Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GotTheSilver

I'm a slope shoulder addict!!!

So over the last few days I have come to the realization that I really, really am fond of slope shoulder Gibsons. I have two of them already - an Advanced Jumbo and a J-45 Legend. I realized the other day that when I list out the acoustics I would like to buy, almost all of them are slope shoulder Gibsons, including a vintage (1940s to early '50s) Southern Jumbo, a Jackson Browne, a J-45 Custom. Yes, there are others, but these are probably at the top of my list. I think I am hopelessly addicted to slope shoulders!

Any others want to share their affliction, uh, addiction, uh, admiration?

And of course, let's share some pics!

J45LgdFront.jpg

J45LgdHead.jpg

AJFull2.jpg

AJTop1.jpg

Gotta admit that it's hard to beat a Gibson slope jumbo. I'm seriously thinking of picking up a J-45 Legend to go with my "real" J-45 "legend". I have a slope jumbo thing as well, although I only own one right now.

Here's my old girl in 1967.....

1967.jpg

And she's still my favorite 45 years later......

thewholething.jpg

I do covet retrorod's estate sale late-40's SJ, however.......

Gotta admit that it's hard to beat a Gibson slope jumbo. I'm seriously thinking of picking up a J-45 Legend to go with my "real" J-45 "legend". I have a slope jumbo thing as well, although I only own one right now.

1967.jpg

And she's still my favorite 45 years later......

thewholething.jpg

I do covet retrorod's estate sale late-40's SJ, however.......

Nick . did it have a different logo back in 67? sure looks like it .

I enjoyed the photo . thanks =D

GottheSilver . Nice guitars . I'd like a Legend too .

JC

JC,

The original headstock logo was the standard "new" post-war block script. The current headstock design, including the logo, is based on a 30's-40's L-5 or F-4 mandolin headstock. That was done in 1970.

I only discovered my love for a round shoulder a few months ago but glad I did. The way they sit perfectly on your lap while picking a tune on the couch is wonderfull. I A big square shoulder dread can be a handful sometimes. you guys are probably going to think I'm silly, but it's like driving a old car that still has the hi/low beam switch on the floorboard, sooo convenient without loss of function

To the OP, great looking geetars' [thumbup] I have a real soft spot for the Advanced Jumbo. There what finally opened my eyes to Gibson roundies. Gotta love em'

Since I have been playing slope shoulder Gibsons for 50 years now I guess I have to finally face the fact that perhaps I am addicted to them - particualrly those made before 1960.

Well....They 'somewhat-sloped'//// [confused]

Nice pic!

On the 'somewhat-sloped', how do your LG3 and CF100e compare sound and playing wise, RRod?

BluesKing777.

Hey Nick, I have seen the modern pic of your J-45 many times, but this is the first time I have seen it in its original state. Beautiful guitar, either way! It is awesome to know you have enjoyed this one guitar for so long. I really hope that I can say that about a few of my guitars some day, before I hand them down to my kids!

1967.jpg

Beautiful gits, jannusguy! If I am lucky enough to acquire all of the guitars on my wish list some day, I would have a nice collection like this. Then again, I'm sure there will always be something new on my wish list! [biggrin]

I seem to recall that you sold the 12 fret SJ after you go the Jackson Browne. I'm sure the SJ was a great guitar in its own right. I would love to play one some day. I have played one JB, however, and it absolutely blew me away!

3 of these have moved on. The 12 fret SJ, the J45TV and the J185TV. The others are still here.

DSC00829.jpg

Beautiful gits, jannusguy! If I am lucky enough to acquire all of the guitars on my wish list some day, I would have a nice collection like this. Then again, I'm sure there will always be something new on my wish list! [biggrin]

I seem to recall that you sold the 12 fret SJ after you go the Jackson Browne. I'm sure the SJ was a great guitar in its own right. I would love to play one some day. I have played one JB, however, and it absolutely blew me away!

Actually, the 12 fret SJ came after the JB proto. They coexisted quite nicely for quite awhile. After I began to explore small bodied Martins I began to shed some of the "redundancy" in the Gibsons as I only have so much room & fundage. When I receive my J200 TV in the next week or so (I hope) I will have arrived at a nice sampling of Gibsons, old and new, that I expect will keep me happy for quite some time to come. Thanks for the kind words.

Rob

So over the last few days I have come to the realization that I really, really am fond of slope shoulder Gibsons. I have two of them already - an Advanced Jumbo and a J-45 Legend. I realized the other day that when I list out the acoustics I would like to buy, almost all of them are slope shoulder Gibsons, including a vintage (1940s to early '50s) Southern Jumbo, a Jackson Browne, a J-45 Custom. Yes, there are others, but these are probably at the top of my list. I think I am hopelessly addicted to slope shoulders!

Any others want to share their affliction, uh, addiction, uh, admiration?

And of course, let's share some pics!

J45LgdFront.jpg

J45LgdHead.jpg

AJFull2.jpg

AJTop1.jpg

I would love to play that Legend of yours to see how it feels/sounds. That's a great story that you shared with me about how you came to own it. Right place, right time I'd say. Great guitars !

I know what the "Slope Fever" is all about. The other day I was starring at the shopping cart at Lowes because it's front end was shaped like a Gibson slope. I see it everywhere [biggrin]

To lower the fever, I prescribed this to me. A dose of vitamin SJ

402088301.jpg

Arrived 2 weeks ago and the fever has subsided. '43 Banner and I'm lovin' it!

willy

I know what the "Slope Fever" is all about. The other day I was starring at the shopping cart at Lowes because it's front end was shaped like a Gibson slope. I see it everywhere [biggrin]

Yes, Willy, you are truly afflicted!!!

And that's a gorgeous banner SJ! Congratulations!!! Any sound clips or videos?

New member of the choir. Arrived Monday. An '03 from Bozeman. As you all may have gathered from my posts, its been a long hunt. Could'nt get the coordinates of availability + price+ funds in focus. But here it is. A plain Jane std, but sounds and plays fine. R

j4503l2.jpg

New member of the choir. Arrived Monday. An '03 from Bozeman. As you all may have gathered from my posts, its been a long hunt. Could'nt get the coordinates of availability + price+ funds in focus. But here it is. A plain Jane std, but sounds and plays fine. R

j4503l2.jpg

Finally!

Congratulations.