Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else loan guitars besides me?

FenderGuy1

Well, the 'pretty much' was my get-out-clause.

I now know most of the folk that go to the open mic nights - there's a fairly regular set of pickers - and they're all OK. No-one gets rat-arsed and it's usually right at the end of the evening when folk start swapping-over things to try them out. And there's no raised stage so falling-off isn't an option!

Jamming-wise I only play with a few friends who I know and trust - two of whom are very regular posters here - so, again, no problems.

The R0 has acquired quite a few nicks and dings in its 17 years so if she gets a few more it won't make me lose any sleep.

P.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

99% of the time it's a no, only a handfull of people would fit into the category of loan worthy. The good side of borrowing/lending is that you get to try out new gear or stuff you wouldn't have bought if you didn't try it out first. The downside is when it turns sour and in my experience it's usually with the closest of friends, then you have to decide if what they did is worth jeopardizing a friendship over.... I've gone both ways, so as a rule I say no.

I would no sooner lend out any of my gear than Id lend out my wife,so,easy to say neither is going to happen.I learned my lesson when I loaned my Traynor MK III to some "friends",they blew the guts out of it somehow and I was stuck with about $150 in repairs when they denied responsibility.The only way now that I'd lend out gear is if they left a deposit double the value of the gear.

A big question people fail to ask when lending out gear is why they want to borrow it in the first place,if it's because they can't afford one then that means that they also can't afford to replace yours if it gets damaged or destroyed,so that means that they are shite out of luck.

I would no sooner lend out any of my gear than Id lend out my wife,so,easy to say neither is going to happen.I learned my lesson when I loaned my Traynor MK III to some "friends",they blew the guts out of it somehow and I was stuck with about $150 in repairs when they denied responsibility.The only way now that I'd lend out gear is if they left a deposit double the value of the gear.

A big question people fail to ask when lending out gear is why they want to borrow it in the first place,if it's because they can't afford one then that means that they also can't afford to replace yours if it gets damaged or destroyed,so that means that they are shite out of luck.

I'm the same way, I've always said if they can't afford to buy it do you really think they'll be able to afford to fix it.

I let an acquaintance borrow an amp for one day. And he brought it back the next day blown out. He promised he would pay for the repair, but shortly after, he butted heads with the person he was staying with, and skipped town. I got stuck with the $230 bill. Oh well. The only thing I would let someone borrow is my $25 guitar and maybe even my Strat. But that'd prolly be it.

Anybody know if all those guitars belong to Nigel (Chris Guest)making all those movies he could probably afford them.If he dosent own them somebody has a nice collection or they found some nice axes for the film from a bunch of people.

The guitars in that room were borrowed from "Norman's rare guitars" which is a rare and expensive guitar store in California. They have new and reasonably priced guitars too, but you can be sure if you stop in there, there will be some very nice and expensive vintage guitars.

I'm the same way, I've always said if they can't afford to buy it do you really think they'll be able to afford to fix it.

That's odd. While I have borrowed and loaned guitars and gear I have never asked to borrow any nor have I been asked to borrow any.

My friend Larry is a Parker nut. He has 5 of them and wants everyone to know how great they are. One day I got home from work and there was a box from Larry on my porch. After playing it for a year I'm sold. My next electric will likely be an old Parker Fly some time in 2015.

My friend PT has thought about buying an EllieCaster for years so I gave him mine to try for as long as he likes. Ellie Erickson makes great guitars and by letting PT take it with him and show it to his other guitar playing friends I help promote the work of an avant-garde luthier .

It's not like I don't still have a wall full of great guitars without that one

Sure, if a good bud, especially a bandmate, needs one (well, maybe not my LP Classic), I've loaned axes before. Amps too,

Here's a pic of my current bassist Schrek playing my T-bird:

252054_10150273524548879_512618878_7618277_4012352_n.jpg

Here's a pic of two loaned axes! Former bassist Drew playing my Jazz and guitarist Mitch playing my Les Paul Studio Doublecut (I'm playing my T-60):

012_8A.JPG

That's odd. While I have borrowed and loaned guitars and gear I have never asked to borrow any nor have I been asked to borrow any.

My friend Larry is a Parker nut. He has 5 of them and wants everyone to know how great they are. One day I got home from work and there was a box from Larry on my porch. After playing it for a year I'm sold. My next electric will likely be an old Parker Fly some time in 2015.

My friend PT has thought about buying an EllieCaster for years so I gave him mine to try for as long as he likes. Ellie Erickson makes great guitars and by letting PT take it with him and show it to his other guitar playing friends I help promote the work of an avant-garde luthier .

It's not like I don't still have a wall full of great guitars without that one

Obviously there exceptions to every rule, I'm not the guitar Hitler. [biggrin]

I've just had a few bad apples borrow my gear before and it's made me a lot more selective of who gets their hands on what. I turned sour to the idea after my main amp was returned with a cord tip broken off inside it's jack without any mention of it, I found out when I went to plug in. Same goes for a "buddy" who I loaned all my good cords to when he was playing at a battle of the bands, never saw them again... That said certain people could walk in and without asking and it's theirs to take without a bat of an eyelash.

