Gibson Brands Forums

Admins, YouTube and Html5?

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

Is there any plans to start using YouTube's html5 embedding code in this forum? Adobe no longer support flash in mobile devices so no new mobile browsers support it. It's becoming somewhat of a PIA.

Guest farnsbarns

That'd be nice, I could actually view vids from my iPhone if they did it.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about the poor FruitPhone users, at least I only have to use a different browser on my Android handsets but Google finally got round to launching Chrome for Android but no flash due to Adobe's decision not to support any new mobile brosers as of last November. On the whole this is a good thing as long as webmasters keep up!

I've got the html5 code working in Kunena, seems to me IPBoard ought to be well ahead of me so how about it? it's nice and easy...

<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="PREFERRED" height="YOUR_PREFERRED_HEIGHT" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VIDEO_ID_HERE" frameborder="0">

</iframe>

I can still view videos on the forum from both of my Android devices (tablet and phone) without any issues. Though I do have the Chrome for Android beta on my tablet and it does not play forum videos due to the lack of flash support. It's HTML5 only with that browser. That's why I don't use it. msp_biggrin.gif

Guest farnsbarns

That's the point, it won't work in any new mobile browsers because Adobe are not making the plugins any more. Flash's use is now pretty much just ads and video anyway. Flash is finished with YouTube et al now turning to html5 and I don't want to see ads anyway. I've even developed an html5 video gallery myself. I, like everyone else, want to use the newer browsers. I can't here, which is why I asked.

Archived