Gibson Brands Forums

I've always wondered...

GotTheSilver

I've heard many times that higher action on an acoustic will result in more volume. Why is this exactly? The only reason I could think of is that the greater break angle of the strings over the bridge push the bridge down harder, resulting in more transfer of energy from the strings to the top. This could be completely wrong, though. Anyone know why this is?

It's 'relative' and a matter of personal taste and technique.

ANY guitar will have fret buzz if you strum it hard enough. The higher the action, the harder you can strum without buzz. Also, if the action is on the low side and you get buzz, the buzz prevents the strings from vibrating more if you were to strum hard enough to get more volume.

So, really, higher action does not make a guitar louder. But it may let you PLAY it louder if you want.

I like to drive the top so prefer heavier guage strings and a higher action on a guitar tuned down at least a whole step. Especially with my pre-War el cheapos this is the only way to get any kinda sound out of them. But in general, since I play hard, if the action is set too low I get way to much buzzing. I will also at times grab a bottleneck.

This is probably one of the reasons it takes me a while to acclimate to an electric - I tend to overplay the things.

I guess I ain't much of a Tone Hound though. Every guitar I own is a very different beast from the next. And I multi-task them all so it is not like I have this guitar for strumming and that guitar for fingerpicking or something.

But volume for me is a must.

Rumor has it that Freddy Green played his 18" Gretsch with 17 guage strings with the strings a 1/4" off the fingerbiard. I am sure he could be heard in a big band, but how many people could play a guitar like that.

Archived