Gibson Brands Forums

Just got a new SG Standard! wooohooo!

Maple

Hello all, really excited about it. it was a toss up between the new limited one with baked maple or the regular rosewood. i ended up getting a standard with rosewood and a cherry finish. honestly the baked maple wasn't bad at all. in a blind test i probably couldn't tell which was which. any the one i got just felt right.

so far the guitar sound great! nothing else sounds like an SG.

now.. what are the thoughts on the stock pops? they sounds good to me, but i do like the 57's in my LP. wondering if i would benefit from a 57+ in the bridge?

cheers Chris

Hello all, really excited about it. it was a toss up between the new limited one with baked maple or the regular rosewood. i ended up getting a standard with rosewood and a cherry finish. honestly the baked maple wasn't bad at all. in a blind test i probably couldn't tell which was which. any the one i got just felt right.

so far the guitar sound great! nothing else sounds like an SG.

now.. what are the thoughts on the stock pops? they sounds good to me, but i do like the 57's in my LP. wondering if i would benefit from a 57+ in the bridge?

cheers Chris

Congrats, how about some picks.

I prefer the 57 classic, but there's nothin' wrong with the 490-498 combo

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

ya was just wondering what everyone thinks about the stock pick ups. so far i do like them... so no need to change them yet :)

I like the stock p/us. Give them some time, they are perfect for the guitar.

D

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

ya was just wondering what everyone thinks about the stock pick ups. so far i do like them... so no need to change them yet :)

Maple, I have a 2011 Heritage Cherry SG Standard with the 490R and 498T stock pickups and I like it just the way it is. I also have a Gibson CS-336 with the '57 Classic pickups. Yeh, they have

a different sound than the stock p'ups in the SG Standard, but if you want '57s then you should have gone with the Gibson '61 Reissue SG.

First, Congratulations on the new SG Standard!!!! Looking forward to some pics!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I love mine, it's simply the easiest playing guitar there is.

Regarding the pickups here's something to consider, IMHO, I would leave the 490/498 in for now. Get used to the guitar and it's sound/tone for awhile before you go making changes, you may grow to really like them too. If you have another guitar with the 57's, then your SG can give you a little more edge/snarl when you need it.

I've got the 57's in my LP Classic Custom, and I know and understand you appreciation for them. However, it's nice to have another excellent guitar in my SG Standard that can give me a different sound/tone. :)

First, Congratulations on the new SG Standard!!!! Looking forward to some pics!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I love mine, it's simply the easiest playing guitar there is.

Regarding the pickups here's something to consider, IMHO, I would leave the 490/498 in for now. Get used to the guitar and it's sound/tone for awhile before you go making changes, you may grow to really like them too. If you have another guitar with the 57's, then your SG can give you a little more edge/snarl when you need it.

I've got the 57's in my LP Classic Custom, and I know and understand you appreciation for them. However, it's nice to have another excellent guitar in my SG Standard that can give me a different sound/tone. :)

I agree.[thumbup]

Thanks all! [biggrin]

just to clarify... i looked a couple baked maple's but i ended up with rosewood and a cherry finish.

i had a 61 RI satin finish a few years ago. it was a limited run. the pick ups were good, but i found the neck too slim. the neck on the standard is amazing!

so far a really like the pick ups and do not plan on changing them.

i found a Tiny Terror head used for $300 and with the SG it's totally 70's AC/DC. [thumbup]

sorry about no pics yet. i will get some up here this Sunday!

Good news!! thinking about a new SG standard myself, so I'm sort of curious about who SG owners are warming up to the baked maple.

Would prefer rosewood, but having said that, I know nothing about the baked maple. Anyway have fun breaking in the new SG, SGs ROCK!

Good news!! thinking about a new SG standard myself, so I'm sort of curious about who SG owners are warming up to the baked maple.

Would prefer rosewood, but having said that, I know nothing about the baked maple. Anyway have fun breaking in the new SG, SGs ROCK!

I have the baked maple on my Les Paul Classic Custom, and it I love it. It's excellent!!!

