Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions wanted on a potential trade

samiam

Keep looking. The perfect Les Paul is out there for you. Yes, some are a little suspect in quality, but the good ones, aren't overpriced at all. Find yourself a perfect one and it will be the best $3000 dollars you have spent.

As for PRS V Gibson, I'm originally from the UK, and PRS are generally more expensive across the board than Gibson in the UK. Assumed it was the same elsewhere.

Keep looking. The perfect Les Paul is out there for you. Yes, some are a little suspect in quality, but the good ones, aren't overpriced at all. Find yourself a perfect one and it will be the best $3000 dollars you have spent.

As for PRS V Gibson, I'm originally from the UK, and PRS are generally more expensive across the board than Gibson in the UK. Assumed it was the same elsewhere.

Yeah.. I hear ya... I will find it.. I know I will.. I always go back to the les Paul.... It's an awesome instrument.

Thanks for setting me straight... :)

Interesting twist today...I replied to a different craigslist ad yesterday for a mesa/boogie amp and it turned out to be from the same guy who was selling the Orville. He said he was still thinking about the trade for the V and maybe swapping pups or something, so I guess the deal could still happen but who knows. I actually pulled out the V and played it a couple hours tonight and remembered why I bought it...it's just fun guitar to rock out with! I had been neglecting it since I picked up a Epiphone SG (Iommi sig) a couple weeks ago and I totally agree with the comments above about Gibson being overpriced for what they are. I mean, the Epi SG goes for about 1/2 what a Gibson standard goes for and I just don't see where all the extra money goes besides the headstock. That being said, there IS something cool about owning a real Gibson so maybe that's enough justification to set their prices where they are at.

I mean, the Epi SG goes for about 1/2 what a Gibson standard goes for and I just don't see where all the extra money goes besides the headstock.

It goes to pay American factory workers and to pay American taxes.

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo...interesting development since I last posted here. The Orville owner got in contact with me and brought up the trade idea again (I assume his other deal fell through, whatever). We ended up agreeing to take each others guitar home for the weekend and try them out before going ahead with a trade or anything. OK, so I've been playing his for an hour or so and am really impressed..first with how friggin heavy it is (10.4 lbs according to my bathroom scale) and second the overall feel/quality for being a "k serial" Orville which are supposedly the lower grade of the Orville/Orville by Gibson guitars. I've only played a couple Gibson LP studios in a guitar store but this seems to feel better than those (with the understanding they probably were not set up either). Even with the non-Gibson pups, it sounds great through my rig. It does has a few beauty marks here and there but for being 20yrs old, its it exceptionally fine shape. So here's the kicker..as I was playing I notice the D string nut looks like it has been filed too wide and has some play with allows the string to move during bends and causes a noticeable 'plink' sound. It's enough to feel and be annoying but not really enough to hear with any amount of gain, and is barely audible on the clean channel unless you are listening for it. Still, I know it would end up bugging me and would have to be remedied. I can't tell if its the original nut or not but I would hate to do the trade and then have to pay for a nut replacement if a simple repair cant be done. As as dead even trade without the nut issue, I do concede he'd be getting the slightly better deal on the trade but I know I'd play the LP more than the V so I'm OK with that but I'm really on the fence about moving ahead and seeing what the repair would entail (if anybody can give me a idea if there is a cheaper solution than replacing the nut, please chime in) or just squashing the trade altogether.

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

You could get a graph tech nut from eBay for not very much but what if there are other, more serious problems you don't yet know about on a guitar of that age. I think I already hinted at this earlier in this thread but you should really just sell your V for what it's worth and take your time to find a LP you really like.

I don't buy second hand but I'd buy a used (but nearly new) Gibby LP over the guitar above any day of the week. I'll bet the other guy is rubbing his hands at the moment.

An old luthiers trick is to fill the slot with bone powder and super glue. Then file to spec. I have done this before with positive results.

You don't go nuts with it, just enough to fill the flaw, and leave room to re-slot properly.

Outside of that, a new nut would be needed to resolve that flaw.

I would not trade your V for this. You could find a better trade than this.

You could get a graph tech nut from eBay for not very much but what if there are other, more serious problems you don't yet know about on a guitar of that age. I think I already hinted at this earlier in this thread but you should really just sell your V for what it's worth and take your time to find a LP you really like.

I don't buy second hand but I'd buy a used (but nearly new) Gibby LP over the guitar above any day of the week. I'll bet the other guy is rubbing his hands at the moment.

Ya, problem is this one just felt real good from the get go! I'm probably rationalizing to a point but the LPC fills a bit of nostalgia for me as my very first electric guitar was a knockoff LP black beauty, not nearly as nice as this one but with the same vibe. Anyways, I spoke with the owner this morning and said he loves the V (no surprise) and I told him my concerns with the nut (and a intermittent toggle switch which I also discovered) and told him I'd like to take it to a luthier in town to see what would be involved in fixing the issues before making a decision. Said luthier tried filing the nut to no avail then concedes a new bone nut is probably the best bet versus filling/refiling the original (and also recommends a new switch too) for $140. I call the owner with the update and he finally agreed to pick up the repair tab if we went thru with the trade. Long story short, I'll pick up my new Orville in about a week and post some picks.

• 2 weeks later...

OK fellas, got the Orville LPC back from the repair shop (with new nut, toggle switch, strings, and set-up) and had a little over a week to settle in with it. During the overnight trial I thought new pickups would be the first things to buy for it but after playing around with the settings on my amp/pedals I found the stock pups (jap PAFs) to be more than adequate. I not a wiring expert but everything looks OK inside the cavity. I love the low-friction pots (they turn sooo easy) but wish the tone controls were a little more responsive...not sure if that warrants an entire wiring replacement at this point though. The neck feel solid, thickness its a little more than the V I traded for it but not a baseball bat either. Frets have minimal wear for being 20yrs old and action is perfect..zero fret buzz or dead spots on bends. Tuners are made in japan (could be gotoh?), must be 18:1 or something, and haven't had any issue with keeping it in tune. Other than trying a variety of tunings and putting some strap locks on it, I cant think of anything I'd improve to it yet (still in honeymoon phase Im sure)...well, it needs a case so that's probably on the short list of purchases I guess. So do I miss my V? Sure, I guess. Do I regret the trade? Nope, if I had unlimited funds, I would've bought the LPC versus doing a trade but I can tell already that I'll be playing the Orville more than V so it's all good and I feel good about the swap. Anywhoo..here's some pics:

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Archived