Gibson Brands Forums

Output diagnosis

I have a gibson les paul studio premium plus, which I acquired recently. One amp I have is pretty high gain - a randall RM with the ultra xl module. I noticed that even on highest gain setting, the guitar was just pleasantly crunchy. Plugging in my 14 yr old gibson custom, which I believe has the same pickups 498T and 490R, i got the normal face melting gain that I would expect from the Randall. The output seems even lower than my PRS Starla. I haven't checked out the pickups yet, but I looked in the cavity and the connections didn't look like they had been re-soldered, unless it had been done by a pro. The pickups had the braided lead, not a 4 connection lead, and no push-pull pots. There isn't any appreciable volume difference between the neck and bridge pickups.

Any suggestions to try before I take to a tech? I do have an ohm meter, although it seems to read higher than the values recorded on the seymour duncan website. It's possible the custom has pickups other than the 498T and 490R - i don't think they have always used those over the years, but the studio output still seems low.

It sounds like your LP studio plus is lacking some ouput? Do you notice similar difference in gain thru other amps. I could not tell you what P'ups are supposed to be in it. Out of curiosity, check the ohms of each of the guitars pickups and post the readings. Secondly, physically check and compare each guitars P'ups. They are probably different> Can't assume anything with guitars [biggrin]

It sounds like your LP studio plus is lacking some ouput? Do you notice similar difference in gain thru other amps. I could not tell you what P'ups are supposed to be in it. Out of curiosity, check the ohms of each of the guitars pickups and post the readings. Secondly, physically check and compare each guitars P'ups. They are probably different> Can't assume anything with guitars [biggrin]

Yes, it's the same on my other amp. Now I think i need a new ohmmeter, because it always reads high. I've got a JB neck which is supposed to read at about 7.5, but it reads 12 on my meter. The pickups in the studio read 12 neck and 18 bridge, which would be about 8 and 11, assuming these are reading high like the JB. If i go with that it doesnt seem like a pickup problem

Yes, it's the same on my other amp. Now I think i need a new ohmmeter, because it always reads high. I've got a JB neck which is supposed to read at about 7.5, but it reads 12 on my meter. The pickups in the studio read 12 neck and 18 bridge, which would be about 8 and 11, assuming these are reading high like the JB. If i go with that it doesnt seem like a pickup problem

The pots in your guitar will bump the reststance up so that your meter can't read really get a good reading on the pickups. I'd start with adjusting the pickup hight.

Archived