Gibson Brands Forums

Effects chain question

T Bone

Like the sub title says, should I be placing the delay or the reverb at the end of the chain?

Also, a vibe unit (seems to be "modulatiion", which I thought goes somewhere in the middle), I've seen demos where they are placing overdrive pedals after the vibe units, but from everything I've found do far, the Overdrive should be right after the tuner (and maybe a wah), and before other distortion units, with modulation devices (vibe etc.) being after them.

Thoughts?

Generally I place delay at the end, but I've never used both a delay and a reverb pedal. I've had issues with vibe pedals. Many seem to sound better before dirt pedals instead of after. You gotta try to move those around and find what works. My chain now has Wah first, vibe second, all the dirt pedals next, and delay last. I'm still trying to find out where to put a new chorus that I built.

Like Surfpup,I never use delay and reverb at the same time but if I had to put them in order I'd put the reverb last though because that's usually built into a lot of amps anyway.

For overall pedal placement I always put overdrive/distortion first followed by wah,then volume,then modulation pedals such as tremolo,vibrato,phaser,flanger etc.,then my echo and reverb.A lot of people put the wah before the distortion/overdrive pedals but I have found after years of trial and error that you get a more defined wah effect if you run it after distortion/overdrive pedals.

Very interesting.

I am assembling my 'new improved' pedalboard at the moment so have asked myself similar questions.

Spring reverb in 2 of my amps - must have it, even if I never turn it above about 3 - I'm now convinced (after many yrs) that spring reverb is 'the one' for guitar.

Stereo chorus at the very end of my chain, and the delay immediately before that.

I previously had 2 choruses and a flanger before the delay!

I experimented with dist units before and after the vibe pedal and am going for both.

Hope to post pics of the completed board next week, or as soon as I get it all sorted.

Very interesting.

I am assembling my 'new improved' pedalboard at the moment so have asked myself similar questions.

Spring reverb in 2 of my amps - must have it, even if I never turn it above about 3 - I'm now convinced (after many yrs) that spring reverb is 'the one' for guitar.

Stereo chorus at the very end of my chain, and the delay immediately before that.

I previously had 2 choruses and a flanger before the delay!

I experimented with dist units before and after the vibe pedal and am going for both.

Hope to post pics of the completed board next week, or as soon as I get it all sorted.

Yeah, this is my third and smallest pedal board. It's a Pedaltrain Nano, and will only fit 4, maybe 5 (if I downsize the vibe) pedals. So I'm working with that. Can probably get by without the reverb pedal anyway, as I can always take the DRRI or Blues Deluxe amps (the latter of which does have an effects loop for the Member who asked earlier).

The intention is to have an ultra portable, grab and go board I can take to open mic/jam nights etc. And the Nano fits that bill, but is only 14 x 5.5 inches. I doubt I'd go with any of the mini amps for that anyway (though the Marchall Class 5 is tempting to try). Distilled the board down to a tuner (getting the TC Polytune Mini), a TS 808 Tube Screamer (usually run this plus a TS 9 on my other two boards) and a BBE Soul Vibe (open to others, but did find a great deal on a new old stock one, came in earlier this week) and the MXR Carbon Copy. I'm going to experiment more with other pedals I have for surf, but my main genres are blues/rock anyway, and I could probably get by with amp reverb and the Carbon Copy.

Archived