Gibson Brands Forums

Where is the strangest place you did it???

onewilyfool

Guess I'd have to say it was in a boxcar riding a train over the Cascade Mts. on the way to California in the mid 70's. When hitchiking out of Missoula, Montana it became obvious no one was going to stop for two idiots standing on the entrance ramp, so my friend talked me into heading down to the railyard. So it went. Unbelievable views, sitting with legs dangling off the side, I decided to whip it out and work on my Paul Simon repertoire. Like I said...idiots.

I still like to slide the shower curtain back and play into the tiled tub area. Good bounce off the walls.

Well, let's see...

I have played two evenings in august 1988 on "Karlov Most" (The bridge "Karlov") in Prague. First evening drank 1 beer and played&sung 3,5 hours. Audience-100 people. Second evening - same place, 2 beers and 3 hours playing&singing - 120 people audience.

Have played in trains, in busses, in other streets, in a ancient 1000 years old church (a museum of art now) where you can stay only 10 minutes and pay for this 5 euro. This was a ticket for my own show where the only audience were just me. Like in a Eugene Ionesco play...

When I was younger I loved to play&sing naked before my lovers (they were naked too and layed down in bed). It is so inspiring to play&sing ballads to the one you love just after you made love with her...msp_rolleyes.gifmsp_rolleyes.gifmsp_rolleyes.gif

Also have played in the attic of the building I live in (to make some records with my ZOOM H4).

Last summer when it was so very hot here in Sofia I played several times in the underpass just before the entrance of the building I live in. It is cool there in sumer, the acoustic is good (much reverb) and there are few passers. Just like a rehearsal in the subway. Sometimes they throw me some money, sometimes I tell them that the SJ200 is real and I just play for fun, not for money... But I really think tat when you play before audience and when the audience gives you something you don't have to refuse it. Just like when Faith gives you a good guitar you just have to play a lot to justify Good Faith's expectations msp_biggrin.gif

This reminds me the case when I played on the stage of an ancient theatre in the city of Plovdiv, Bulgaria. Te theatre was empty (nobody on the seats-just few passing tourists) and I was alone on the stage with my old Yamaha. I felt just like the souls of the people who were audience there once were again there on the seats to listen for a while, even I found two coins on the stage and putted them into the guitar. After that they were gone... Mistery... Unreal money from an unreal audience...

I love very much to play in my kitchen especially when it is winter and it is so very cold outside. And I am cooking some soup on the owen and I make a new song. new songs I like to make them same time when I cook something - good songs, good dishesmsp_lol.gif

"Up the butt Bob."

Sorry, could not help myself. For you young 'uns this was a now legendary supposed answer to a question asked on the Newlywed Game in the 1970s.

I have actually played in several cemeteries including the one near Beauregard, MS where Ike Zimmerman (the guy who taught Robert Johnson to play) used to hang out and pick.

Speaking of strange gigs and the 1970s though, with jobs drying up as Disco Fever took hold we and others bands were scarmbling for work so we would take gigs at places we never would have thought of playing. On one occasion, we ended up at one of those romantic getaway lodges in the Poconos. They put us in the Kon-Tiki room or something. I don't think any of the polyester clad dancing fools who walked in stayed more than five minutes before they left and headed down the hall to the room where a DJ was spinning the latest Bee Gees record.

Our bass player had booked the gig and pretty much told them we could handle "modern" music. For whatever reason he neglected to tell us. The management refused to pay us and we ended up settling for free food.

Lots of fine imagery here – The wagon ride over the Cascade Mountains, the theater in Plovdiv, Filmore East and more. . . . .

Yeah, as some of you probably know, I spent a series of golden years as a street busker around 19-22 years old. We had a band called Street Tigers and it had different formats from weekend to weekend, gig to gig. 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 sometimes 6 members would attend these ever exiting adventures. We normally started long after sundown – warmed up over red-wine in the small rooms where we lived first, then caught a late train to town and began just past midnite. All kinds of things would happen during those wild journeys and we always ended somewhere strange or groovy to eat breakfast – not seldom people invited us home. Some times we looked up a specific dark brown bar to count the coins and spend them on later than late micro-oven meals. At times we would go on playing after that – weren't afraid to repeat the whole repertoire there in the bar, in the halls of the Central Station, , , or whereever. And these performances often were the best as we were totally into the songs and harmonies already. Keep in mind we were greenhorns and had tons of energy.

