Gibson Brands Forums

White Gibsons and Staining

Enmitygauged

I have a White Gloss Les Paul Jr Exclusive Special. Ive notice over the last few months the body becoming very yellowmsp_cursing.gif. Actually it had streaks of yellow like it had been touched in places by a yellow highlighter. I couldn't get it off with the gibson High gloss polish but I managed to remove it easily enough with string cleaner. I then polished it back only to find it had yellow streaks after each gig or band prac.

Finally today I looked inside the gig bag it came with and found small strings of yellow from the gibson polish cloths that must have been left on the guitar when I put it away.

Has anyone else found the White Guitars to absorb colours. The guitar shop I bought it from warned me that back in the day Gibson had red lined cases and they turned the guitar pink.

is there anything I can do to stop this. Besides keep the bag free of lint. Like a different polish or sealer? Sorry if this has been answered before I couldn't find a thread

White nitro will absorb colors, and over time it will age to a creamy yellow anyways. Not sure if another polish will help keep it from absorbing colors, I've had my white SG for quite a while now and haven't had any issue with yellowing or absorbing colors so far.

White has notorious stain absorbing tendencies. Nitro never fully cures to contact with anything - dyes, cleaners, solvents, waxes, soft plastics, some foams, rubber, etc can effect the finish. A white guitar should have a case lined with white fabric. Also watch out for red shirts and blue jeans, especially when wet with sweat.

Cheers man,

Yeah I was just confused as to what was causing it. I knew it would yellow over time but the Yellow I had on it were small dots and lines not like a total fade. I really thought one of my kids had got to it with a highlighter dry.gif very glad it came off.

White has notorious stain absorbing tendencies. Nitro never fully cures to contact with anything - dyes, cleaners, solvents, waxes, soft plastics, some foams, rubber, etc can effect the finish. A white guitar should have a case lined with white fabric. Also watch out for red shirts and blue jeans, especially when wet with sweat.

Yeah thats what got me I usually wear a black t shirt or shirt when on stage. ( hides my fat *** ) and the back was white as the day I bought it.

Archived