Gibson Brands Forums

Music Unchains Minds.

Searcy

My wife is an RN, and has worked at our local nursing home for over 25yrs. She has shared similar stories with me about some of her residents. She says that it always makes her feel good when a wall comes down, even for a little while. Thanks Searcy, for posting such a heartwarming vid. [thumbup] I will share this with her tonight.

TC

Sweet video. I've played a lot of nursing homes, as I'm sure others here have done, and this video could have been made in any nursing home where "live" music is performed. Even Alzheimers patients can respond to music. If it's "live" music, the patient not only hears the music, but can also focus on the singer. Really a cool feeling to perform in these places.

The old adage about "music is the universal language" is very true. It's a way to communicate with folks who are otherwise unreachable. [thumbup]

I talked to a man at a nursing home whom the nurses said would sing the blues out of the blue (no pun...). What I heard come out of this man's voice was a lesson in real heart, pain, life, and joy. It was as if a portion of his life flashed in front of me. There was so much history there, and he was somebody. Truly a forgotten group. Need to start going back.

I've had a number of friends who've seen similar things in nursing homes - from totally unresponsive to head up and clapping hands.

I wonder if anybody's done the research to see where music might be "stored" in one's brain - and how perhaps it's among the last to atrophy from the assault of age and decline.

m

Archived