Gibson Brands Forums

RISK

Californiaman

It rained most of the day here on the Central Coast.

The lightning show last night and early this morning was spectacular.

So because it was soggy and wet in the 805 I thought it was time to teach my sons how to play RISK. They're home for Easter break and we needed to spend some quality time together.

So I broke out the RISK game. That's right. RISK, that classic board game from the '60s. I played it throughout the '70s and into the '80s.

Back then we'd play for hours and hours until someone eventually took over the world.

As it was during my youth, it was board game time well spent here in Hooterville.

My kids were busy for over two hours. The best thing about it... we're still not finished with the game.

The turn-in is up to 35 armies now.

I'm holding onto the African continent with some substantial boarders across North Africa, Egypt and the Middle East which is part of Asia. I also have substantial armies in Southern Europe, Brazil and Chili. My youngest son has Australia, Indonesia, South Pacific and Siam. He has armies throughout Asia and Europe and has begun to colonize North America. The older boy has been unable to hold the South America continent and even made a run at holding North America only to lose both continents because neither his brother nor I are willing to sit idly by while he tries to cash in on the extra seven armies that possessing all that territory would give him each turn.

Can't wait to finish tonight.

My game's from the early '60s.

I know it's gone through countless incarnations.

Any RISK fans here?

Snapshot2012-04-1316-32-44.jpg

Snapshot2012-04-1316-52-57.jpg

I love RISK! I've been playing since I was a kid. My friends and I still play today, epic all night long battles of attrition! Many beers consumed and sometimes we even connect a second game board and do a weekend long campaign. Sometimes we play the Castle Risk version but not as much as regular Risk. What a great game. How brutal ties to the defender can be -LOL!

My brother and I played it many, many times; much to the chagrin of my mother.

The one thing I miss are the original pieces they used for armies. They were made of wood. Later they were replaced with plastic.

I liked the wood ones better for some reason. They were heavier. Easier to keep on the board.

Yeah, RISK brings back memories..... :)

My brother and I played it many, many times; much to the chagrin of my mother.

The one thing I miss are the original pieces they used for armies. They were made of wood. Later they were replaced with plastic.

I liked the wood ones better for some reason. They were heavier. Easier to keep on the board.

Yeah, RISK brings back memories..... :)

That's my game.

Original in every way.

Wooden and manufactured in 1963, the year I was born.

Love that game! My buds and I in HS used to put on great classic and southern rock and play that game and bash on each other. My brother and I introduced my 10 yr old son to it a couple months back - we were trying to show him that games can have a good communal interaction - and he loved it!

I used to play RISK when I was going to Uni and missed a good few classes because I was wrapped up in a good game at the campus newspaper office.I was pretty well undefeated,despite being a devout pacifist I was ruthless at playing RISK and routinely wiped out the board.I haven't played it since my Uni days in the early 70s and don't remember at all how to play it.

BTW there were a few more games we used to play between classes and they were all card games,they were: Hearts,Sergeant Major and Murder.They were all great games too but I forget how all of them were played also.

Yeah we used to sit and drink and smoke and listen to so many cool classic albums from the '60s, '70s and '80s.

Nothing like a game a RISK, a refridgerator full of beer, some good smoke and the Beetles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Lou Reed, Bowie, Zeppellin and Black Sabbath spinning on the turntable.

Good harmless fun.

Archived