Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else loan guitars besides me?

FenderGuy1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I borrowed an early 80s Ampeg V-7 100 watt head from a buddy when my Peavey broke down. I also used his 4x12 (not sure what brand. It had a metal grill, some kind of Celestion speakers, GT-65s I think, and a Bugs Bunny emblem on the front!). Sounded great, kinda like an old Marshall JMP/early JCM 800 but only more American sounding.

Back when I was in a band I used to let our lead player use my amps and guitars all the time. He probably used my gear more than his own. But it all depends on the person if I would lend my gear or not to them .It also depends on the "Guitar" also of course [biggrin]

Amps i'm not to worried about.

Not only do i not loan guitars,but when/if i let someone play one,it must be w/out a pick,i dont play w/ a pick so there are no pick scratches on any of my guitars.When certain distance family members come over that dont 'ask' if they can play a guitar b4 picking it up,i stash them and lock my studio.I have however, let my lead singer use one @ a gig due to his fender fail,lol fender fail,its got a ring to it. [flapper]

Fenderguy, you don't loan guitars. You borrow them. Loan implies that you give it to someone else.

As for me, I've let a few of my friends play my guitars, but only ones who know what they were doing. I also taught my wife a few chords. My father (who was very critical of me when I bought my first guitar) bought himself one 5 years ago and doesn't play it, so I was happy to tell him that my wife knew more chords than him.

Other than that, I haven't given anyone one of my guitars, except a former bandmate of mine. A few guitars have changed hands between us over the years, in particular, one beautiful goldtop with P90's which he sold to me to finance some travels. I later sold it back to him to finance my travels. Still want it back.

I remember a few years ago, I was playing a gig. One of the bands on the same bill as us had played on the same bill as us several times. The band were okay, but their guitarist was an arrogant sod. Which was ironic, because he could barely play. Anyway, midway through their set (we were on next), I was having a beer and was standing up front watching them. The guitarist broke a string and didn't have another guitar. He started shouting at me "give me your guitar". If I hadn't hated this guy, I might have helped him out, but I said no. He was furious. He had to play the rest of the gig with a string missing and severe tuning issues as a result.

The promoter came up to me and asked me why I didn't give him my guitar. I told the promoter that my guitars were expensive and that he treated his guitars very badly... Which is true.

After his gig, he was fuming. Especially when he realized that I had both of my les pauls there that night.

Anybody know if all those guitars belong to Nigel (Chris Guest)making all those movies he could probably afford them.If he dosent own them somebody has a nice collection or they found some nice axes for the film from a bunch of people.

I have no problem letting people play my guitars as long as I'm present and that I've been asked first. I actually loaned out my 12 string a few months ago for a couple of weeks knowing that it would be taken care of in the same manner as I would. Once loaned out my R0 to a good friend too. Had no worries with him. The only rule was that he wipe it down after playing. I swear his hands sweat glue. It came back perfect. He leaves his quality gear at my place regularly for me to play if I wish. The funny part is that he is my wife's ex husband, my playing buddy and golf buddy. Strange, but it works for us.

I will play someone elses guitar for a short time but never borrow one.

Truth be told, I have the nicest, best selection of guitars of anyone I personally know so have no reason to borrow.

Dave

I try not to... I don't want to but there is that occasion when you are with a group of musician friens and someone wants to sit in or jam and some asks you to let them use your guitar. SO not to look like a **** you do it, I hate when that happens.... ](*,)

i know i have loaned a 80s Fender, a USA Gibson (which i still have!) and they both play good so anyone else?

Hadn't noticed these on the vids you post. Are they your mother's friend's guits? Let's seem 'em. [thumbup]

Give as a long-term loan to someone I know and trust? Of course. Why not? I won't run out of things to play here.

Flight959 had a loan of one of my Lesters ('Honey', FWIW) for several months a year or so back.

In a jam / open mic night I'll always have dragged along my #1 LP (my R0) and I'll let pretty much anyone have a go. I like to hear others play my kit.

P.

Give as a long-term loan to someone I know and trust? Of course. Why not? I won't run out of things to play here.

Flight959 had a loan of one of my Lesters ('Honey', FWIW) for several months a year or so back.

In a jam / open mic night I'll let pretty much anyone have a go.

P.

I don't know how you can do that. It would make me too nervous, I'd just be waiting for them to drop it or bang it into a cymbal or something stupid like that. If I have to get a stupid scratch or ding on my guitar I want it to be my stupid scratch or ding... i.e. Oh that was the night I fell off the stage not oh that was the night smucko fell off the stage with my guitar...

Archived