Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions wanted on a potential trade

samiam

Opinions wanted: A '91 Orville Les Paul Custom was listed today in the local craigslist for $900. The seller is interested in a possible trade for my '07 V (classic white, completely stock with a couple cosmetic flaws here and OHSC). Does this sounds like a fair deal?

Not sure what forum would be most appropriate for this so I apologize if this is in the wrong area...

Opinions wanted: A '91 Orville Les Paul Custom was listed today in the local craigslist for $900. The seller is interested in a possible trade for my '07 V (classic white, completely stock with a couple cosmetic flaws here and OHSC). Does this sounds like a fair deal?

Not sure what forum would be most appropriate for this so I apologize if this is in the wrong area...

A genuine Gibson for a NOT genuine Gibson?

I don't ACTUALLY know, but 900 bucks seems to begin with.

Orville brand guitars were licensed copies built in Japan. They were not built by Gibson.

Just to add to this. Japanese guitars are usually extremely high in quality. In my opinion Fender Japan make better guitars than Fender USA. I'm not familiar with Orvilles, but the high end ones should be similar in quality with a Gibson. As a les Paul fan myself, I'd be very interested in the Orville.

Lets put some perspective on this. It's just a regular old dime a dozen ebay everyday 67 RI Flying V.

I'm a Gibson V fanatic but I'm not drowned in the kool aid. The V is way way OVER PRICED for what it is and what you get as a whole for a guitar. Now the Orville LP, especially if it's one branded Orville by Gibson, is 30 times more guitar than any 67 RI V, it's like getting a real LP. Now, would I trade a Gibson LP for an Orville LP, Nope. That would be a financial mistake, but a 67 RI V - bring it on!

Orville_by_Gibson_headstock.jpg

I appreciate all the responses so far. Just to be clear the lpc is an orville, not the orville by Gibson. It was made in the terada factory and most likely has the Japanese pup's rather than the real Gibson ones that normally are installed in the orville by Gibson guitars. Also I'm not as stuck on the name on the headstock as I am the overall quality of the instrument. Although resale value does mean something too..

I appreciate all the responses so far. Just to be clear the lpc is an orville, not the orville by Gibson. It was made in the terada factory and most likely has the Japanese pup's rather than the real Gibson ones that normally are installed in the orville by Gibson guitars. Also I'm not as stuck on the name on the headstock as I am the overall quality of the instrument. Although resale value does mean something too..

The regular Orville's are well made too, I've seen both your V and an Orville LP/LPC sell for about the same used (I've seen Orville's sell for more too depending on Top) so money wise you aren't really losing out. You won't lose out on quality either. What it boils down to, as you say the brand on the guitar is not a factor for you, is if you're more into playing a LPC or the V.

Two other factors to consider........

1. From what people are saying, the Orville isn't that rare and there also seem to be plenty of Japanese "made and imported" LP copies on eBay. As such, I'd hazard a guess that the Gibson V will hold its price much more over the next 10-20 years than the Orville.

2. I'm assuming this is an "unseen" trade. So, given that one guitar is 16 years older than the other, how much work/money might need to go in to frets and hardware to get the Orville playing well? You could end up with a lot of work/expense on your hands.

My gut is that the other guy would be tickled pink with the swap if you went through with it. If you don't like/play the V and want a LP then sell it locally for what it's worth and then look to get something like a Gibby LP Studio or one of the new Classic Customs or Standard Plusses when they start to come on the used market. At least then you'd still have the real deal.

Well, the guy got cold feet and said a V (or rather its hot PUP's) wasn't for him so I never got a chance to try his Orville out. There were some really valid points brought up in here on both sides so in the end it was probably for the best. I'd love to have a LP but there's no way I would ever be able to afford (or justify, ha) a custom so thought this might be a route worth considering. Also I just picked up a Epiphone SG last week so I might sell both of those for a true Gibson LP down the road.

Hello! Orville (Les Paul) guitars are great. Quality, fit and finish is perfect. Just as a "real" Gibson - made in Japan. They getting very expensive in Europe now, otherwise I would consider buying one. Although when they are sold at a price of a GIBSON Les Paul Studio, - well - I would get the Studio instead. Just because of the brandname. But I would pass a V anytime for an Orville LP. Cheers... Bence

I agree with one of the posters earlier... we need to stop drinking the Gibson Cool Aid... I mean if someone posts I want to trade a Gibson LP studio for a 65 strat, are we going to say it's not a fair trade just because we are trading a Gibson for a Fender...

Economically it's a fair trade... they are both worth roughly the same amount of money... Just make sure the Orville is in good condition and is all original...

I agree with one of the posters earlier... we need to stop drinking the Gibson Cool Aid... I mean if someone posts I want to trade a Gibson LP studio for a 65 strat, are we going to say it's not a fair trade just because we are trading a Gibson for a Fender...

Economically it's a fair trade... they are both worth roughly the same amount of money... Just make sure the Orville is in good condition and is all original...

You are right... I do believe there is some type of drug in the kool aid... I play my fenders a lot more than my gibsons and they sound/play just as good if not better. Hell I play a guitar I built a lot more than any of them. Because it feels right and sounds amazing... Gibsons are way overpriced and overrated... But I do like em... Hahaha

Maybe I'll go back to prs once I see this new custom I ordered. If I do not like it.. It's going back and I will stay with another brand for good. Oh well.. Quit drinking the kool aid... :) funny

Gibsons are way overpriced and overrated... But I do like em... Hahaha

Maybe I'll go back to prs once I see this new custom I ordered. If I do not like it.. It's going back and I will stay with another brand for good.

Interesting that you consider Gibsons overpriced yet you like PRS. The (IMHO) superior build quality on a good LP can't be beat in my opinion. Each to their own I suppose. There's nothing like a good Les Paul in my opinion. A good SG is nice too. I remember a few years ago, the SG special (not faded) were selling new for £500. A genuine, premium quality guitar made in America for £500. The lack of a hard case helped explain the price, but it was still a bargain if you ask me. I wish I snapped a few of them up. A friend of mine bought one of those SG specials and even talked the dealer down to £430. That SG was almost as good as the '61 reissue I'd had stolen a few years before and was less than half the price. I briefly owned it and it was an amazing guitar.

Interesting that you consider Gibsons overpriced yet you like PRS. The (IMHO) superior build quality on a good LP can't be beat in my opinion. Each to their own I suppose. There's nothing like a good Les Paul in my opinion. A good SG is nice too. I remember a few years ago, the SG special (not faded) were selling new for £500. A genuine, premium quality guitar made in America for £500. The lack of a hard case helped explain the price, but it was still a bargain if you ask me. I wish I snapped a few of them up. A friend of mine bought one of those SG specials and even talked the dealer down to £430. That SG was almost as good as the '61 reissue I'd had stolen a few years before and was less than half the price. I briefly owned it and it was an amazing guitar.

Well I guess I should've stated that the last couple of les Paul's I have played/owned sounded nice and played well but there were finish flaws ie bubbles on the finish file marks on the neck of a custom es335 figured top. Sounded great played awesome. But flawed. I know I know.. However when paying 3000.00 the guitar should be perfect. Gibson has slacked recently.. Now the prs... Unlikely it may be that I buy one again.. Plays very well... Sounds great and the finish work is perfect.. Hmmm... Same price better quality.. Just sayin.. I love les Paul's... Love em... I never will give up the search for the perfect Paul... I just wish they were all finished properly.. They seem to just be pushed off of the line to appease the company not the client.

Oh well.. I love the les Paul. The look and the feel..

Archived