Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio 50s Tribute

JohnnyReb

Hi y'all. I'm mostly a acoustic guy and spend my time in the acoustic section of this site. So a big hello to all you electrified players !

I bought a 2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster brand new in 08 and never really bonded with it. It's a natural finish model and a real beauty. Not being a well schooled person in electric guitars I thought since I like traditional country and blues that a tele was my only choice. It sounds real good, that classic snappy sound of a tele but I never could get used to the feel of it. It is also a very sensitive guitar. The neck is thin and feels fragile, and my dreaded guerilla grip from playing acoustics seems to throw it off pitch by me even touching it. Now before I bought it my neibor let me borrow his les Paul studio and I loved it! So I have no clue why I didn't buy one in the first place. I guess it was the status quo that you have to have a tele to play country music. So anyway I don't play much electric regardless but I would like to have something I felt more comfortable with. Plus the tele doesn't come out of the case maybe twice a year and I feel it's just wasting away. I will add that I don't gig or anything, just a at home hobbyist.

Now, this les Paul studio 50s tribute has caught my eye. I love the vintage sunburst and it would really compliment my SB Advanced Jumbo well. It is my understanding that it has a big clubby neck on it, which I like. ( correct me if I'm wrong). I'm thinking the big sturdy neck may help withstand my guerrilla grip and not be near as sensitive to pressure as the fragile feeling tele. I know the key is technique but I need something sturdier to help me along. I love the Gibson fat sound too. I'm not into the distortion thing. Like a nice clean sound with some reverb. I like to play instrumental versions of old hank Williams songs and bluesy stuff, and the chuck berry sorta thing.

So what are some of your thoughts about this model? I know it is stripped of the bling which is fine with me. As long as its a quality playable instrument that is a bit less sensitive and touchy. I'm a bit wary of it for 849 bucks, that's pretty cheap. Does it hold up to its great name

Hello...

and yes I can tell you that the Tribute models are amazing... Somehow even though they are light they have a monster sound and have a satin finished neck where you can actually feel the grain of the wood but is still really smooth but a nice tactile feeling in your hands.. theres certainly lots of love for them on here.

with the necks, yes the 50s ones are often called Baseball Bat type necks as they are so chunky.. I have a 60s tribute which is exactly the same thing but with a slimmer tappered neck which is much better for me personally.. So id say try both if you can find a 60s one..

I have this vid of me playing my 60s tribute Goldtop at an old church (natural reverb heaven ;)) check out the monster sound with such a small amp :).. (you may want to move it to about 4 mins in where I turn the gain up)

I have a '50's Trib P-90 Honeyburst. I LOVE that baseball bat neck, and I think this Studio is the equal of any Les Paul I have ever played...and I have owned several Customs from the late '60's and early '70's for comparison. I know a lot of Studio owners who really lover their guitars, and I really like the looks of the Tributes.

If you really like it, I'd buy it-they are limited to one year of production.

mark

For a short time, I had both, a '50's Tribute (Gold Top) and '60's Tribute Gold Top.

The '50's Tribute did have a somewhat thicker neck, but...to be honest, it wasn't all

that different, to my slimmer '60's neck. I traded the '50's off, on my Gold Top

Classic Custom, but it was not because I didn't like the '50's Tribute...I just saw the

Classic Custom, and HAD to have it! I just felt (then) that I didn't need both Tribute

models, as they were near identical.

Currently own:

'60's Tribute Gold Top with Stock P-90 pickups (I did have it modded, to '50's wiring, and "Orange Drop" caps, though.)

DSC_0044-1.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

Classic Custom Gold Top...w/ Stock Classic '57(neck) & 57+(bridge) pickups.

