Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Fallon guitar morph trick

J-1854Me

I'd learn that trick, too, if I were going to smash a guitar!

Still, you'd think the producers would have used a J-45 and that Epiphone AJ100 (presumably), as both have dot markers, so the mismatch in continuity caused by the transformation in inlay shape would be a little less noticeable. It would also have been cheaper.

My GUESS is that the producers made a deal with Jimmy prior to shooting that he could keep the guitar used in the shoot, and he asked for the SJ (we know he is a Gibson nut). No similarly shaped Epiphone has the same inlay style as the SJ, but they reasoned few would notice, especially with an adorable baby in the picture. Those who did notice would talk about the ad, like us, producing more impressions for their client. Bonus advertising effectiveness for Capital One!

Red 333

I'd learn that trick, too, if I were going to smash a guitar!

Still, you'd think the producers would have used a J-45 and that Epiphone AJ100 (presumably), as both have dot markers, so the mismatch in continuity caused by the transformation in inlay shape would be a little less noticeable. It would also have been cheaper.

My GUESS is that the producers made a deal with Jimmy prior to shooting that he could keep the guitar used in the shoot, and he asked for the SJ (we know he is a Gibson nut). No similarly shaped Epiphone has the same inlay style as the SJ, but they reasoned few would notice, especially with an adorable baby in the picture. Those who did notice would talk about the ad, like us, producing more impressions for their client. Bonus advertising effectiveness for Capital One!

Red 333

There was a baby in that commercial??

Archived