Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone ever tried one of these?

Kelvinator

Radial Engineering has this direct box that takes your signal from the speaker out, so you're sending the sound of your amp to the FOH. I'm thinking about getting one to use with my Traynor Custom Special. My other amps have all had line-outs, so I never had to use a direct box. This will actually capture the sound of those sweet vintage tubes and send it to the soundman - so he can screw it up from there! [cursing]

Anyway - I think this looks like a good toy to have, and it eliminates a lot of problems that can come from miking a cab. [thumbup]

http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdx.php

the diagram for bass on the website showed the di box and the amp being mic'ed at the same time?

You can do that for a fatter sound, but you need a phaser in the mix to synchronize the 2 feeds - The Radial video explains the process. I'd just go with the JDX. Since I've been using the Traynor we've been miking the cab; sometimes it sounds good, and sometimes not - too many variables involved for local bar work IMHO.

You can do that for a fatter sound, but you need a phaser in the mix to synchronize the 2 feeds - The Radial video explains the process. I'd just go with the JDX. Since I've been using the Traynor we've been miking the cab; sometimes it sounds good, and sometimes not - too many variables involved for local bar work IMHO.

Radial makes high quality gear.

well the diagram doesn't show a phazer in the mix, just the JDX going into the cab and mixing board and a mic on a seperate input on the board.

Rd - open the link, and in the left margin of the screen about half way down you'll see a box called "Radial TV". Click on that and watch the video (very informative) - At about 5:00 minutes, the engineer explains the reason for the phazer if you decide to use both the JDX and a mic. I don't think the phazer is shown on any other diagrams. According to the video, you don't need to mic the cab to get a great sound.

http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdx.php

• 1 month later...

After having the opportunity to use the JDX with a FOH system, I thought I'd share my opinion with you guys. It is simply amazing! The sound from the PA is exactly what I'm hearing from my amp - and with little or no tweaking.

A sound engineer friend borrowed the JDX to use while recording a young band this weekend. The lead guitarist has a thin/brittle sounding head that gets worse with a mic in front of it; the JDX was used used on the amp with great success, as it thickened up the sound nicely. Board tweaking was definitely needed with that amp, but the end result was very good - something that just wasn't possible using a mic. BTW: the engineer is ordering a JDX!

So - any of you who love the sound of your amp and want the same sound out front or in the studio, the JDX is the way to go. It does everything Radial says it will. I'm very very pleased with it.

Thanks for the review Kelvinator!! I've been interested in picking one up as well, and now I believe you have me convinced!!

It's so good, it would actually be hard for most soundmen to screw up! 4_11_7.gif A lot of us have tried for years to get that "perfect sound" on stage, and once you do it's heaven. Then what happens? - you send it to someone that may have a different idea of what your sound should be and many times that's not a good thing. With this JDX just set your PA channel flat, and with little or no tweaking it's pretty easy to get your sound out front.

This is soooo much better than than plugging into a direct box or even the line out on your amp. This captures the sound of the preamp & power sections of your amp, and does it beautifully. Best $200.00 I've spent in a long time [thumbup]

Archived