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Both, are awesome guitars, in their own right! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Thanks guys and great videos. My biggest concern is how sturdy is the big neck. Not as if it's going to break, but how sensitive is it to grip? My tele is really sensitive and seems to act like a tremolo bar if u know what I mean. It drives me nuts because I'm always thinking its out of tune. It seems the slightest pressure on the neck is enough to change pitch of the strings. I'm hoping the ball bat neck is sturdier and not near as sensitive to the touch

I've got 3 50's Tribute Studio Les Paul's (check my signature, never got around to selling off the second Gold Top, still new in box). If you've decided on the 50's (good choice IMO), then you just have to decide whether to search for the Humbucker model or the P 90's (mine are all P 90's). And you mentioned vintage sunburst, there were two offered, Honeyburst and Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

Here's a few pics of my Honeyburst and one of the Gold Tops...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I absolutely love mine: it's the best guitar I've ever owned. I know that the 490R/498T pickups get a lot of negative feedback at times, but I simply love their tonal range and sound. And the '50s neck feels better to me than the thinner necks...makes playing barre chords easier, imo.

Good luck with whichever model you choose! :)

Thanks guys and great videos. My biggest concern is how sturdy is the big neck. Not as if it's going to break, but how sensitive is it to grip? My tele is really sensitive and seems to act like a tremolo bar if u know what I mean. It drives me nuts because I'm always thinking its out of tune. It seems the slightest pressure on the neck is enough to change pitch of the strings. I'm hoping the ball bat neck is sturdier and not near as sensitive to the touch

I think I have the same problem as you. I have a heavy grip and over press the string. This in turn makes the note or chord sound out of tune. This happens mostly at the first three frets. An A chord is the worse for me if I use three fingers to form it instead of one to barre it. I kind of doubt you're actually bending the neck. I actually find my Tele to be less affected by my grip than my LP. I would spend a lot of time playing different guitars before I bought another, if I were you. You might find jumbo frets help, if you don't try to grind the string into the fretboard. I find that as I force myself to lighten my grip, my ability to slide across the frets improves.

I totally understand what you guys mean about pressing on the strings too hard. But it seems that simply sitting down and putting my arm around it is enough to squeeze it out of tune. I dunno if it's my body weight or the weight of my arm. It's just way too touchy for me. A common thing I get for a solution is to play standing up. Well, I don't want to play standing up lol. If its so touchy that I can't sit down and put my arm around it without it bending out of tune I don't need it. I'm definitely gonna give the 50s tribute a try as soon as the tele sells on craigslist

JB, I know exactly what your talking about, I started out with acoustic guitar and have a sort of heavy hand with my electrics. I also have a couple older Guilds which have rather thin necks, when in the first couple fret positions the weight of the guitar it self will change the pitch of the strings. I recently bought a 1991 Les Paul Studio which I really like. I have no such problem with the neck flexing and changing the pitch of the strings.

thanks john

JB, I know exactly what your talking about, I started out with acoustic guitar and have a sort of heavy hand with my electrics. I also have a couple older Guilds which have rather thin necks, when in the first couple fret positions the weight of the guitar it self will change the pitch of the strings. I recently bought a 1991 Les Paul Studio which I really like. I have no such problem with the neck flexing and changing the pitch of the strings.

thanks john

Thank you. That's what I was hoping to hear. I never recall having a problem with the neibors I tried a few years ago either. Now the agonizing wait for the tele to sell. I won't go look at guitars without the money in my pocket. Hate to be wowed by something I can't buy on the spot :)

JR, I sadly don't have one of these (now all but sold out) Les Pauls, but my electric supposedly has a 1959 Les Paul neck. The profile is very similar to that on my Woody Guthrie, with the main difference being in nut width. Swapping between the two guitars requires adjustment for string spacing and right arm position, but the necks really are very similar. So I reckon a '50s tribute would be a good way to go if you can still find one. Excellent price for something with a fatter neck, I'd say.

