Gibson Brands Forums

An Odd Couple

zombywoof

When I ran across this I could not resist it. A Kay mini-J200. Laminate maple back and sides with a spruce top. Full bound body (the top binding has a checkerboard pattern), fretboard and headstock. It is, as is not to be unexpected, ladder braced. The Kay had pretty much been stripped of most of its parts so I have been busy going through my parts box slapping on what I can scrounge up like the old open gear tuners. As soon as I get a nut cut for it I will string her up (very gingerly)and see what happens. The neck actually looks pretty good but it is starting to let go and these things were never angled properly to begin with anyway. I was looking for a summer project so this guitar might just be the ticket.

I could not resist taking a quick photo of the Kay with its big sister.

Kay6120001.jpg

Looks awesome zomby. Are you sure the back and sides are laminate? I wonder what it would cost to have a good luthier x brace it?

Yeah, I am sure. I doubt I would bother with the expense of having it rebraced but it might be a candidate for some brace shaving. The tuners I put on it are worth more than the guitrar.

Night & day

I have fixed up a few of these old beaters over the years and the funny thing about it is that after you put in the time and sweat (and with me sometimes a little blood) if when finished they are playable and make any kind of a noise you will go to your grave swearing it sounds alot better than it has a right to.

By the way (threadjacking alert) how does that old stratotone sound? I'm about to rewind the pickup on my friend's old stratotone. supposedly the original output was only 3.3k but hopefully I can get a little more out of it.

By the way (threadjacking alert) how does that old stratotone sound? I'm about to rewind the pickup on my friend's old stratotone. supposedly the original output was only 3.3k but hopefully I can get a little more out of it.

Sounds pretty much like you would expect which means a bit muddy. If you dial everything in just right and hit the phase switch you can conure up a T Bone Walker kinda vibe. Definitely an either you like it or don't thing though. I am obviously in the like it camp.

Archived