Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 355

lengle1981

Has anybody seen one of these in their local store? I'm wanting to buy one today but can't find one online anywhere in the UK. Tried dawsons, GAK, digital village, andertons and coda. I may be swayed by the cherry also. Let me know if you've spotted one!

No worries after calling around for a few hours I've managed to get hold of one. I was told that apparently the black and white 335 is being discontinued and only the cherry will remain.

Anyway I'm chuffed about the new guitar, should be with me in a few days and I'll be sure to put up some pics for you guys!

No worries after calling around for a few hours I've managed to get hold of one. I was told that apparently the black and white 335 is being discontinued and only the cherry will remain.

Anyway I'm chuffed about the new guitar, should be with me in a few days and I'll be sure to put up some pics for you guys!

Who told you that?? That doesn't seem right, to me....they haven't been out long enough,

to even get to some of the (smaller) dealer's, yet. Why would they dicontinue something

that's so new? [confused]:-k

All colors, for both ES-345 and ES-355 still listed, on Gibson's web site.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Epiphone/Ltd-Edition-ES-355.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Epiphone/Ltd-Edition-ES-345.aspx

CB

• 1 month later...

I tried one in Guitar Center in Pasadena at the weekend. It was black and already had the tortoise pick guard attached. Unfortunately it was in bad shape, 2 of the knobs were falling off and the bigsby appeared a bad one in that the strings wouldn't stay in tune even when just finger bending a string. The guy said "these days it's common the knobs to be falling off epiphones when they arrive here and he'd tighten them up if i decided to buy". Dunno exactly what he meant by that statement.

I have not seen knobs falling off any of the Epiphones I have played or purchased. In any case it's a simple fix to spread the split shaft on the pot a little bit so the knob fits tight, and would not deter me at all from buying a particular guitar if I liked everything else.

As for the tuning stability, I doubt it's the Bigsby. It is almost always the nut. In most cases the slots are a little too tight and the strings bind in the slot. It is very common and can usually be fixed with a little sanding/filing to widen the slots, plus a little lubricant (graphite, nut sauce, chapstick, etc.). Sometimes just the lubricant will do the trick. It could also be the bridge, though I haven't personally had much trouble with the Tuno-o-matic bridges causing tuning stability issues (rattling, yes). I have owned 3 guitars with import Bigsbys, including a new Epiphone 355, and the Bigsbys all functioned very well.

I have not seen knobs falling off any of the Epiphones I have played or purchased. In any case it's a simple fix to spread the split shaft on the pot a little bit so the knob fits tight, and would not deter me at all from buying a particular guitar if I liked everything else.

As for the tuning stability, I doubt it's the Bigsby. It is almost always the nut. In most cases the slots are a little too tight and the strings bind in the slot. It is very common and can usually be fixed with a little sanding/filing to widen the slots, plus a little lubricant (graphite, nut sauce, chapstick, etc.). Sometimes just the lubricant will do the trick. It could also be the bridge, though I haven't personally had much trouble with the Tuno-o-matic bridges causing tuning stability issues (rattling, yes). I have owned 3 guitars with import Bigsbys, including a new Epiphone 355, and the Bigsbys all functioned very well.

+1. As an owner of many Epi's, I agree with all of what he wrote.

Archived