Your main issue will be scale-length change, I reckon. The reason some blues players like J45s is that the shorter scale makes string bending easier than you're used to. Less tension. So a heavy touch will make the strings wobble on a shorter scale instrument more than on a long scale one. Not sure why your 25.5 Tele is so affected, but perhaps string gauge is an issue. Which brings me on to my main tip. If the strings are very mobile on the LP, consider slapping 11s on them, with a wound G string. That will give you a little bit more resistance when moving over from the AJ. Also a bit more sustain and power from the LP in all likelihood. There should be no need for a truss-rod adjustment at this level. If you go up to 12s or 13s, you might need one. You might want to try heavier strings on the Tele too, before you shift it, though it sounds as though the slim neck profile is just rubbing you up the wrong way before you even touch the strings, so perhaps you need a bigger neck before you start experimenting with strings.

I believe that Rambler has been known to draw a parallel between LPs in the electric world and rosewood jumbos in the acoustic world, so I think you are looking at a good electric pair for your acoustic. If you can't get a 1950s tribute, check out one of the 2007-2011 Melody Makers. Super cheap, but they have a 1959 LP neck profile and real rosewood on the fingerboard. Also some single-coil twang and cut to remind you of what you liked in the Tele.

Of course in terms of real fragility the hog necks on the Gibsons are much less safe against breakage than the Fender's maple, but then you know that!

Thanks for all the great advice yall. Once again I will uphold my opinion that the Gibson forums have the nicest and most gracious people of any other guitar forum.

I have found a few in stock at musicians friend. I am considering ordering because I'm afraid that will by my only option. The local and Nashville dealers don't seem to stock any. Play before you play I know. But I'm willing to take a gamble and I can always return. I can order from Nashville Retailer and return to store if I wish.

No calls on the tele yet. It's a 2008 American standard in natural finish. Sells for $1249 new. Mine is absolute mint condition other than some pick guard scratches. I'd be willing to bet its had less play time than a new one hanging at GC. because of its great condition I've priced it at $800. Am I being unreasonable in price?? I think it's fair but maybe it's overpriced hence the no calls. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the great advice yall. Once again I will uphold my opinion that the Gibson forums have the nicest and most gracious people of any other guitar forum.

I have found a few in stock at musicians friend. I am considering ordering because I'm afraid that will by my only option. The local and Nashville dealers don't seem to stock any. Play before you play I know. But I'm willing to take a gamble and I can always return. I can order from Nashville Retailer and return to store if I wish.

No calls on the tele yet. It's a 2008 American standard in natural finish. Sells for $1249 new. Mine is absolute mint condition other than some pick guard scratches. I'd be willing to bet its had less play time than a new one hanging at GC. because of its great condition I've priced it at $800. Am I being unreasonable in price?? I think it's fair but maybe it's overpriced hence the no calls. Any thoughts?

FWIW, that guitar lists at $1149 at GC. If you're listing on Craigs List, I have no frame of reference for how quickly it might be expected to sell, but obviously the market is much smaller than say eBay (which has lots of fees involved in selling). It might sell right away, or it might take considerable time. The cheaper it is, obviously the quicker it is likely to sell. I'd probably drop it just a bit so that the price begins with a 7 to start with ($780 ?). Might be enough psychological advantage to generate just a bit more interest.

I'm interesed in the cause of these tuning changes. A neck flexing too much is a fault on any guitar but (and I'm no wood expert) I would have thought it would be more likely with a softer mahogany neck than a hard maple neck.

However, the talk of the first few fret positions makes me wonder if this is really a nut height problem on the tele. If the nut is too high then you will get tuning problems if you depress the frets with anything other than with light pressure. All electrics should be set up to suit the player and Gibsons are always sent out with a deliberately tall nut to allow for this adjustment to be made. The solution is to remove the nut (score along the lacquer first to avoid chipping the finish and then knock it out gently) and then carefully and evenly file away some depth from its underside. Don't over-do it. Better to do it gradually until the correct height for you is reached. When you've got that a drop of diluted PVA wood glue will hold it in place.

All this aside, you should really try to play with less pressure on electric guitars because the frets will very soon become indented by the strings with open chord play- especially 2nd fret G string.

Archived