Gibson Brands Forums

Need a new bridge...

SG dude

Hey guys!

I was changing strings on my SG and I noticed just how bad the bridge is, (It's full of extra notches so the original ones are unclear) so I'm going to replace it, so has anybody ever replaced their bridges?

I was looking at Schaller roller bridges a while back when I was hoping to add a lyre to my SG, but now I'm not getting the lyre. But is the Schaller roller bridge still a good option? or should I look for another non-roller type? gotoh etc?

I would just buy whatever one i see on ebay, but I want to make sure I get a good quality one that'll work as a direct replacement.

Plus I'm not sure which are measured for Epiphone, and which for Gibsons. (Just so you know, it is a Gibson SG)

Cheers guys!

Ryan.

*EDIT* I found a Gibson "Pure" Nashville TOM Chrome bridge on ebay. Am I just as well getting one of these, or is there a upgrade I may as well do since i'm replacing it anyway?

Hey guys!

I was changing strings on my SG and I noticed just how bad the bridge is, (It's full of extra notches so the original ones are unclear) so I'm going to replace it, so has anybody ever replaced their bridges?

I was looking at Schaller roller bridges a while back when I was hoping to add a lyre to my SG, but now I'm not getting the lyre. But is the Schaller roller bridge still a good option? or should I look for another non-roller type? gotoh etc?

I would just buy whatever one i see on ebay, but I want to make sure I get a good quality one that'll work as a direct replacement.

Plus I'm not sure which are measured for Epiphone, and which for Gibsons. (Just so you know, it is a Gibson SG)

Cheers guys!

Ryan.

*EDIT* I found a Gibson "Pure" Nashville TOM Chrome bridge on ebay. Am I just as well getting one of these, or is there a upgrade I may as well do since i'm replacing it anyway?

SGDude, whatever you do, make sure that the bridge you get, whether Gibson or OEM, is that it states that it ill fit a Gibson SG-Standard. I've read a lot of forum threads (both Gibson and Epiphone) where guys replaced their bridges

and you don't want to have to do any extra routing in the body to replace you bridge because it doesn't fit in the original holes in the guitar's body. Also, some replacement bridges come pre-notched and others don't. I got a Tone-Pro II

replacement bridge for my Epiphone Sheraton II a few years back (one of the guys on the forum got it for me because he knew what he was doing) and it came pre-notched. For my Gibson CS-336, there was an obvious defect in the

original bridge I had as even my guitar tech couldn't fix it. I call Gibson Customer Service and they sent me a replacement, free of charge, but it came un-notched. So when I brought it to my guitar tech, he notched it and did a complete

setup. Works perfect now.

PP_CS336, thanks so much for telling me about the notches, I realised only then that the Gibson bridge I had seen doesnt have notches!

I would NOT have had a clue what to do!

I'm leaning towards just getting the schaller roller bridge because when I do eventually get the lyre, I'll be ready to just start using it.

But I'm collecting the guitar tomorrow from the luthier I use, (he was putting in new pickups for me) So I'll ask him about the notches then.

Thanks for that!

PP_CS336, thanks so much for telling me about the notches, I realised only then that the Gibson bridge I had seen doesnt have notches!

I would NOT have had a clue what to do!

I'm leaning towards just getting the schaller roller bridge because when I do eventually get the lyre, I'll be ready to just start using it.

But I'm collecting the guitar tomorrow from the luthier I use, (he was putting in new pickups for me) So I'll ask him about the notches then.

Thanks for that!

SGdude, Much obliged. Sometimes we tend to overlook simple things like that without someone whose already had the experience can impart to us.

What's the lyre you keep mentioning (thus leaning towards the Schaller Roller Bridge). Is that some sort of vibrato arm?

I have a Schaller Roller Bridge on my SG Classic. Makes the Bigsby operation smoother. If you use the posts that come with the bridge, it is a direct drop in replacement (the posts' threads match). The Wilkinson roller bridge (super deluxe and very nice) on my SG Special required routing, but that guitar is so Frankensteined I did not care.

What's the lyre you keep mentioning (thus leaning towards the Schaller Roller Bridge). Is that some sort of vibrato arm?

Yeah, sorry, It's the Lyre Maestro Vibrola. It's also called any of those three things individually.

It's the vibrato tailpiece on this SG here,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PfHzM7Q1PmI/TzvpG9VgUII/AAAAAAAAE8E/Dpcf4VrKx3A/s1600/1968%2BGibson%2BSG%2BStandard%2B2.jpg

[smile]

I have a Schaller Roller Bridge on my SG Classic. Makes the Bigsby operation smoother. If you use the posts that come with the bridge, it is a direct drop in replacement (the posts' threads match). The Wilkinson roller bridge (super deluxe and very nice) on my SG Special required routing, but that guitar is so Frankensteined I did not care.

Ah I see. well, to be honest, that seems nice and easy enough for me. If it drops right in, all I'd have to do is intonate it.

I also really like the way it looks. Nice and big, but not crazy in a 70s sort of way. It looks like a nice alternative to the norm.

Would you be able to post any pictures of it on your guitar at all?

Ah I see. well, to be honest, that seems nice and easy enough for me. If it drops right in, all I'd have to do is intonate it.

I also really like the way it looks. Nice and big, but not crazy in a 70s sort of way. It looks like a nice alternative to the norm.

Would you be able to post any pictures of it on your guitar at all?

I'll see if i have any current pictures.

Did these

l.jpg

l.jpg

Wow, nice one! Thanks alot, I think I'll just get that one to be honest. It looks cool, and when I eventually source the Gibson engraved Lyre and fit it, it'll really prove useful!

Thanks everyone!

I STRONGLY recommend the Callaham steel ABR-1. Amazing difference.

You can get it with Schaller conversion studs, though I recommend pulling the current inserts and tapping for ABR-1 studs as the sound is better. Have a pro do it if you cannot.

Also consider drilling extra deep, and doing the "Mapleflame" mod (to be found on these forums) with extra-long stainless posts. - though you can only go a hair further down with an SG, as opposed to an LP.

Also, as others wrote, get un-notched saddles and have your tech notch them once installed. It makes a difference. (and don't let him make the notches too low!)

Archived