Gonna have to find one to try. Looks like Rosewood could be getting harder to find as time goes on.

If you like or prefer the density and feel of ebony then you'll love the new baked maple. It's very dense, very smooth, and fast to play. Maple can give a slightly brighter tone with all other specs being the same compared to rosewood. However, without a duplicate guitar to compare it to and listening very closely you will likely not notice a difference in tone.

Definitely try one, I don't think I would be going out on a limb by predicting that you'll love it.

If you like or prefer the density and feel of ebony then you'll love the new baked maple. It's very dense, very smooth, and fast to play. Maple can give a slightly brighter tone with all other specs being the same compared to rosewood. However, without a duplicate guitar to compare it to and listening very closely you will likely not notice a difference in tone.

Definitely try one, I don't think I would be going out on a limb by predicting that you'll love it.

Definitely! thx for the heads up. Don't mind ebony at all I have an Elitist Chet Atkins (Country Gent) with an ebony neck, and also quite ok and used to maple from many years of owning fenders.

I'm having a New Guitar Day myself today!

Got myself a cream SG Std Ltd with the baked maple fretboard. Haven't tried it with my amps yet but DAMN it's a sexy looking beast. Like always I was worried about the Gibson QC since I ordered the guitar without having seen it or played it. Luckily it is damn near cosmetically flawless and the factory setup and action couldn't be better. My LP Trad Pro was ordered online aswell and it had a few minor flaws on delivery.

The baked maple fretboard feels amazing and looks the part too. Feels like my other SG (Special w/f) which has an ebony board. The baked maple board actually looks better than the rosewood board on my LP IMHO. What I love about the baked maple board is how smooth it is. It really makes bending a breeze.

I'll check in later to tell you my thoughts on the differences between my SG Special w/f and my new Beast. I have a feeling I won't regret anything,

I'm having a New Guitar Day myself today!

Got myself a cream SG Std Ltd with the baked maple fretboard. Haven't tried it with my amps yet but DAMN it's a sexy looking beast. Like always I was worried about the Gibson QC since I ordered the guitar without having seen it or played it. Luckily it is damn near cosmetically flawless and the factory setup and action couldn't be better. My LP Trad Pro was ordered online aswell and it had a few minor flaws on delivery.

The baked maple fretboard feels amazing and looks the part too. Feels like my other SG (Special w/f) which has an ebony board. The baked maple board actually looks better than the rosewood board on my LP IMHO. What I love about the baked maple board is how smooth it is. It really makes bending a breeze.

I'll check in later to tell you my thoughts on the differences between my SG Special w/f and my new Beast. I have a feeling I won't regret anything,

Congratulations!!! You got to post some pics or it did not happen... :) ;) [lol]

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my cream SG Std Ltd for about a month now.

Tone-wise it's a bit brighter than my w/f SG Special to my ears, I don't know if it's because of the 498T and the maple fretboard or either of the two. I believe there's more string separation on the Std Ltd. Less mud. So far I've played the Std Ltd thru an Orange AD30 head and my vintage '64 Selmer Treble n Bass 50 head (a truly amazing amp!). It plays great and it's a bit lighter than my w/f. The baked maple fretboard is amazing, it's at least as comfortable as the rosewood fb on my Trad Pro Les Paul.

I thought the whole "limited" thang was a hoax to sell more guitars. To my surprise the cream version has been out of stock for a while both in Europe (thomann.de etc) and in the US (sweetwater.com etc). And while I did buy my guitar recently it was made in 2011. I'm glad I got the last one available from thomann.de. I haven't checked back in a while to find out if they're back in stock.

Pretty soon I'll put in a pair of Duncan Phat Cats (P90s in humbucker format) in my w/f Special. I'm hoping that will take away the slight muddiness of the 490R/490T and make it sound way better with my Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 or an all-germanium fuzz.

All in all I'm very happy with my Std Ltd. It is as playable as it is beautiful. Get one if you're considering it and if they're still available.

No pics as of now, you'll just have to believe me [cool]

Archived