Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ishfaq

WE NEED A WAY TO MANUALLY CORRECT BPM / BEAT GRID

For a unit that boasts of it's beat synced effects, beat synced auto looping, and auto sync function, the single most important thing is that THE BPM'S ARE CALCULATED CORRECTLY.

20120407-xjrqtgu1fkq8fbb61ap4a5xrfe.jpg

If they're not correct, then we get the following:

Effects aren't synced correctly

Loops don't loop correctly

Auto sync feature doesn't work correctly

Therefore, it is of UPMOST importance that we are able to MANUALLY ADJUST THE BPM (not just tap it roughly, but write it in accurately).

And once we have corrected the BPM, the BEAT GRID MUST BE RESET TO MATCH THE NEW CORRECT BPM.

So Stanton/Gibson, can we please get some feedback on what steps will be taken to allow us to do this?

An upgrade of the QuickGrid app could easily correct these issues. I'm sure most people are analyzing their tunes on a PC anyways.

Guest B-SIDE

For a unit that boasts of it's beat synced effects, beat synced auto looping, and auto sync function, the single most important thing is that THE BPM'S ARE CALCULATED CORRECTLY.

20120407-xjrqtgu1fkq8fbb61ap4a5xrfe.jpg

If they're not correct, then we get the following:

Effects aren't synced correctly

Loops don't loop correctly

Auto sync feature doesn't work correctly

Therefore, it is of UPMOST importance that we are able to MANUALLY ADJUST THE BPM (not just tap it roughly, but write it in accurately).

And once we have corrected the BPM, the BEAT GRID MUST BE RESET TO MATCH THE NEW CORRECT BPM.

So Stanton/Gibson, can we please get some feedback on what steps will be taken to allow us to do this?

An upgrade of the QuickGrid app could easily correct these issues. I'm sure most people are analyzing their tunes on a PC anyways.

Once you tap in the BPM manually & create a CUE point at the desired downbeat, then click 'EDIT BPM' and then 'Shift Grid to Cue'... Then all of your FX & LOOPS (i.e. BPM driven tools) should work properly...

Make sure you have the latest firmware version 2.1 (or greater)

Unfortunately for now there's no way to manually write in BPM.

Once you tap in the BPM manually & create a CUE point at the desired downbeat, then click 'EDIT BPM' and then 'Shift Grid to Cue'... Then all of your FX & LOOPS (i.e. BPM driven tools) should work properly...

Make sure you have the latest firmware version 2.1 (or greater)

Unfortunately for now there's no way to manually write in BPM.

This doesn't re-align the Beat Grid, and the loop lengths are set to the Beat Grid. So this doesn't work:

20120416-pdicw75u82ts69araywcm88ng4.jpg

If what you said was correct, both loop lengths shown above should be equal. I manually tapped the BPM (should be 122, but I got it to 122.04). Then hit the "Edit BPM" button and aligned the Beat Grid to my CUE point, which is on the downbeat, as you can see.

Latest firmware:

20120416-rcjg1creuxbgx29w3q7r9iidsy.jpg

btw - I might seem like I'm posting a lot of complaints, but I really love this unit, and with a few fixes to the software, for me it would be the best controller there is. I just want to get it fixed, as it's soooooo close!

Guest Professorbx

Grid shift assumes that the BPM is correct, only the transient detection is off. So, if you set a cue point (and turn off SNAP when you do it!!!!) it should work. If the BPM is initially not correct though, yes, this is a known issue. Stay tuned.

Guest Professorbx

Grid shift assumes that the BPM is correct, only the transient detection is off. So, if you set a cue point (and turn off SNAP when you do it!!!!) it should work. If the BPM is initially not correct though, yes, this is a known issue. Stay tuned.

Also Ishfaq, sorry for deleting your last post, I accidentally hit "EDIT" instead of "REPLY", so your post was replaced by my post in your name.....I need more coffee. [blush]

Ahh finally I have managed to get on this forum, for a long time I have been an observer and haven't been able to add any input. I see a lot of the issues I was having have already been addressed and hopefully this one does get fixed.

I think this part of the unit is what lets it down the most maybe a simpler version of Rekordbox would be great Id even contribute to this as long as you include some bulk volume editing like mp3gain into the software

Im sure if Stanton release the code for the program some one will write an update???? or even if you can set a cue point the with the jog wheel move the markers so they line up then save as new bmp

or use loop function to set 8,16,32 bar markers to adjust bpm and save loop bpm

So far I've lived with the mildly off beat looping and pretty-close grid/cues,

it gives a mix an earthier slightly flawed sound.

Like there is actually a DJ DJing instead of a computer program.

But yeah,

having them on beat would be even better.

:)

(I can always add my own flaws without a hardware restriction.)

I've been looking in the database that contains the calculated and tapped/dialled BPMs. They all have inaccuracies, some as small as 0.00000001 BPM and some as great as 0.2 BPM. It looks like there's never any rounding applied by the software - even when values are dialled in they're never exactly on a 1 or .5. This could be at least part of the reason.

Over the coming months I'll working on some programs to allow manipulation of BPMs at the database level. (Assuming that after testing my changes I find them to be stable.)

Any features you'd like to see?

Guest Professorbx

any updates?

Install 3.0 and up. You can dial in the BPM. It adjusts the grid. This was a request from 2.0 and before.

looking at the fw update seems you added a feature to revert back to original BPM I dont see the point in this so why not use the hold tap to actually re analyse from a cue point it could then be done to only those tracks that are out.

1:You could set a cue point from a down beat the hold the tap to reanalyse from that point

2:set a cue point use the dial to move a loop end curer then hold tap to re- analyse the loop.

3: in settings set a time limit 10 30 1 min to analyse from cue point

4: use loop in out to set analyse tempo

just some idea's

My workaround for now is: Set the pitch slider to 0% on deck A (with the INcorrect BPM)and play the song.

Now set deck B(with another song with correct BPM)in the same tempo as deck A with the pitch slider of deck B.

Read out the BPM of deck B in the display and dial the BPM numbers into deck A (edit BPM, dial in BPM)

And set deck A's Cue to NOT the firstbeat of the track but a few beats futher (the 4th or 8th downbeat)

then, again, push ''edit BPM'' choose/dial ''shift beat grid to cue'' et voila!