm figures together as did Eddie Van Halen.

Very true. Maybe the thread is meant to be about single guitarist bands where the guitar is the main accompanying instrument over the percussion/bass section.

In that case, I'd add Johnny Marr, Viv Campbell (Dio days), Randy Rhoads, Jake E Lee, Zakk Wilde and and Brian Setzer to your list. All highly accomplished players who effectively carry the band.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot the Reverend - he's on my avatar! #-o

Tom Johnston - Doobie Brothers

Thought the voice sounded familiar and then I got to the second video and instantly recognized the song.

He certainly has a fantastic voice and great feel as a guitarist. [thumbup]

Back a few years ago a guy named Duane and a guy named Dickey swapped rhythm and lead parts repeatedly and effortlessly throughout most of their songs. It's never been easy for me to form an opinion as to which was better at what. I still marvel at their work.

Charlie Daniels Band - back when Tom Crain was his right hand man. Charlie and Tom were both spectacular rhythm guitarists...and the harmony leads were killer!

[thumbup] Yes! CDB was definitely a great double Les Paul team. And they get

way too little love on the Gibson forum I might add...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC0yAZKApY0

By the way, Pete was pretty good rhythm player and has cracked the top whatever guitarest of all time in my book. [thumbup]

Townshend was lead, rhythm, composer, and everything else. If you think of him solely as a rhythm player, you haven't listened to enough Who. His guitar playing is highly under recognized in my book.

Townshend was lead, rhythm, composer, and everything else. If you think of him solely as a rhythm player, you haven't listened to enough Who. His guitar playing is highly under recognized in my book.

Townshend has gone on record (no pun intended) as saying he considered John Entwhistle to be the 'lead guitarist' of The Who........

Seriously.

P.

Archived