Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else loan guitars besides me?

FenderGuy1

February just gone, my faith in human nature was given a boost as on arriving in Spain and checking my guitar; the neck was cracked and I had a concert the next day.The money from the concert was all going to a disabled children's charity and had been advertised on the radio and the paper - the next morning the local news channel were coming to film a q and a with me and the organisers!!

On top of this, selfishly I was worried how I would cope with no guitar to use for five days plus the sadness of not knowing if my guitar was fixable.To cut a long story short a very kind native Classical guitarist who lived in the hills, agreed he would consider loaning me a guitar for he concert if we went to his house...

After explaining our problem he produced two amazing classical guitars (later we found they were his best ones) and let me choose which felt the best. Next day him and his wife came to the concert and the day after that we took hem out to say thanks. We made new friends through this! I realised my guitar breaking was a blessing in disguise!

So yes even recently I have borrowed a guitar and have lent stuff out before. Sometimes I have had my fingers burned, but usually if you judge the situation your instincts don't let you down. I think sometimes in general you have to let you guard down.

Matt

Karma at its best. [thumbup]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've lent out a few guitars over the last few years, and even given away a few that I didn't play and that were useful for somebody else, the best one being a Favilla dreadnought. I've lent out a LoPrinzi LR-20, a Godin ACS (with a Roland synth), an Epi Masterbilt, my Guild Mark V, probably others I don't remember. Currently don't have any lent and the ones that were all came back in fine shape. Of course, I don't lend them to just anybody, but somebody I trust to treat them the way I would.

Brad

I think a willingness to lend depends on couple of things, First , of course, your past experience. I personally have lent out a good number of instuments, sometimes for up to a year at a time, with no bad results. My Les Paul has been around Europe and the US on tour, which is more than I have!. I think the second factor is something that has been discussed previously, the owner's tolerance for nicks, scrapes, scratches etc. I've never been of the mindset that wants to keep an instrument as close to new as possible, or has a cow if something gets a little scratch or ding on it. I I lend an instrument to someone for a year, I expect it to come back a bit more worn than when it left. If you'r really bothered by wear marks of any sort, never lend anything.

That reminds me of an interseting paradox. I wonder if players who pay a huge premium for those"heavily pre-worn:" fender custom shop instruments that look like they've been dragged behind a truck, refuse to let their friends to touch them because they might scratch the finish ?

I only trust one friend with my guitars. I thought I could trust my brother maintain my gear, but when I returned from Iraq everything was neglected or destroyed. My vintage alvarez yairi had a hole punctured through the top, my normal alvarez had a cracked headstock and all my guitars' strings were oxidized and rusted to the point of which it resembled the statue of liberty, necks were all bowed of coarse. Gah! I get angry thinking about it because he appreciates music as much as I do. Unfortunately he's never bought his own guitar so I do think he respects instruments. Anyways lesson learned.... And that is make sure he/she respects instruments before lending out.

Never loan anything; money, tools, guit tars, expecially to friends. It will, eventually, destroy the friendship. "Neither a borrower, nor a lender be."

If you feel you must, though, have a 'loaner' in your stable. I have a few 'loaner' tools, like my drill. My loaner is a Black and Decker. I never lend out my Milwaukee.

My daugher took my advice. 'Friends' were constantly wanting to borrow a hair brush or comb from her at school. She got all ooky about using a comb used by someone else... and rightly so. Therefore, she had HER brush and a 'loaner' brush she let whomever borrow. [crying]

February just gone, my faith in human nature was given a boost as on arriving in Spain and checking my guitar; the neck was cracked and I had a concert the next day.The money from the concert was all going to a disabled children's charity and had been advertised on the radio and the paper - the next morning the local news channel were coming to film a q and a with me and the organisers!!

On top of this, selfishly I was worried how I would cope with no guitar to use for five days plus the sadness of not knowing if my guitar was fixable.To cut a long story short a very kind native Classical guitarist who lived in the hills, agreed he would consider loaning me a guitar for he concert if we went to his house...

After explaining our problem he produced two amazing classical guitars (later we found they were his best ones) and let me choose which felt the best. Next day him and his wife came to the concert and the day after that, we took them out to say thanks. We made new friends through this! I realised my guitar breaking was a blessing in disguise!

So yes even recently I have borrowed a guitar and I have lent stuff out before. Sometimes I have had my fingers burned, but usually if you judge the situation, your instincts don't let you down. I think sometimes in life you have to let you guard down and give/loan what you have as like this story, there will be times you need help too.

Matt

There are rules to live by. Then there are extenuating circumstances. If I had a decent enough guitar, I would have loaned you mine given this set of circumstances. Hoo Ray for folks willing to go above and beyond to support a noble cause.

Thumbs up to you and the loaner of said guitar. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

There are rules to live by. Then there are extenuating circumstances. If I had a decent enough guitar, I would have loaned you mine given this set of circumstances. Hoo Ray for folks willing to go above and beyond to support a noble cause.

Thumbs up to you and the loaner of said guitar. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

cheers amigo

cheers amigo

If a kid had to play at his prom and came up and said he needed a guitar because of a legitimate reason, I'd gladly offer my Strat. If he doesn't "like" Strats, then I would call around for him for a different option. If nothing works, I'm not his sent angel. If you, Matt, needed a high end electric, and after the background check cleared [sneaky] , I'd gladly let you use a reissue Gibson. From what I know of you, you are a professional in more ways than one, so that would be a no brainer. Now, if it was dem00n......... [flapper] I'd make sure I have EMG's available for him [biggrin] .

But seriously, in the end, I believe we want to be helpful, not foolish. But I'd help as much as I can.

Archived