Gibson Brands Forums

2004 SJ 200 Vine

JuanCarlosVejar

folks check it out : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-GIBSON-SJ-200-Vine-Natural-Luxury-Acoustic-guitar-335400401-/270953637972?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f16186854

Yep, the Japanese love their Gibsons. I think I'll just hold on to my standard 2004 SJ200 which cost a fraction, rather than send more money across the Pacific. I like the look of the vine on the fretboard, say on a Dove - but this one is just way too blingy. I can't imagine there are even many rock stars who would even go for that much glitz!

JC

really beatiful!

have you seen how low is the saddle? I wonder if it has been adjusted in this way only to have an "electric-guitar feel" action, or just to make it barely playable? who knows...

with the four ribbon bridge, the strings have virtually no break angle...it's time to a neck reset?

9.jpg

I was searching on another topic when I came across this old post -

No such thing as too much bling on a stage guitar. But I'd like to shake the hand of the man, or woman, who thinks it's not enough bling! These make Taylor Swift's rhinestone-covered guitar look pretty quiet and unassuming by comparison.

On the other hand, my J-200 Royal -- called "Val", after her builder -- is a bit fancier than a J-200 Vine, and I love her just as she is. Most guitars couldn't get away with all that bling without looking tacky. But Val pulls it off with grace, aplomb, elegance, and dignity.

J-200.jpg

J-200_front.jpg

J-200_back.jpg

J-200_back_closeup.jpg

J-200_neck_closeup.jpg

C'mon! You know you want it!

-- Bob R

I was searching on another topic when I came across this old post -

Val was just out on a job last night. A much-beloved local music venue is closing, and the open mic hosted by the local acoustic music society was meeting there for the last time. A special occasion requires special guitars, so I brought Val and Anne brought the J-185 rose vine that Val's namesake built for her.

mr-and-mrs.jpg

-- Bob R

P.S. Despite her four ribbons, I think she sounded great. :)

Val was just out on a job last night. A much-beloved local music venue is closing, and the open mic hosted by the local acoustic music society was meeting there for the last time. A special occasion requires special guitars, so I brought Val and Anne brought the J-185 rose vine that Val's namesake built for her.

mr-and-mrs.jpg

-- Bob R

P.S. Despite her four ribbons, I think she sounded great. :)

Wow that is a beautigul lefty .

and Bob yours is just as stunning.

thanks for sharing .

is something going to replace the venue ?

JC

Hey Bob -

When I saw your old post I immediately remembered picking my jaw up off the floor the first time. That's one of my all time favorite J-200s. Love everything about it including the stunningly beautiful back.

I would've liked to see you guys working those two beauties. . B)

is something going to replace the venue ?

It's being worked on. However, we get 50 to 70 people on an typical night (last night was over 100), and not many places have the capacity -- seating and parking -- to deal with groups that size. Not to mention the ASCAP/BMI/SESAC licensing that we need, which cost the manager of the old venue around $1500/yr. But the same problem has come up more than once over the last 20 years, and a solution has always been found. Wish us luck!

-- Bob R

Hi Juan

Saw it as well..not that crazy about the headstock inlay.. but love the "45 plus" trim on all edges,bridge..and especially the color of the guitar as it seems in the photo.

I searched some Japanese guys on you tube playing the Vine & also the same guy playing a Brazilian Rosewood J200..but the Vine sounded not too impressive (but great looking).

Searched the store in Japan converted yen but it comes to about the same minus shipping...

So the last few days I play mine..close my eyes and imgine it looks like that Vine.

Imagine buying such a guitar & realizing the one you have is much better sounding..ecch!

Archived