One of these loaded mornings when I was out with one other member only (Chris, who played a Gibson MK something), we decided to approach a huge warehouse and deliver a show in one of the elevators there. So that's what was done. We simply moved in, unpacked the guitars and played for the customers as the box went up and down. My inner film is vague – the cabin was matt chrome and rather roomy. Went on for, , , , , I don't know how long, but approx.10 numbers. Wasn't the serious stuff, but tunes from the lighter end of the scale. Don't remember being kicked out – we just faded, presumably found the train home. And yes – requests were taken.

But that's not the weirdest place of mine. Only a few years back – in fact during an Easter party - my friend, who is a movie sound engineer and a former Street Tiger, mobile-recorded a few songs with me standing inside a huge closet with coats and suits hanging to all sides. Man it was tight in there, but I knocked off a couple. Immediately after, he went to a computer and sat up the thing – with a touch of reverb and a little comp. and what have you hehe (we were at some good friends house). Btw. he recently told me he still has it – Beware I might post it here. . . .

I’ve changed the words slightly; this was a sort of hit in the UK, way back by a group called Ivor Bigun and the Red Nosed Cowboys

It sort of fits this thread

My mother said that I never should play with the naughty rude girls in the wood

Their giggling talk I could never understood

And that’s why I fell in love with my right hand

(Chorus)

And that’s why

I'm a Player

I'm a Player

And does it good like it bloody well should

I'm a Player

I'm a Player

And I’m always plonking my wood

I was 25 years old before I was kissed and then I found that I preferred a swift strum from the wrist

It’s cheap and convenient and you can’t catch VD

It’s available at anytime and it’s absolutely free

(Chorus)

And that’s why

I'm a Player

I'm a Player

And it does me good like it bloody well should

I'm Player

I'm a Player

Oh Mrs Harn and your 5 lovely daughters

Thank you for having me and being oh so kind

I've got pains in my arms and my arms are growing shorter

My knees have turn to water

And I think I’m going blind

I've Played over Italy

I've Played over Spain

I've Played in an omibus

I've even had a plonk in a train

I've used a badger and a lemon and a cat an inflatable Linda Lovelace and a David Crocket hat

(Chorus)

And that’s why

I'm a Player

I'm a Player

And it does me good like it bloody well should

I'm a Player

I'm a Player

Oh Mrs Harn and your 5 lovely daughters

Thank you for having me and being oh so kind

I've pains in my arms and my arms are growing shorter

My knees have turn to water

And I think I’m going blind

When I was younger I loved to play&sing naked before my lovers (they were naked too and layed down in bed). It is so inspiring to play&sing ballads to the one you love just after you made love with her...

Toooooo much information!

I dunno if this is considered strange or not but I'll tell anyways. I got called into work one day for a quick run down to Montgomery Alabama. I'm a truck driver. I took my Martin D28 with me since it was a quick run and back home next day. That night when I parked in Montgomery I caught a cab over to the Hank Williams grave sight. I had a old kerosine lantern I kept in the tool box I took with me and the guitar so I'm sure the cab driver thought I was nuts. Anyway, I lit my lantern at his memorial grave sight and played there about 2 hours. The Lantern gave a very eerie glow to the situation but I was filled with feelings of appreciation and loneliness at the same time. It was Almost like his presence was there and I could feel his appreciation for my visit and taking my time to pay tribute to him. But anyhow it was a very intimate experience for me that I'll never forget.

If you really want to know......

my fleece Buddweiser pants, my Gibson T-shirt and my pink bunny slippers. [biggrin]

In other words....standard fashion plate outfit for the clothes fiend that you are!!!!! (by the way, do you have any pictures or videos????).....lol

Archived