Gibson Brands Forums

Recording Covers

fretplay

I seem to have fallen foul with a member by posting a recording of a cover on this forum of a, hallowed singer/songwriter, because, I think, my version was 'not as the original'.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. I currently have a Dylan cover on You Tube that has had close to a 1000 hits but some You Tubers seem to think it is 'not as the original' Yes it is true that on my version there is not a keyboard player, the vocal does not sound like Dylan it is in a different key and there is an instrumental break where there is not in the Dylan version.

I do understand how Dylan felt at The Free Trade Hall In Manchester when he went electric, so if you are reading this Bob! But seriously everyone does covers, listen to the Beatles/Stones covers of Buddy Holly. The Stones 'Not Fade Away' completely different from Holly's, is it not any good? Some Beatles songs have been covers thousands of times in fact I think Yesterday holds the record, are they all supposed to sound like Paul McCartney.

Listen to Adele sing 'To make you feel my love' nothing like Dylan's version.

The great thing about modern technology is that we can hear what everyone else is doing and learn or benefit from it. I do remember the days when you would hear a song on the radio, buy the book, 'at great expense' and then find that you couldn't play it. Now if you hear a song you like go on You Tube, listen to all the versions and put on your own spin, whats wrong with that! For myself, if I like a song I want to cover I don't spend too much time listening to it, I leave it in my head and give it my own handwriting.

Well that's my Friday night rant, what do you guys think?

Some note for note covers are fine, but I rather like it when there's experimenting and individual arrangements.

Don't let people who have trouble with that extinguish your experimenting with arrangements and creativity.

I think one of the great things about doing covers is doing it your own way. Rearrange it, speed it up or slow it, add or take off.

Thats what makes playing covers fun, put a bit of your own personalinty into it !

I wouldnt worry about it, enjoy.

I would not worry about it. I experieced the same thing, someone replied to one of my 'cover recordings' and was told that it aint quite there yet and suggedted a tutorial of the song for me too!?! Some folks simply have too much time on their hands.....

My 2-man setup plays covers too, with the mandate that it must not be a note-for-note version, we change keys, chords, timings, we'll even throw away the main riff for something else to ensure it's really different from the original. We've found that's what works for us, as well as having your own take on it, people sometimes remark on liking the ideas we've come up with for some songs.

1334347520[/url]' post='1177771']

I seem to have fallen foul with a member by posting a recording of a cover on this forum of a, hallowed singer/songwriter, because, I think, my version was 'not as the original'.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. I currently have a Dylan cover on You Tube that has had close to a 1000 hits but some You Tubers seem to think it is 'not as the original' Yes it is true that on my version there is not a keyboard player, the vocal does not sound like Dylan it is in a different key and there is an instrumental break where there is not in the Dylan version.

I do understand how Dylan felt at The Free Trade Hall In Manchester when he went electric, so if you are reading this Bob! But seriously everyone does covers, listen to the Beatles/Stones covers of Buddy Holly. The Stones 'Not Fade Away' completely different from Holly's, is it not any good? Some Beatles songs have been covers thousands of times in fact I think Yesterday holds the record, are they all supposed to sound like Paul McCartney.

Listen to Adele sing 'To make you feel my love' nothing like Dylan's version.

The great thing about modern technology is that we can hear what everyone else is doing and learn or benefit from it. I do remember the days when you would hear a song on the radio, buy the book, 'at great expense' and then find that you couldn't play it. Now if you hear a song you like go on You Tube, listen to all the versions and put on your own spin, whats wrong with that! For myself, if I like a song I want to cover I don't spend too much time listening to it, I leave it in my head and give it my own handwriting.

Well that's my Friday night rant, what do you guys think?

Cheers to you; I think you must be doing things just right if some people are complaining how something isn't like the conventional version they expect!

One of my heros; the late Canadian Pianist Glen Gould said; if you were going to perform/record someone else's composition; then make sure it is different than other existing versions; otherwise there was no point in doing it.

Two roads to covering a song - I took the one less travelled and that made all the difference :) (my version of Robert Frost lol)

Matt

Archived