Gibson Brands Forums

Mediocre '90's band vs. SSN 888-88-88888 (John's and Paul's combined)

J.R.M.30!

In terms of songwriting I give the edge to Vertical Horizon (quality over quantity) besting yes the Beatles Corp. Now the best of the best songwriters starting from recent; Adele great lyricist, Lada Gaga, the late Amy Winehouse, Sheryl Crow, Jewel, T.L.C., Shania Twain, Fionna Apple, Ani Defranco, Madonna, Cher (not Sonny), Carole King, Roberta Flack, Joni Mitchell, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and on and on and on and on. All could hold a tune as well. Please feel free to add any.

Even the rapper Coolio wrote better, thoughtful, and sensical songs than the Beatles. "Obla Di Obla" duh!

Sorry Charlie Brown but it's true! [confused]

Well, he named ALL Women (except Coolio, I think we'll just say that one didn't count...). Maybe he's "maleaphobic"?

BTW, Dylan, Springsteen, and tons of others could easily have rounded out his list. But I digress, clearly the subject of the Trolli....er, thread, was the Beatles. They still reign supreme IMO as one of if not the greatest R&R band of all time, and songwriting was a big part of that. It's not so much the meaning in the lyrics, but how "lyrical" they are. But if you want deeper content, simply name some of the dozens of others he left out (While My Guitar Gently Weeps comes to mind ;)).

Well, he named ALL Women (except Coolio, I think we'll just say that one didn't count...). Maybe he's "maleaphobic"?

Even Sir Paul McCartney claims that the Beatles songs aren't about anything. If you don't know what the song is about then it's that much more disconnected from your outlook on it. Lyrical there dead too as they print them inside the CD cover. George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a great song with a great guitar solo too.

I yeah I forgot Sir Elton John. \:D/

The Beatles were some of the best songwriters who ever lived. But I think George Harrison's lyrical work is very underrated. You can't beat a song like My Sweet Lord or Something.

But if lyrical meaning meant something then Neil Peart would be the king in my musical freezer.

And in rock n' roll, lyrics don't have to mean anything. Most Stones, Zeppelin, KISS, AC/DC, and Van Halen songs don't mean anything special, but they are some damn good lyrics.

Going back to Mr. Peart, a song like The Trees should be very relevant to society.......

In terms of songwriting I give the edge to Vertical Horizon (quality over quantity) besting yes the Beatles Corp. Now the best of the best songwriters starting from recent; Adele great lyricist, Lada Gaga, the late Amy Winehouse, Sheryl Crow, Jewel, T.L.C., Shania Twain, Fionna Apple, Ani Defranco, Madonna, Cher (not Sonny), Carole King, Roberta Flack, Joni Mitchell, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and on and on and on and on. All could hold a tune as well. Please feel free to add any.

Even the rapper Coolio wrote better, thoughtful, and sensical songs than the Beatles. "Obla Di Obla" duh!

Sorry Charlie Brown but it's true! [confused]

Were your 78 other post this stupid or have you just been dumbing down since your initial registration? eusa_think.gif

First of all George Harrison's song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" does not make sense to me. Why is his guitar weeping? Because the floor needs swepted. Is there a hidden metaphor in there some where. All of the best songwriters listed sing lyrics that mean something, go into detail, than close. What did the Beatles write about oh yes "Love" to general if you ask me and tells nothing of the human condition.

First of all George Harrison's song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" does not make sense to me. Why is his guitar weeping? Because the floor needs swepted. Is there a hidden metaphor in there some where. All of the best songwriters listed sing lyrics that mean something, go into detail, than close. What did the Beatles write about oh yes "Love" to general if you ask me.

Yep. Metaphor is hidden really deep.... (LOL).

Okay, you want lyrics that mean what they say (in a literal sense)? Here's one from Lennon... "Why don't we do it in the road".

I guess I've fed the troll already, purely unintentional. I am done here.

Again too simple a subject, when you analyze it what is "it", is "it" really it, is "it" getting run over abeit his own poor mother, ending in that's all folks, a double suicide deal, hope not, can't imagine that, won't think that. Anyway, seems like the Beatles songs where kind of like Seinfeld before there was a Seinfeld, about nothing, only they weren't as funny period.

J.R.M.30!....You are certainly entitled, to your own opinion. :rolleyes:[thumbup][biggrin]

And, starting a thread, about The Beatles, is a guarantee, that you'll get wide

and varied responses. Trashing them, is about as much fun, as someone can have,

legally, who's of that particular mind set.

However, those who do (you included), will never change my mind, or anyone else's

that loves The Beatles, as to their particular "worth," and accomplishments, song

writing, or otherwise. It's just an exercise, in futility, in that regard. It's

just a way to try to get a "rise," out of us. But, it does produce some interesting

fodder/responses. [biggrin]

Have Fun!

Cheers,

CB

Archived