Funny thing is, the one person I'd have no problem loaning any of my guitars to,

wouldn't even think of asking, or taking me up, on the offer.

Otherwise, and generally...based on past experience, No!

However...in the case of my being present, at a "Jam" or "open mic" type arrangement,

and someone wanting to "borrow" my guitar, for a number or two...Maybe! Would depend

on their demeanor (responsible like behavior, etc.), and/or how well I knew them.

CB

I've lent my guitars to friends on occasion with no problems. I've also borrowed guitars and amps from my friends. My buddy lets me use his Gold Top R7 all the time and another friend sometimes lends me his 1981 ash Stratocaster to play at gigs. I guess that's just the way me and my friends are with each other.

Of course I wouldn't lend them out to just anybody. But then realistically who else but a good friend is going ask to borrow a guitar or lend one to you? And also, my most expensive guitar is a Les Paul Studio. It's a great guitar and I love it, but it's not like some irreplaceable artifact. Friends are more important that "things" to me.

Not currently, and I don't see that changing these days (nor do I expect anyone would ask). In my younger days, it was not uncommon for equipment to be traded off to another for a week, or even longer. And my house being the "band house/jam house etc" (large room, very tolerant parents), I had a lot of gear left there for extended periods (2 different PA systems for months at a time, bass and guitar amps, and drum sets- including one friend who left a clear blue Lucite double bass set of Ludwigs for a year and a half!). I actually got halfway comfortable on the drums during that period.

One friend left a white hard tail Stratocaster ('71, wanted me to buy it for $225, wish I had!). This was around 1975 or so... Had and played that Strat for a couple of months, but TBH, my '67 Firebird really fit me much better back then.

For a half dozen or so close friends absolutely with no concerns at all, I have a lot more guitars than I do really close friends and those close friendship mean a lot more to me than anything I can simply buy with money. Ive even given good friends guitars when they needed one and were not able to buy one at that time. And the kindness has always been repaid in some way. I have two of my favorite acoustic out on loan right now to a good friend that was out here in Arizona and California visiting family he had a opportunity to do some really lucrative studio work over in California, but he would have had to fly either fly home to Chicago to get some of his gear or use something he could find in a local store. He called me asking what stores might have a guitar that would be right. I just told him to come over to the house and I gave him a 1953 J-45 since its probably the closet thing I have to his main guitar and one of my McPherson's to give him both Gibson jangle and the deep resonance of the McPherson all in all probably almost 15k worth of guitars and all I'm worried about is whether he got the tone he wanted or not.

Real friendship trumps money every time.

...almost 15k worth of guitars and all I'm worried about is whether he got the tone he wanted or not....Real friendship trumps money every time.

+1.

I couldn't agree more in respect of both considerations.

[thumbup]

P.

Guest rogerb

I will loan a guitar to a friend but that's about it. I have known players who loaned a guitar to musicians and found them later in a pawn shop. [glare]

Never loan anything; money, tools, guit tars, expecially to friends. It will, eventually, destroy the friendship. "Neither a borrower, nor a lender be."

If you feel you must, though, have a 'loaner' in your stable. I have a few 'loaner' tools, like my drill. My loaner is a Black and Decker. I never lend out my Milwaukee.

My daugher took my advice. 'Friends' were constantly wanting to borrow a hair brush or comb from her at school. She got all ooky about using a comb used by someone else... and rightly so. Therefore, she had HER brush and a 'loaner' brush she let whomever borrow. [crying]

Guest rogerb

Never loan anything; money, tools, guit tars, expecially to friends. It will, eventually, destroy the friendship. "Neither a borrower, nor a lender be."

If you feel you must, though, have a 'loaner' in your stable. I have a few 'loaner' tools, like my drill. My loaner is a Black and Decker. I never lend out my Milwaukee.

My daugher took my advice. 'Friends' were constantly wanting to borrow a hair brush or comb from her at school. She got all ooky about using a comb used by someone else... and rightly so. Therefore, she had HER brush and a 'loaner' brush she let whomever borrow. [crying]

I have to agree with you, that is a good rule.

February just gone, my faith in human nature was given a boost as on arriving in Spain and checking my guitar; the neck was cracked and I had a concert the next day.The money from the concert was all going to a disabled children's charity and had been advertised on the radio and the paper - the next morning the local news channel were coming to film a q and a with me and the organisers!!

On top of this, selfishly I was worried how I would cope with no guitar to use for five days plus the sadness of not knowing if my guitar was fixable.To cut a long story short a very kind native Classical guitarist who lived in the hills, agreed he would consider loaning me a guitar for he concert if we went to his house...

After explaining our problem he produced two amazing classical guitars (later we found they were his best ones) and let me choose which felt the best. Next day him and his wife came to the concert and the day after that, we took them out to say thanks. We made new friends through this! I realised my guitar breaking was a blessing in disguise!

So yes even recently I have borrowed a guitar and I have lent stuff out before. Sometimes I have had my fingers burned, but usually if you judge the situation, your instincts don't let you down. I think sometimes in life you have to let you guard down and give/loan what you have as like this story, there will be times you need help too.

Matt

Archived